Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

It's getting a wee bit breezy here again now with rain in and off. T is currently 6c according to the as but feels much colder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

How we looking for snaw on the coasts LS?

Not too bad on the east coast, WNWerly's about as good as it gets for marginality, but the main problem generally is that the wind will remain pretty strong so even sheltered locations won't get much below 0C:

nmmuktempnew.png nmmukgust.png

I reckon it's borderline for Edinburgh itself as far as accumulations go, although it looks like it'll cop quite a lot of the snow (with -7C uppers in the mix it will be snow away from maybe sea level right on the west coast) so if you get a heavy shower after 6pm it might knock temperatures down enough for it to lie. Glasgow probably similar although maybe a degree or so higher, west of there you need at least 100m or a bit of luck to have much hope of seeing anything stick.

The main problem for the Fife/Angus coast could be a lack of precipitation, might be one of those odd situations like we saw in early December where Carnoustie or Crail is colder than Crieff but it's always difficult to see showers getting that far through by evening. I suspect one or two will given the strength of the wind, so possibly a dusting pretty far east too.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Calm before the storm up here at the mo! Just WNW at 2.6kts. Looking a lot livelier by breakfast time tomorrow and possibly some snow thrown in as well!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

-5C uppers or lower on every chart on the ECM bar Sunday:

ecmt850.024.png  ecmt850.072.png ecmt850.096.png ecmt850.120.png ecmt850.144.png ecmt850.168.png ecmt850.192.png ecmt850.216.png ecmt850.240.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Temperatures shot up to 10.4C after the passage of the warm front earlier. Awaiting the cold front, odd to think it's going to be the complete opposite of mild tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Awe thanks for the Carnoustie mention LS. Yeah Carnoustie often colder than my weekend retreat in Dundee (just off Forfar Aberdeen duel carriage way). No snow in Carnoustie while it maybe throwing it down here in Dundee.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Full hairdryer here 11c. Should peg back after 9pm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well the power went off at 12.25am last night and isn't back on yet. Had to drive 5 miles to get a mobile signal too. Something quite nice about it though.

Got this map from SSE and most of Scotland looks like one big power cut.

https://www.ssepd.co.uk/powertrack/

Whether this is still the case, I don't know... But emailed friends in Kinrossie, Perth this morning and they haven't replied so far which is unusual. They have iPads and mobiles, so perhaps that's the explanation if the signal's been knocked out as well. Thanks for the tip off - I was quite worried.

Hope they get their act together and it's back to normal soon. It's quite breezy here in Suffolk tonight although this morning was nice and calm.

• Like 1

Posted

hows the snow chances for tomorrow here in West Lothian Lomond?

I wouldn't guarantee anything but you're pretty well placed overall, not too far east to miss the showers and not so far west that temperatures are too high. It could still downgrade a bit but you should get at least a dusting and a decent chance of a proper covering. by early Sunday.

I'd take that big storm barrelling right through here, some of the nonsense I've heard today about last night's "storm" here has been a little baffling. Show 'em what a real storm is all about...

A truly tropical 13.6ºC here :D

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Power has been on and off here since 3pm. Hope it manages to stay on tonight despite the wind getting up again. Internet connection keeps dropping out too. ACH well, the joys of a winter storm, eh?

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

At the moment temp/dew temp of 11.7/11.1 and a wind chill of 7.2. Sounds windy too. Amazing that the winds started picking up at almost exactly the same time as yesterday although won't be quite as strong tonight

Posted

Great to see this thread busy again!

Interesting to see the rising temps just to the south of me. Still only 6c here, I guess that will increase very soon.

Excellent, level-headed analysis as usual LS!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Just been out to shut the chickens up for the night, although they are very sheltered in their coop inside their run. It is howling and sounds horribly scary already.

My heating is now on full blast all the time! Stuck motorised valve no doubt! Shame it wasn't colder out and I could open the windows to cool things down.

Snow prospects seem smaller over here in the east but who knows??

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 1

Posted

Great to see this thread busy again!

Interesting to see the rising temps just to the south of me. Still only 6c here, I guess that will increase very soon.

Excellent, level-headed analysis as usual LS!

Incredibly, it's 12.2C here! It did rise pretty rapidly though, was sitting around 5C at 6.30pm then shot up to 11C by 8pm. Unusual to see such an active warm front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: long snowy winters, fresh spring, balmy summers, and cool crispy autumns

Crikey wat a nite n day of it! Wind is pickn up again here tho I managed to sleep quite a bit last nite so missed the lightening-poo

Proper raging!

Glad milkmaid is ok. Pals hubby had a lucky escape en route to Dundee at haft six this morning and his car was hit by a falling tree!

Very lucky he walked away from it without a scratch!

Stay safe awbdy. I luv weather but that this morning proper scared us!

• Like 2

Posted

The GFS has clearly decided that we got off too lightly this time:

h500slp.png ukwind.png ukwind.png

Those are sustained winds by the way, gusts easily 90-100mph. The track keeps changing so hopefully it'll weaken and end up much further north/south (long term further south probably best).

Still looks decent for snow tomorrow afternoon/evening, again more marginal the further south/west you are (and probably not quite as cold as EURO4 shows) but what falls will almost certainly be snow from about midday through to Sunday morning, so with a bit of luck, and a bit of intensity, we could well see some decent accumulations to low levels.

The consensus seems to be that temperatures for most start off around 3-4C at midday (down drastically from the 12C we could see tonight) before getting down to 1-2C. West of Glasgow may see temperatures struggle to get below 3C except in the heaviest showers and that would obviously mean a lack of accumulations but certainly looks like showers should get right through to the North Sea fairly easily.

As ever, it looks pretty good for both MoffatRoss and NL to get a few cms, hopefully the rest of us can join in as well this time:

15011100_0906.gif 15011106_0906.gif

EURO4 suggesting 10cm for the Lothians, D+G, Moray and Inverness, and 5-10cm for most of the rest of us, but if we got half that I'd be chuffed:

15011106_0906.gif

10cm's of snow for us in Prestonpans right on the Forth? I'll believe it when i see it. Like many of you i have yet to see snow on the ground this winter or last so hoping for a little something tomorrow. Supposed to be driving to Falkirk tomorrow evening but i gather that may not be a good idea?

Edited by Snowman09

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Incredibly, it's 12.2C here! It did rise pretty rapidly though, was sitting around 5C at 6.30pm then shot up to 11C by 8pm. Unusual to see such an active warm front.

I took a reading of the temp from my w/s at 9PM at 5.1C. It is now 10.5C, a rise of over 5C in an hour!

By morning it will be well down again I assume?

I took a reading of the temp from my w/s at 9PM at 5.1C. It is now 10.5C, a rise of over 5C in an hour!

By morning it will be well down again I assume?

Aye, it'll be away down by 9am. The temp here is down to 12.8ºC from a high of 14ºC earlier.

18z GFSP takes the low so far south that we end up with a proper spell of snow in central and southern Scotland on Wednesday into Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cairngorm summit shows a temp of 9.1C currently from -2.8C at 4PM. Must be shifting a bit of snow. Looks like it will be more than replaced though over the next few days.