Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Only a few have managed to hit the ground here today as it has been so windy!    Not very much to speak of really as the showers have been few and far between.   0.9c/00c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Not had a shower for a while but the good news is went out to the bin and sky is clear with the snow from earlier on frozen to the lid so augurs well if we get some showers

• Like 1

I doubt I'll be seeing snow tonight. I've tracked a shower all the way from over the Firth of Clyde, it looked good for a direct hit which it duly managed. Shame it completely fizzled from being a decent sized shower, to a blob, to almost nothing by the time it 'hit' here. I'm surprised at how quickly it fizzled, so surprised it's taken the edge off the disappointment!! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Plenty showers constantly packing in but they're delivering nothing but wet snow/sleet. So close but so far.... It might continue to cool down but I think it'll be unlikely for any snow to lie, even the hills are green still (upon inspection at dusk)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Another dissapointing day here. The showers seem to bedying back now and there is no lying snow.

Posted

had a couple of good showers in the past 2 hours, left a fairly decent covering on all surfaces, doesn't seem to be melting much between showers either. I feel a decent night may be on the cards for my location. Last time we had this kind of set-up here I woke up to nearly a 4 inch covering. Difference being tomorrow that after a possible longer transient spell of snow in the morning, by the afternoon it'll be lashing down with rain and anything built up on the ground will melt at a rapid pace. Hopeful for monday evening onwards though.  

• Like 3

Posted

Yes, think we have seen the best of it here I suspect - Shame it didn't settle but better than nothing I guess

Euro4 looks better for later tonight but I don't think I trust it LOL

• Like 2

Posted

Just took a quick walk/slide/breakdance to the local shop. Pavements and roads are lethal this evening. Watched a couple of folk land face first, my own danger was all that stopped the normal snigger to such events.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Radar still doesn't look too bad for later on, both the NMM and EURO4 have showers continuing to feed across the central belt through the night so still a bit of hope but the shower activity hasn't been quite as intense or widespread as I would've expected so far.

A few reasons for optimism that Monday night into Tuesday and Wednesday might be better are a) better longevity of the flow b) the wind direction is more like SWerly than NWerly:

gfs-0-6.png?12  gfs-0-72.png?12

This should help feed in showers more widely and means central areas aren't having to fight to get showers to make it across the Highlands.

c) the air pressure is likely to be at least 10mb lower, which means that we both get slightly more bang for our buck with the upper air temperatures and convection may be a bit more vigorous and d) troughs and possibly even an occlusion are likely to feature:

PPVK89.png

• Like 8

Posted

had a couple of good showers in the past 2 hours, left a fairly decent covering on all surfaces, doesn't seem to be melting much between showers either. I feel a decent night may be on the cards for my location. Last time we had this kind of set-up here I woke up to nearly a 4 inch covering. Difference being tomorrow that after a possible longer transient spell of snow in the morning, by the afternoon it'll be lashing down with rain and anything built up on the ground will melt at a rapid pace. Hopeful for monday evening onwards though.  

The elevation must be helping as the snow showers on and off all day in Motherwell have been very wet and have never really looked like lying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Plenty of snow showers here but only lying on cars and a little on the grass, nice to see snow falling from the sky though instead of boring old rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Radar looks good once again, some proper reds out around Oban again which is a good sign for showers feeding further east.
West Fife seems to be doing a bit better out of this again (as it does in most setups), although I'm sure Freuchie will see plenty of snow next week when I'm back in Edinburgh :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted

The elevation must be helping as the snow showers on and off all day in Motherwell have been very wet and have never really looked like lying.

Yeah I would imagine so, Always appears to be the case in the marginal set-ups, I've seen inches of snow around allanton, shotts and Harthill in these set-ups then by the time you get to wishaw its nothing but wet roads and sleety mush

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)
  • Like 1

Posted

Been working up on Lowther Hill 3 days this week, installing bits for our ski tows, strengthening the engine building, digging holes etc, and it's snowed each day. Today was super-wild though, proper blizzard conditions mostly on rather than off, and drifts getting bigger all the time. It's chucking it down in Moffat too now, and a few cm's have accumulated already. Shame it'll get washed away tomorrow.

• Like 1