Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Just been out to shut the chickens up for the night, although they are very sheltered in their coop inside their run. It is howling and sounds horribly scary already.

My heating is now on full blast all the time! Stuck motorised valve no doubt! Shame it wasn't colder out and I could open the windows to cool things down.

Snow prospects seem smaller over here in the east but who knows??

This happened to me and I was able to control it by isolating the power to the control clock...shut off power to that and heating goes off...means you need to set alarm to get up and switch heating on in morning but at least gives you a little bit of control till get the valve sorted

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

10cm's of snow for us in Prestonpans right on the Forth? I'll believe it when i see it. Like many of you i have yet to see snow on the ground this winter or last so hoping for a little something tomorrow. Supposed to be driving to Falkirk tomorrow evening but i gather that may not be a good idea?

I wouldn't take it those too literally, they do have a tendency to overdo snow accumulations, but I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up with some lying snow. A lot depends on where the heaviest showers end up, which on this run is a bit further north, so consequently half (or maybe more) of your hypothetical accumulations were wiped out in 6 hours:

15011106_0918.gif

:laugh:

I think anyone below 200m getting over an inch out of this should consider themselves lucky, it's not inconceivable that somewhere could max out on luck and get 2+inches (most of us are definitely overdue on that front) but air temperatures still don't look cold enough that you can assume snow will settle easily.

You might be alright but at the moment it looks like a lot of the shower activity will be around the Lothians at that time:

15011100_0918.gif

Definitely looks a nowcast situation.

• Like 3

Posted

Just got the leccky back on after a 12 hour break. There were 3 high voltage line breaks with cables on the ground in this area according to hydro boys a very rough night here. Numerous trees in the woods down and a newly constructed turning circle for the wood lorries is now twice the size it was with a swath of trees all round knocked down. Currently dull light wind and 4.2c

Power went off again just after this post and only just back on again. Wind getting up again and very wet. Currently 9.9c.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Had a wee look outside!

A bit blowy and very wet.

Need snaw noo LS!!!

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori
  • Like 3

Posted

I wouldn't take it those too literally, they do have a tendency to overdo snow accumulations, but I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up with some lying snow. A lot depends on where the heaviest showers end up, which on this run is a bit further north, so consequently half (or maybe more) of your hypothetical accumulations were wiped out in 6 hours:

15011106_0918.gif

:laugh:

I think anyone below 200m getting over an inch out of this should consider themselves lucky, it's not inconceivable that somewhere could max out on luck and get 2+inches (most of us are definitely overdue on that front) but air temperatures still don't look cold enough that you can assume snow will settle easily.

You might be alright but at the moment it looks like a lot of the shower activity will be around the Lothians at that time:

15011100_0918.gif

Definitely looks a nowcast situation.

Thanks for the reply LS!

Yea I know those charts ought to be taken with a pinch of salt but we can dream :)

To be honest I'll just be happy to see snow on the ground here, a cm or two will do me!

You could do reasonably well in Freuchie if you get your fair share of showers!

Looking at that chart I reckon I'll give Falkirk a miss tonight! Plenty snow around at that time by the looks of it.

Gusty and drizzly here at the moment but winds nothing like as strong as this time yesterday.

Edited by Snowman09
  • Like 1

Posted

Thought it was a squall coming through, maybe the cold front at Glencoe, but the temperature hasn't yet gone down much and that was over an hour ago - pretty well completely damn mental here on Rannoch Moor atm!! Gust to 97mph at car park, and that is taken from a temporary anemometer mounted on a 3m pole lashed to a stevenson screen !!

• Like 1

Posted

Just walked up from my mate's house in a pretty intense blowy rainy night (after falling down his stairs pished :)) as they say be careful out there!

Feels just pleasant temps too!

G

Edited by grifter
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Got woken up by the racket! Top gust so far here 54kts = 62mph. Amber alert issued for gusts up to 100 mph!

• Like 4

This morning's ECM is lining the 15th Jan storm up for a direct hit on NI and the Borders, including D&G:

post-2844-0-95782100-1420871186_thumb.gi

The 00z GFSP takes a similar line, with 80mph+ gusts right across the south of Scotland.

Posted

Another very windy night , showers rattling through now! And turning to hail!

Don't like the look of that storm next week :( here is hoping that we all stay safe

Look a storm

Wind raging in my face

Light creeping in the sky

Grass turning green at pace

The sun rising in my eye

Walk in a line a battle

The wind blowing for

My hood sways in rattle

The path in front a open door

My mind clears in the heavy sky

The space between guides

Broken steps build bridges

Happy thoughts dance in my eye

• Like 2

Posted

Top gust now 76mph. Don't know if I will be on much longer, electric flickering like crazy.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

I thought id sleep like a log tonight after last nights storm, but no. Nae chance. 

Posted

Top gusts in Shetland so far: Lerwick Met Observatory 83mph, Gulberwick Weather Station 76mph, Toft (North east mainland) 67mph, Baltasound (Unst) 66mph, Sandness (West coast) 65mph

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Wide Awake Kilties! Blawy again during the nicht hail and sleet showers too. I doubt very much that I'll see any of the white stuff here, I'm too close to the sea and too low down! Those of you who get snow today...enjoy!

Posted

Thats the end of my wind readings for the time being, my anemometer has just been ripped off the pole and is dangling by it's cable!

• Like 4

Posted

Thats the end of my wind readings for the time being, my anemometer has just been ripped off the pole and is dangling by it's cable!

be  safe  lol  sounds a  bit wild!!

Posted

Top gust in the last hr now 96mph recorded at the Lerwick Met Obsy which is probably what did for my anemometer!

• Like 2

Posted

Top gust in the last hr now 96mph recorded at the Lerwick Met Obsy which is probably what did for my anemometer!

just see  lerwiick  reports of  97 mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

It was snowing wetly here about 20 mins ago, not sticking obviously. Been a windy couple of days glad everyone got through safely. We lost a bit of our gate and a plastic thing from the side of the roof. Just glad all the tiles stayed on this time.

Posted

Turning sleety already. To be honest I wish it would ease off entirely for a few hours so it can dry up a bit.

Edit: Turned pretty quickly to heavy wet snow

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Very very windy night. I'm normally a good sleeper, Infact, I enjoy it when it's stormy but this takes the biscuit.

It has never stopped raining all night.

Unfortunately, the met office only forecast sleet here instead of snow tonight but Stirling is forecast snow Tuesday so maybe I'll see some lying snow then.

Yes, Catch. That Storm on on the 15th looks bad :(

Posted

Nothing in the way of snow here as yet but the wind is still really strong and I'm hearing creaks from the house I've not heard before. Temp is currently 3c. Stay safe, everyone.

Posted

Hurricane Bawbag II is still on the cards for next week then, cross model agreement for Strength and track as well

Be a red metO warning if that verifies and I'm meant to be on a flight that mornin

Edited by JoeShmoe