Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms Autumn 2015

Allseasons-Si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The GFS was over estimating wind gusts in places, had some gusts around 50mph on west coast here early morning and parts of the east coast exposed to the northerly saw 60-70mph. 

• Like 1

Posted

looks like it'll be a windy week but nothing unusual

Yup, but it does look like it could turn very unsettled as we move towards December and I wouldn't rule out some named storms... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yup, but it does look like it could turn very unsettled as we move towards December and I wouldn't rule out some named storms... 

I guess Wednesday's storm wasn't strong enough to deserve a name lol? Technically the next one should be a 'd'.

Posted

I guess Wednesday's storm wasn't strong enough to deserve a name lol? Technically the next one should be a 'd'.

Nah, didn't quite deserve a name so the next one will be called Clodagh, think it's a female Irish name... :)

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted

Nah, didn't quite deserve a name so the next one will be called Clodagh, think it's a female Irish name... :)

Haha is that serious? Not even sure how that should be pronounced. Surprising really as the wind gusts equalled that of Barney.

Posted

Yeah, although no good looking at specific detail at this range as it will chop and change but plenty of potential for some significant wind events. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Haha is that serious? Not even sure how that should be pronounced. Surprising really as the wind gusts equalled that of Barney.

It's pronounced CLO-DA, like Yoda but with a 'Cl' in place of the 'Y'. ;)

Posted

It's pronounced CLO-DA, like Yoda but with a 'Cl' in place of the 'Y'. ;)

Thanks for that! :)

• Like 1

Posted

What a beast!!! Winds probably comparable to a high end Cat 1 hurricane strength... Probably just one of the GFS storms it likes to cook up on occasions, but with such a strong thermal gradient over the Atlantic and powerful jet then some significant windstorms can't be ruled out... Perhaps something a little less extreme though. 

post-9615-0-24162400-1448280672_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-86717400-1448280677_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-86998500-1448280684_thumb.pn

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 1

What a beast!!! Winds probably comparable to a high end Cat 1 hurricane strength... Probably just one of the GFS storms it likes to cook up on occasions, but with such a strong thermal gradient over the Atlantic and powerful jet then some significant windstorms can't be ruled out... Perhaps something a little less extreme though. 

attachicon.gifgfs177.pngattachicon.gifgfs178.pngattachicon.gifgfs179.png

Yeah some insane wind speeds there. GFS shows 92 mph mean winds with gusts of 142 mph.

• Like 2

Posted

Aye.  I'm all for the extreme, except when I'm not (in the case of the above).  Indeed, as you say, with a steep T300/500 gradient resulting in powerful jet streak, quick development of such lows is likely.  Fortunately the jet turns poleward west of the UK, diverting lows the NW.

Then again, would be quite the experience...

Edited by weather09
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

'Tis indeed. A very southern Irish name...

• Like 1

Posted

GFS still keen on a very intense Atlantic depression next weekend with some very strong winds closer to the UK on the 18z.

post-9615-0-86763500-1448320461_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-74245800-1448320468_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-08761100-1448320473_thumb.pn

Posted

One of the GFS ensembles show the low down to 905mb,

attachicon.gifgens-6-1-138.png

Crikey!! That's just insane... I dread to think if anything like that ploughed into the UK!  :help:

Posted

what kind of winds would that have?

Catastrophic really on southern flank easily mean speeds over 100mph I wold imagine the mayor would allow folk to seek refuge in London Underground way worse than 1987 doesn't bear thinking about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

I really hope something like that doesn't come anywhere near us I love a good storm but that would be a major disaster. I wonder what sort of storm surge a low like that would create.

Edited by gary1365

Posted

I really hope something like that doesn't come anywhere near us I love a good storm but that would be a major disaster. I wonder what sort of storm surge a low like that would create.

Not sure about storm surge but the wave height prediction charts are showing 16-18m on the third chart. 

post-9615-0-01704200-1448349152_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-96638600-1448349156_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-32842000-1448349163_thumb.pn 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted

what kind of winds would that have?

Wind speeds would likely reach hurricane force 12 with gusts into the 100's and would be more life threatening & destructive than the Burns Day storm 1990 which caused many fatalities and cost around £3bn for UK insurers.  

Edited by *Sub*Zero*