Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Not a cool ECM chart at +120, yes maybe the hottest air will be pushed East by the weekend, but it was only really yesterday that gave us a tease of longevity, the models were quite consistent that it would not be mega hot, for a sustained period. At least that's how I remember it.

post-16760-0-42781900-1435386658_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

My worry is we still have 3-4 days to get through. It's the classic annoyance of the low pressure to our west and the models potentially(!!) underestimating its influence in how far East it pushes and therefore shrinks the time we see the heat more and more. During some previous occurrences we ended up with nothing more than a glancing puff of hot air across the SE.

Forgive me for being a bit reactive to one run but yesterday's 18z gfs run was also quite progressive. I'm not saying this heatwave won't happen but I'm getting nervous of how widespread it will be and its longevity. Awaiting to see how the rest of today's model outputs look. It will be warming up and the potential for high temps is still there and we have seen sudden upgrades in the past as well :)

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM 9/10

Recm1202.gif

UKMO

Rukm1201.gif

9/10

GEM

Rgem1202.gif

8/10

and GFS

Rtavn1202.gif

7/10.

The reason The gfs is least good is simply because the atlantic influence is about there and already in control. For the hotter temperatures we want little wind and for the chance of severe thunderstorms we essentially want to be in a COL.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

So the models are pretty much repeating the uncertainties regarding how secondary systems interact with the main Atlantic trough. A lot of different solutions at day 6.

ECM

ECM1-144.GIF?27-12

The low is west of Ireland and the solution isn't far off yesterdays 12z.

GFS

gfs-0-144.png?0

A shallower system which results in a shallower build of the second wave of heights and heat.

UKMO

UW144-21.GIF?27-06

The system is much slower moving in this run, hence the second build of heat really isn't modelled yet.

GEM

gem-0-144.png?00

Quite similar to the UKMO solution, the low perhaps more developed than it though. The result is actually quite similar to the ECM during the middle to latter range though. 

Posted

GEFS ensembles:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_table.php?x=306&y=141&run=0&ext=fr&mode=0&sort=0

maintain very hot conditions through the middle of next week but have got off the fence with regards to the weekend, and have decided Friday/Saturday hot (but not very), and Sunday sees a return to relatively normal conditions - the number of runs maintaining heat are now quite small.

ECM, on the other hand, is not too dissimilar to last night's incredibly hot run.

Verdict: Hot spell for Wednesday to Friday is still on. Saturday and beyond - not worth making a call yet.

Although Anyweather got slated last night, I agree that with extreme weather you need to wait a bit longer to be certain of the outcome, so worth holding on another day before making a call on whether it will be maxing at 37C or 31C next week.

• Like 3

Posted

Gfs notable for its progressive nature and ECM for its over amplification. perhaps take Ukmo as the middle ground between them for the time being. Looking beyond the break in the very high temps and one would hope to see the generally fine conditions continue as heights remain generally high

Posted

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not viewing and potential upgrade/downgrade on just how hot it will get. All I'm interested in is the thunderstorm potential!

Basically a chart like the gfs pretty much destroys the chances of the classic hot calm day where cumulus clouds rocket up, with slow moving home grown thunderstorms later. 

All the gfs offers to me is it  getting very warm/hot before quickly being replaced by less warm conditions as an active front pushes west to east. Yes this would be thundery with a few inbedded thunderstorms, but inmo this is nothing special..  :nea:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Looks like many people are agreeing that the GFS has downgraded this morning especially for my location, we were in the high 20°C's now struggling to get to even the mid 20°C's with only a few days of heat. Hopefully, there's an upgrade in the next run.

Also, it looks like to add to this the NetWx-MR has also downgraded the ML CAPE + LI chart and was showing a good 3 days of unstable air and thunderstorm risk and now just Tuesday Night! I hope this isn't a trend if both models have downgraded...

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

As much as people seek heat, they can't be so blind as to not see the elephant in the room RE where we head after this plume event (taking into account potential reloads)??

the elephant in the room?, like the huge build up of heat over france/spain that you and others dismissed a few days ago in favour of the atlantic dominating?. :)

this heatwave was never expected to be a lengthy affair, its always thought to be less then a week, and earlier it was a one day affair.

downgrade?... we still have 5 days of hot uppers and temps over 25c for the bulk of the country... i see no downgrade. its only the timing and nature of the breakdown thats unclear. i note the rolling out ecm currently has the breakdown on sunday, 2 days after the gfs.

the ops too and fro, reading too much into each run perhaps isnt the best way to go. so lets look at the anomaly chart from noaa.

post-2797-0-38400500-1435388525_thumb.gi

looks pretty good to me! day 6 - 10 mean upper flow looks very condusive to prolonging the heatwave which suggests the gfs ops are out of line and unlikely to be the final solution. this suggests the ecm @ 240 is more likely then the gfs @ 240 , theres no deep scandi low for eg.

ecm                                                        gfs

post-2797-0-30622300-1435389251_thumb.gi post-2797-0-88348900-1435389283_thumb.gi

further ahead

post-2797-0-87531400-1435388688_thumb.gi

i see no strong greenland block there, i see the upper flow from the southwest over the uk, and has been mentioned that does continue to allow warmer/hotter southerly incursions.

but the anomalies dont suggest a protracted settled spell over the uk, no high pressure sat on top of us... and CC might well be right regarding the wet spell as obviously a warm southwesterly would deliver warm but unsettled weather. 

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 00z has been described as a massive downgrade and a wobble but looking at these charts and comparing them with the cool, unsettled Atlantic dross we have had in the last few months, the gfs 00z still looks very good with by far the best spell of the summer so far. The reason we don't get 33/35c on this run is due to more widespread thundery showers across the UK, with less storms and more prolonged Sun, the south and east will get into the 90's F.

post-4783-0-02467800-1435388764_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-49435700-1435389074_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-16847500-1435389087_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-76579800-1435389099_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-09791300-1435389110_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-27075500-1435389120_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-03967200-1435389135_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-24689900-1435389146_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-03925000-1435389168_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-10919200-1435389184_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-50311900-1435389200_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-37219000-1435389208_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

The Gfs 00z has been described as a massive downgrade and a wobble but looking at these charts and comparing them with the cool, unsettled Atlantic dross we have had in the last few months, the gfs 00z still looks very good with by far the best spell of the summer so far. The reason we don't get 33/35c on this run is due to more widespread thundery showers across the UK, with less storms and more prolonged Sun, the south and east will get into the 90's F.

I have to agree, I've just looked at the latest to previous GFS run and the only real downgrade I can now see is from Thursday onwards. Basically, the GFS on this run is still going for quite a good heatwave but slightly shorter than last run as atlantic front takes hold on Friday and brings in much cooler and fresher air from the west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The Models continues to show some very warm/hot weather for the Uk next week, With temps possibly hitting 34c in the S/E by Wednesday. Another run another evolution.. By Sun evening we should have a better idea re local surface Temps. Into week 2 the GFS does show more of an Atlantic influence, As week fronts push up from the W/SW with temps continuing much warmer than of late. But that's a long way off yet, And there's much to be resolved.

h850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.pngukmaxtemp.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM is stunning this morning with lots of heat around and maybe even another plume setting up at the end

Recm722.gifRecm1202.gifRecm1682.gifRecm2162.gifRecm2402.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Re Mushymanrob above:

NOAA anomoly charts showing virtually no change from a week ago. Although I said above how Saturday onwards is too uncertain, the charts Mushy posts suggests to me a fair chance of another notable plume before too long

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Sorry to be a know all.

However yet again the MO had there own models to use as experience.

Just like the winter, I think they have called it right and not based on all the excitement and depression on here.

It will be hot for a few days and it will get colder and reading between the lines there should be another reload.

However for some reason the highs just cant build in the right place for long enough, looks like a carry on from winter.

The models do show some far to hot weather for most with hopefully some cracking thunderstorms.

Posted

An amazing post, Gibby! Very interesting indeed! Looks like most models going for a 2 week heatwave still with just the GFS suggesting a breakdown next weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM suite pretty satisfied to back the ECM op evolution up to day 7 with hot weather stretching from Wednesday to Saturday with Sunday being the breakdown day.

EDM1-96.GIF?27-12

EDM1-144.GIF?27-12

EDM1-192.GIF?27-12

4 hot or even very hot days in the south with temperatures well above average elsewhere. Certainly decent for the UK.

GEM suite similar so it is just the GFS which is showing something more progressive, it might be right, it might not.

Overall a decent output with a heatwave very much still a decent possibility. Worth noting on the ECM, the 850s for midday Saturday wouldn't be too far off the ones for midweek, 20C likely in the south east given the Sunday morning chart, only a degree or so down from Wednesday/Thursday. 

• Like 2

Posted

Earlier this evening, WeatherPro was going for Wed 32C, Thu 32C, Fri 30C, Sat 27C in London..... it now says Wed 32C, Thu 33C, Fri 32C, Sat 31C.

WeatherPro now saying Wed 32C, Thu 33C, Fri 33C, Sat 31C. I know that's just London, but the point is the temps keep getting upgraded.

Maybe I shouldn't post this here but it's a model output of sorts and WeatherPro is normally far more accurate than the likes of the MetO/BBC, etc!

Edited by h2005uk

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It's very much like winter with the models wobbling.. 3 different scenarios..

GEM - No breakdown at all..

Rgem2402.gif

Euro - As per the pattern until last night, it's not until the second front on Sunday that the breakdown occurs (though it's hardly cold afterward)..

Recm2162.gif

GFS - Both the 18z and 0z have Friday's thundery trough doing the job..

Rtavn1444.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Quick question - is there an official designation of "hot" or "very hot"? As I guide I tend to use:

Very Cold - Minus

Cold - 0-4C.

Chilly - 5-9C

Cool - 10-14C

Mild - 15-19C

Warm - 20-24C

Very Warm - 25-29C

Hot - 30-34C

Very Hot - 35C-39C

Extremely Hot - 40C+

Edited by Dan the Man
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The Greenland High is going to cause lots of headaches with regard to the short terms solution even, I suspect.. this is evident as close as 90 hours. The low pressure to the west does seem to be getting a better hold each GFS run, we see a continuation of this on the 6z, however this does not mean that we won't get a warm, sunny period of weather, just that it may not be quite as hot as originally modelled, and perhaps a little bit more unsettled, perhaps. Still warm though even in that potential scenario.

• Like 1