Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

GFS 06z looking very similar to it's 00z out to +120

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

I think this GFS run will have more of a second wave to it (I.e. Saturday/Sunday)

Just because the GFS has the most output doesn't mean its the most accurate. The ECM remains very hot for 5 days, both op and end - and statistically it usually out performs the GFS.

Posted

GFS 06z looking very similar to it's 00z out to +120

the jet a bit more amplified over the atlantic means a sharper trough to our west and a slightly less progressive outcome. the start of the usual gfs backtrack or settling on the actual more progressive solution ??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

For a downgrade, the GFS 0Z still looks good to me in the reliable timeframe:

gfsnh-2015062700-0-120.png?0

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

In the near-mid term it's comparable in the near term (maybe slightly quicker to break things down initially in the west), but a reload of warm air by the 3rd is a better evolution that the previous two runs, so it looks like were into the scenario of model comprimise we always seem to get (where in the middle it'll settle), which for us means a decent spell of warm-very warm weather which perhaps some convective interest, particularly in the west.

Posted

and just like that the gfs backtrack begins!!further west again on this run and very similar to ecm/ukmo at around the 144 hour mark!!scandi high is 10mb stronger aswell!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Some posts have been moved here https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/82655-model-banter-moans-and-ramps-springsummer-2015/page-47#entry3220113 Please continue discussing the models.

Thanks, PM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Low thirties possible on the GFS on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (33/34C on Saturday) again now which is an improvement, the second push of heights is much more successful though I suspect the Atlantic will plough through during the weekend again.

To be honest the Atlantic profile looks a mess in the sense of trying the work out how things will pan out, how will the trough interact with the Euro/Scandi ridge? What will be the outcome upstream as we have a ridge in the western Atlantic up to Greenland acting like a gate for any low pressure moving off the Eastern seaboard, how much will get through and on what trajectory and hence how it interacts with the stationary trough west of the UK.

Yay for uncertainty, though I would suspect that 90F is still highly likely for Wednesday, beyond that it could stay hot, cool down briefly or cool down full stop. 

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

and just like that the gfs backtrack begins!!further west again on this run and very similar to ecm/ukmo at around the 144 hour mark!!scandi high is 10mb stronger aswell!!

Yes, Another run.. GFS 6z certainly holds on the the heat longer into next weekend. Wednesday still looks very warm indeed, With surface temps continuing to show hovering around 30c widely, Especially for the South.

6z

ukmaxtemp.pngh850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.png

post-12319-0-84423900-1435401302_thumb.p

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

It seems like the GFS 6z is another upgrade as most probably expected. Definitely next weekend is looking much hotter especially further east but even further west aswell. It seems like 6z runs do seem to upgrade from the 0z runs.

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The Greenland High is going to cause lots of headaches with regard to the short terms solution even, I suspect.. this is evident as close as 90 hours. The low pressure to the west does seem to be getting a better hold each GFS run, we see a continuation of this on the 6z, however this does not mean that we won't get a warm, sunny period of weather, just that it may not be quite as hot as originally modelled, and perhaps a little bit more unsettled, perhaps. Still warm though even in that potential scenario.

Normally, I'd agree with you, Ste. But if (a very big 'if') the GFS's evolution is correct, most of the WAA is being pushed eastward into northern Europe, suggesting that the Eurohigh might be the more dominant feature; the Greeny, meanwhile, keeping LP pinned into the central Atlantic??

It all has me thinking that the pattern will stay relatively entrenched until the main source of hot air is cut off?? :D

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Normally, I'd agree with you, Ste. But if (a very big 'if') the GFS's evolution is correct, most of the WAA is being pushed eastward into northern Europe, suggest that the Eurohigh might be the more dominant feature; the Greeny, meanwhile, keeping LP pinned into the central Atlantic??

It all has me thinking that the pattern will stay relatively entrenched until the main source of hot air is cut off?? :D

Very possible still, any scenario is possible right now, and due to the meridional setup, very small change from east to west can result in massively different scenarios.. I wouldn't be surprised to be fair if the Euro High held on and ridged west again after an initial breaking down of sorts.. certainly the 6z is hinting it's moving in that direction?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Very possible still, any scenario is possible right now, and due to the meridional setup, very small change from east to west can result in massively different scenarios.. I wouldn't be surprised to be fair if the Euro High held on and ridged west again after an initial breaking down of sorts.. certainly the 6z is hinting it's moving in that direction?

Looking at the 06z the euro high is close by certainly a possibility as you say

gfs-0-216.png?6gfs-0-240.png?6

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Thursday 2nd July/Friday 3rd July - High between 23-37°C.  Saturday, Sunday and Monday could hit 39°c  (I doubt it but the models have it somewhere in between at the moment, the sun is a lot stronger than 10th August that's for sure)

I wonder if the record could be broken?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Re Mushymanrob above:

NOAA anomoly charts showing virtually no change from a week ago. Although I said above how Saturday onwards is too uncertain, the charts Mushy posts suggests to me a fair chance of another notable plume before too long

yes, it supports the ecm's current 're-load' suggestion, which is good news. either way beyond the initial heatwave its not looking bad, and the gfs 06z has backed off from its more progressive 'downgrade' falling into line more with the ecm and anomaly expectations.

looking good, looking very good :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z looks fantastic next week with increasingly hot and sultry continental conditions spreading to all parts of the UK with lots of strong sunshine and a growing risk of scattered intense thunderstorms breaking out and pushing N/E. Just when it looks like the heat is subsiding, the 6z produces an encore with temperatures soaring even higher in the S/E to 33/34c 92F.

Next week looks great, Wimbledon starts, we have a spanish plume, BBQ's and ice cold drinks..pretty good I think. :)

post-4783-0-66492400-1435402543_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-63610300-1435402556_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-53593100-1435402581_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-91151100-1435402626_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-67403000-1435402635_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-24088200-1435402645_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-13718300-1435402654_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-78831800-1435402699_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-42174700-1435402712_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-70167900-1435402727_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-04526300-1435402737_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-34868600-1435402749_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-67497300-1435402758_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-45478800-1435402767_thumb.pn

• Like 6

Posted

Thursday 2nd July/Friday 3rd July - High between 23-37°C.  Saturday, Sunday and Monday could hit 39°c  (I doubt it but the models have it somewhere in between at the moment, the sun is a lot stronger than 10th August that's for sure)

I wonder if the record could be broken?

True the sun is stronger but many things came together on August 10th that don't necessarily apply in this situation. For example it's thought the presence of very dry subsided air not far aloft which reached the surface following entrainment owing to boundary layer turbulence may have provided some additional subsidence warming.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

6z goes back to the two front approach of recent says (the scenario the Euro has)..

First front (thunder fans will like this) comes through on Thursday..

Rtavn1144.gif

Then the second front bringing the breakdown moves through Saturday (Euro has it late Sunday)..

Rtavn1804.gif

For the south weds-sat will be the best spell since at least 2013 if not 2006. For the north, the amount of rain these thundery fronts produce will probably be far more a concern. 

• Like 3

Posted

I can't see any sign of a second plume on the anomalies into the ext period. The ecm is going for the Azores HP to the SW and a flat W/SW zonality. Quite pleasant all the same.

Blast I've just remembered it's Maisie Day in Penance today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

True the sun is stronger but many things came together on August 10th that don't necessarily apply in this situation. For example it's thought the presence of very dry subsided air not far aloft which reached the surface following entrainment owing to boundary layer turbulence may have provided some additional subsidence warming.

That one sentence was amazing. Quite technical, I seem to remember the wind completely changing direction during the day. It was very hot that's for sure, and I had a play-school trip to Kew Gardens that day ahha!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

One thing that im looking forward to most is the possibility of some great thunderstorms, its years since ive seen a 'proper' one.

Ive just been having a look on the GFS charts but ive not had much experience with CAPE etc. On Meteociel there is 'CAPE et LI' and 'MUCAPE MULI' and both look similar when running them through but should I be looking at one thing specificaly??

If im reading it right then Wednesday evening looks very fun going by this !?

108-505UK.GIF?27-6

• Like 2

Posted

Yes WC, Next Wednesday/Thurday is looking very good for Convective activity. A very interesting week coming up for sure with lot's to keep tabs on as the models firm up on detail.

More info here from Nick F https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83332-storm-convective-discussion-12th-june-2015-onwards/page-69#entry3220235 

ukstormrisk.pngukstormrisk.pngukcapeli.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3