Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted
Just now, TSNWK said:

I think what would be good to hear is some updates from a couple of the big hitters who were around start of this week when things at the time were looking more positive for coldies

( invisible wall for anyone?) – be great hearing if they still think we are in the game and if not what has changed as the week progressed to introduce what the models are currently suggesting.

The invisible wall became very visible lol. The ecm op towards the end goes against last night's anomalies from the Ec46 from 21st Dec. Unless there is a dramatic turn around after day 10. Pressure is shown to build over south west Europe on this morning's ECM. This is not what is advertised on the EC46. Lets hope this isn't another EC46 flop after promising so much. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

I think what would be good to hear is some updates from a couple of the big hitters who were around start of this week when things at the time were looking more positive for coldies

( invisible wall for anyone?) – be great hearing if they still think we are in the game and if not what has changed as the week progressed to introduce what the models are currently suggesting.

that will be me then, although i was one of the big hitters who suggested we will not see cold this side of xmas.

Still nothing has made me change my mind, in fact, i think there is a higher chance of heights into sceuro potentially bringing us a southerly feed.

Posted

Subtle changes in the extended EPS mean.  The low heights anomaly close to the UK is stronger but it does push the higher heights over Europe further east/south east.  There is now a tendency for heights to the south showing up (as seen in the outer reaches of the last few det runs) but this is a relatively weak signal. The heights around Greenland are not as intense as runs earlier this week. All in all, still decent but trending the wrong way.  Let’s see what this evening brings.

Edited by mulzy
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

It's got to the point right now where I honestly don't care if it's cold or mild, but for the love of god just no more rain.

Everywhere is already like a soggy bog, just got another drenching taking the dog for a walk.

I'd just take a dry Christmas at this point, even if it's not cold.

With everything looking so promising, arctic high, AO tanking etc. We just seem to be in the same old rut. Nothing is falling in place for us in the UK, it's all becoming a bit downbeat chasing any cold. Especially when we have so many things currently in our favour.

It's only a matter of time before the PV organises itself and we see the AO trend positive. It all just feels like we're currently wasting our big chance at something cold with the current synoptics. 

Here's hoping for a Christmas miracle, have a good day everyone!

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 2

Posted

This would deliver in the north and on high ground...shift it 300 miles south and make it a bit shallower / elongated & we would be in business ..

C5318C0F-A02F-423F-B9AD-1DB1E2C886DF.png

17EDF133-88FE-42D1-BFE1-2FF556518E3B.png

546C80FB-2B50-4808-B301-99EDAF9F34B7.png

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Indications that the Atlantic train off the e seaboard of the states will blow itself out post day 10 as heights rise generally in eastern USA .........that would allow for something to develop our side of the Atlantic depending on what we can do with the euro heights and the arctic high ........

We need that God damn Atlantic to relent ...

Hope we don't lose the -AO in the meantime!!

Posted
26 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Subtle changes in the extended EPS mean.  The low heights anomaly close to the UK is stronger but it does push the higher heights over Europe further east/south east.  There is now a tendency for heights to the south showing up (as seen in the outer reaches of the last few det runs) but this is a relatively weak signal. The heights around Greenland are not as intense as runs earlier this week. All in all, still decent but trending the wrong way.  Let’s see what this evening brings.

I don't think in fairness that would suprise many members.

Its a well trodden path....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

We need that God damn Atlantic to relent ...

Hope we don't lose the -AO in the meantime!!

image.thumb.png.990e56a74faa66f83201ea56fdda1f76.png

Still some +ve heights to our north in the latter stages of the ECM run, but very vague details. Neither of those look especially cold either, and that pesky trough is still in our neck of the woods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

Aye Daniel, GFS is mixing some colder air in the charts from 120t-240t with some tasty little lows in the flow. The one below forecast to give snow to parts of Ireland. So hopefully on the cusp of some colder runs today.  There appears to be a sqeeze into Europe again from this latest GFS run.

C

GFSOPUK00_264_2.png

Morning  all, quite a difference in this mornings ops with GFS taking a more zonal flow into Europe ( as shown in the above post ) but ECM/UKMO holding the milder option with ridging in evidence over the continent.

C

Posted

lets hope we can get the MJO into phase 6 and then maybe get the Northern blocking in the right place for cold to the UK.

We need something to stop the procession of Atlantic lows that seem to have been modelled over the next 10 days.

All is not lost yet for 23-31 Dec but time is running out it seems  

spacer.png

Edited by Jeremy Shockey
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Low pressure hanging around just before Christmas.

anim_rpj6.gif

Edited by XanderP007

Posted
1 hour ago, blizzard81 said:

This is not what is advertised on the EC46. Lets hope this isn't another EC46 flop after promising so much. 

I don’t know why people give it so much credence (especially when forecasting cold). 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.812d48804ef8577d0fdcefe6d3a1e994.png

Here's the updated MJO forecast....some members going into 7/8/1 with a bit of amplitude, but the mean is stuck in the COD. Might miss this boat too here!

Posted
3 hours ago, carinthian said:

Aye Daniel, GFS is mixing some colder air in the charts from 120t-240t with some tasty little lows in the flow. The one below forecast to give snow to parts of Ireland. So hopefully on the cusp of some colder runs today.  There appears to be a sqeeze into Europe again from this latest GFS run.

C

GFSOPUK00_264_2.png

Needs to be because from my viewpoint it's south westerlies carrying Atlantic low after low through our island. Huge flooding risk for some areas, feeling miserable in the wind in the ☔. Nothing seasonal until at least 21st December...... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
3 minutes ago, Snowfish2 said:

Needs to be because from my viewpoint it's south westerlies carrying Atlantic low after low through our island. Huge flooding risk for some areas, feeling miserable in the wind in the ☔. Nothing seasonal until at least 21st December...... 

Yes, ECM and UKMO run this morning heading that way big style.

C

Posted
14 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Thursday 11 December, The picture from the 500  anomaly charts  no pc for 48 hours

Ec-gfs; well some changes but nothing to materially alter the weather pattern for the uk!

Noaa It also shows no marked change in the Tuesday pattern predicted at 6-10 nor 8-14 really.

So the UK remains locked in the current weather pattern with no sign of any marked cold spell developing in the next 2 weeks. It ‘might’ change but it seems doubtful based on these charts. What is happening beyond this time scale is for others to show.

Thank you John - Over the years it is these updates that have provided a stable amongst the fluid nature of the Ops run - just so god darn annoying that they tend to prove relatively accurate - the time to sit up in my view is when ( IF! ) John rocks up with an update suggesting that 500 anomaly charts are supportive of something of interest for us Coldies! - I say this to myself all the time, and kick myself every time I'm drawn in by the Ops and postive posting

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

The invisible wall became very visible lol. The ecm op towards the end goes against last night's anomalies from the Ec46 from 21st Dec. Unless there is a dramatic turn around after day 10. Pressure is shown to build over south west Europe on this morning's ECM. This is not what is advertised on the EC46. Lets hope this isn't another EC46 flop after promising so much. 

Let's clear this up.. Last night I mentioned Heights close to Xmas over the Greenland locale building, I think there was a tweet by Matt Hugo regarding this.. I had only viewed it up till the 26th of December! These Heights are not substantial, and are eroding pretty quickly.. 

As we move towards the backend of the month and early January Low Pressure is quite a dominant feature around Iceland, and we still have that problem of increasing Heights around Iberia... And thats pretty much what it's been hinting at for a few runs now. And tbh it doesn't seem to far away from what Exeter are going with. Anyone who sees this different, then i must have my blinkers on.. But it's not the best of runs. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, georgiedre said:

Is it me or is this 6z showing a bit more amplification towards Spain??

I’d rather it was towards Greenland. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Oh dear... the GFS 06z at t+144 is much too complex for mere mortals like me to understand, so I'll leave the in-depth (it's going to snow -- oh no it isn't -- oh yes it is) interpretations to our resident, self-styled 'big hitters'!:santa-emoji:

h850t850eu.png    h500slp.png

Edited by General Cluster