Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Easing off here now but what fell lay. Got text from lad, game off. Away team will be a bit annoyed but not something you can account for.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Thursday night in Bettyhill was the windiest I've known. Power went off soon after my last post, which also meant the local mobile masts drop out. The devil started to play a merry tune on the roof slates then branches came off the tree next to the house. Didn't get any more sleep, just lay there with the pressure waves almost making my ears pop.

Drove home yesterday. Damage on the north coast is considerable with sheds, barns, caravans, fences etc flattened or disappeared. Lots (I mean lots) of tree down, snapped or root plates up. The strangest widespread damage is to road signs, many are damaged or destroyed - uprooted, snapped off, bent over, broken, twisted or wherever the weakest point is. Never seen this amount of damage to signs before... Perhaps standards are dropping or perhaps it was just ridiculously windy. I've not heard of anyone being badly hurt yet which is a minor miracle in those conditions.

Black Isle largely without power till late last night. Now snowing to sea level although not sticking on the beach.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Hoping for a good blizzard at the hibs game today !

GFSP 6z has the storm at 935mb and further north

I hope yous get beat. I'm a Falkirk supporter :D

At about 10.45 there was a hail/snow shower associated with strong winds which was starting to lie before it went off. Then there was another light snow shower. I think the winds are starting to ease a little bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Easing off here now but what fell lay. Got text from lad, game off. Away team will be a bit annoyed but not something you can account for.

Aye, two of my friends were wanting to go see Queens play Raith Rovers but I advised them it may not be the best idea, considering Abington Summit, Beatock summit etc could very easily be white on the way back 5pm onwards.

Might be ok but sometimes it's better to avoid (an unnecessary) journey in winter-time even If the snow isn't lying.... Yet.

No clue if they have headed that advise haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

Aye, two of my friends were wanting to go see Queens play Raith Rovers but I advised them it may not be the best idea, considering Abington Summit, Beatock summit etc could very easily be white on the way back 5pm onwards.

Might be ok but sometimes it's better to avoid (an unnecessary) journey in winter-time even If the snow isn't lying.... Yet.

No clue if they have headed that advise haha

That game is off

Posted

I hope yous get beat. I'm a Falkirk supporter :D

At about 10.45 there was a hail/snow shower associated with strong winds which was starting to lie before it went off. Then there was another light snow shower. I think the winds are starting to ease a little bit.

were on form so hopefully a nice 3 points the day :-)

same as you here, looks like winds have eased right down and no showers getting through here now, not sure if will pep up later?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Sun shining and still pretty windy. Heading into the big smoke (edinburgh) in a wee while so I'm hoping the snow stays light for my drive home tonightâ„ï¸

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Zz this is exactly like last Friday. Not happening today. Cant see much chance of lying snow today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Not had a shower pass in a little while. T does seem to be dropping - down from 3-3.5 to 2.0 C now.

Might mean what does reach me starts to stick later.

Still pretty windy; broke my gate handle off. Managed to MacGyver up a new split ring to get it fixed temporarily. Wind raw on the hands trying to do that. :cold:

EDIT. Hey hey, just looked oot the windae and a light snaw shower is sticking on the trusty garden bench.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

That game is off

Cheers. That answers that then :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Wee light shower in againâ„ï¸

Edit now a blizzard !! Sticking on table and trying to stick on ground. Big flakes.

Edited by snowy owl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Zz this is exactly like last Friday. Not happening today. Cant see much chance of lying snow today.

Starting to lie here on the grass and car roofs. Road's clear though. We must be quite near you as we're right on the south of town, up the hill. Fingers crossed it might stick a bit more later. Edited by snowidea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just been out for a walk with the dog, her idea, honest. Pleasant when the sun is out and the wind drops. Baltic when it's the opposite. Earlier lying snow is melting, especially on the roads and paths. Still getting occasional flurries bit nothing like the one earlier.

Posted

Latest shower is sticking nicely on all surfaces. Fingers crossed for later after all!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks like the lull is off and showers are starting to pep up and get further east again, plenty of time still for it to stick with at least 12 hours left of snow potential with no sign that showers will die away.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

The question now is, do I stay in and mind the fire, make soup and listen to the radio - or get my gear on and go for a bike ride.

Lol, no contest.

• Like 2

Posted

Good to see snow sticking at relatively modest levels - 140 metres, and with temps set to drop further and nightfall approaching it bodes well for many more places at lower heights to see snow.

• Like 1