Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Heavy snow shower here for past 20 minutes. Trying to lie on grass, cars etc but roads and pavements just wet. Are conditions expected to get a bit more favourable for lying snow after dark?

Edited by Snowman09
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Starting to lie here on the grass and car roofs. Road's clear though. We must be quite near you as we're right on the south of town, up the hill. Fingers crossed it might stick a bit more later.

Haininng Grove..Just off vellore Road. Newish estate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

The last shower here tried to stick but eased off just at the wrong time. Grass was briefly white(ish).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just to the south of this shower annoyingly, snowing but not quite heavily enough for it to lie, everywhere north of us up to Perth must be getting a pasting though!

Heavy snow shower here for past 20 minutes. Trying to lie on grass, cars etc but roads and pavements just wet. Are conditions expected to get a bit more favourable for lying snow after dark?

Yep, temperatures should drop 1-2C then and push the lying snow line down a bit more.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Yup just started to lie here....hopefully if they keep getting through may even have a cm to allow sledging tomorrowpost-15765-0-85193400-1420905009_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Pentlands nicely covered. Wee covering on Arthur's Seat. Huge bank of cloud over to the west / North . Hope it stays clear till we get to the party:)

Posted

Crail snaw shield holding firm, after letting a few rogue flakes through earlier. Showers fading before they get here, Perth contingent stole my snaw. ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Hawsey still time for you to get some flakes! keep the snaw faith!  :friends:

Hmm was just starting to settle here and has just stopped again. Not really for settling on the roads - just on grass, rooves etc. Think dew points just a bit marginal at my level. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Had some flurries of snow/graupel stuff, nothing lying. It doesnae get a chance as the wind just picks it up and flings it somewhere else!! Damned cauld though, need to stoke up the fire again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Crail snaw shield holding firm, after letting a few rogue flakes through earlier. Showers fading before they get here, Perth contingent stole my snaw. ;-)

Think you're on the same shower trajectory as me this time, last two showers missed to the north, now this one's gone too far south! The next one looks pretty beefy and heading right for us so surely it can't miss too, right?

1.9/0C here so it should stick.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Haininng Grove..Just off vellore Road. Newish estate!

Ahh, we're up in the Lionthorn area of Falkirk, nearish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Totally white everywhere in 10mins.

Jealous lol iv had a few flakes in leeds and thats it i need what youve got lol :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hawsey still time for you to get some flakes! keep the snaw faith! :friends:

Hmm was just starting to settle here and has just stopped again. Not really for settling on the roads - just on grass, rooves etc. Think dew points just a bit marginal at my level.

Aye, always feel it's a waste of a good snow shower when it's like this. Edited by cscrim

Posted

Hi all, nice to see some decent snow showers coming through. Thought this would be a perfect time to quickly plug our free android snow radar app (ios coming v soon btw). :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netweather.snowradar&hl=en_GB

Hope you find it useful..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Think you're on the same shower trajectory as me this time, last two showers missed to the north, now this one's gone too far south! The next one looks pretty beefy and heading right for us so surely it can't miss too, right?

1.9/0C here so it should stick.

It's so often the way that the showers split north and south of the Lomonds in these set ups.  Looking at that enormous splodge approaching you'd rightly think it was impossible to avoid........but then again.....

• Like 1

I'm told there were a few flakes here earlier, although I'm not sure if that was simply someone's dandruff. Fingers crossed for later, Euro4 looked more promising for here later on in the night.

Posted

Much overlooked is the actual ground/soil temperature. To get snow to lay we need a decent frost. My iceometer (garden pond) is completely free of ice after the warm spell so I wouldn't expect any real accumulation to last. 

That said, the air temp feels very chilly and a few flakes have made it through with the sleet but they are melting on impact with the ground.

Posted

It's so often the way that the showers split north and south of the Lomonds in these set ups.  Looking at that enormous splodge approaching you'd rightly think it was impossible to avoid........but then again.....

Yep, even the showers that make it as far as Cupar/Auchtermuchty then seem to dissipate over the (relatively) high ground between here and there.

Still, I've seen a few flakes falling today so that's broken my duck for the winter!

• Like 2

Much overlooked is the actual ground/soil temperature. To get snow to lay we need a decent frost. My iceometer (garden pond) is completely free of ice after the warm spell so I wouldn't expect any real accumulation to last. 

That said, the air temp feels very chilly and a few flakes have made it through with the sleet but they are melting on impact with the ground.

Aye, a very cold ground can make a big difference and can save your snow for a long time. That's what we had in Kilmacolm in Feb/March 2010, the snow/slush froze from the ground up and lasted for days afterwards.

While the track of Thursday's storm is still all over the place, there's one thing which looks certain, somewhere is going to get thumped. Latest UKMO takes the storm well south, GFS+GFSP seem to take the storm further north, varying between the worst winds hitting Wales, southern Scotland or central Scotland depending on each run. The GEM and JMA run the storm at varying tracks, as does the ECM.