Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Just been oot with dug in blizzard conditions, ground starting to to turn white

Same here (apart from the dog bit!) shower has died down tho and is melting quite quickly.

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I'm finding it hard to concentrate on any other type of weather at the moment, as I feel really concerned about that possible storm mid next week.   I hope that does one rather quickly as the damage that would cause could be horrendous.   It's ominous that most models have some sort of touch on it.   Hope it starts to downgrade and I wouldn't say shift either, as who would wish that on anyone else!. :shok:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Nighttime has descended here. Hail and snow falling .

Edit now a blizzard and snow is lying.

Edited by snowy owl
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Heavy shower of graupel here just now & starting to lie. 2.9C/0C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Had some hail showers this morning, followed briefly by a wee snow flurry. Skies are clearing now and according to my weather station, it's -3.1c with a wind chill of -8c. Better go and get some more coal for the fire. Lorenzo, if those charts stay the way they are, for once Skye will be let off lightly as it looks as if we'll be in the eye of the storm. Either way, that looks like a real stoater oan it's way! Will be watching those charts with great interest!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Snow starting to lie on the hills here, world turning nice and white!

Posted

Dry and sunny under blue skies in Crail, strong and gusty westerly wind. Currently 3.3c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

From blue skies to dark skies and the heaviest snow of the morning so far. All good !

• Like 3

Posted

Yep got that one here and now the grass and cars etc are all white. I won't be back here until tomorrow night so it will all have melted, but I'd be surprised if we didn't pick up 4-6inches of snow here.(probably double that with sods law since I won't see it!!!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

As per above, the difference inside less than two minutes.

post-7292-0-00125100-1420890840_thumb.pnpost-7292-0-64430800-1420890832_thumb.pn

Brilliant ! V6 Radar grab from the blob* that turned off the lights..

post-7292-0-11097200-1420890990_thumb.jp

*possibly the best used technical term ever on this thread, always randomly reminds me of this

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Periodic heavy rain showers here. Lined up one after the other it seems. No sign of any snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

LS, what's the chance I that storm getting downgraded? or not being such a direct hit (on me)....

I'm away at Uni and my mum is away in Tenerife (it's alright for some...) so 5 dogs and 4 horses are being taken care of by the neighbours.... That storm could prove problematic in this situation

Edit: snow in the showers but it looks like I'll be too marginal today for any lying snow. I wouldn't have to travel that far to see some though :)

I think it's almost certain to downgrade at least a bit, already the 6Z runs take the central pressure down to more like 960mb than the 930mb seen on at least one run:

gfs-0-108.png

I still think a period of strong winds looks likely given the estimated track but I would expect corrections one way or another. The models have been flirting with correcting it southwards so perhaps that's more likely than a northwards correction, and if so we could end up with a particularly snowy setup rather than a very stormy one (and there's not much chance it could correct so far south that we missed out altogether).

To put this low in perspective, this is the chart from when the lowest air pressure in Scottish history was recorded, 926mb near Crieff:

archives-1884-1-27-0-0.png

so there's at least one historical example of the most extreme setup coming off, but it would still be an incredibly rare event.

Anyway, back to today and things seem to be, if anything, panning out marginally better than expected. Temperature here was 4.3C an hour ago but has since plummeted to 2C  after two heavy showers (all snow). Not properly lying yet on the ground but the snow line is maybe 100m and the next shower will almost certainly lie. At the moment showers are easily making their way across the country and remaining very intense so it's coming together nicely for some proper lying snow later on.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Heavy snow here in SE Glasgow , landing on cars/roof but not on ground as its very wet but hopefully starts to land later (4pm onwards).

Posted

41 days into winter and still waiting on that elusive first snowflake to fall from the sky. Will today be the day? None of the showers have made it over here as yet but I'm feeling unrealistically optimistic! ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Snow shower hit now and it's really wild and blizzard like outside at the moment. Doing its best to lie and plaster even the vertical surfaces. Eldest headed off earlier to play footie, game supposed to start at 1:30pm but at this rate a late call off might be in order. Even if not it'll be a farce with the wind, which I think is almost as bad here as Friday morning (at least after I'd got up).

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Snaw showers on and off. Some fairly heavy, but only lying higher up the hills for now at least.

2.5 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

All showers are now of snow and have been since 10:30. Nothing really lying though, hopefully we get a dusting later on :)