Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical and Winter
8 minutes ago, Valleyboy said:

I would forget pinning hopes on any snow this Christmas.  The Atlantic looks to take hold for the foreseeable.

I hear you, but there are still 14 days until Christmas and two weeks out is certainly not a reliable time period for any model. Granted it does not look great for snow/cold lovers for the next week but there is still time for a turn around for the week after. 

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Valleyboy said:

I would forget pinning hopes on any snow this Christmas.  The Atlantic looks to take hold for the foreseeable.

Looking at the 00z GFs and the 06z ensembles there is Still a chance of ridge making lows track far enough south for some snow on their norther edge. Almost zero chance of the ‘beast / blast from the east’ some are forecasting though.

A4777D68-0634-4F5E-AD48-136EBA8B74A5.jpeg

6DB91AF0-D3EB-4B1B-9490-CF2FF058F136.png

Posted

Let's be honest, the pattern is stuck (as it has been for months and months) with slow movement of the Rosby waves West to East, and at present we are in the trough. Depending on how quickly the patterns move will determine if we get a cold spell or a love spring as we had last year.

Edited by warrenb
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the latest GloSEA update and it backs up that this is likely to be a front loaded winter and those expecting a cold Jan-Feb look away:

climate-averages-hero.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Ensemble-mean fields up to six months ahead. Updated monthly,

So the models are not on our side, milder and wet with a classic UK winter setup is what the algorithms are saying. Some may pin their hope on a SSW but that was too little and too late last winter so maybe wary of that rescuing us? Hopefully mixed in with the general theme we can get a few cold spells and that we get a bit more luck than the recent one!

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Looks like we could  be in for a repeat of last winter, which down here didn't include a single flake of snow. Looking a the charts, we are just as I said earlier in the wrong part of the globe for the pattern that is setting up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
2 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Unfortunately, I think the UK winter (as we used to know it) is dead in the water!

Perpetual Spring in terms of temperatures virtually every year!

With a massive risk of flooding in many prone area's

As a severe cold and snow lover, it's really quite depressing!

Help me out here,  I am not seeing spring like temperatures coming up?    Not in models or forecasts, where are these showing?   All I can see is this same pattern more or less repeating in the near term. Not really interested past +144 at the moment. 

• Like 2

Posted

spacer.png GFS 06 pert 12  ( just for fun )

You never know ...........there are some cold options too for 23rd / 24th and it is still nearly 2 weeks away.

It wouldn't take much for us to get some very cold air from the North West direction just before Christmas ...........keep some faith ( if you can )

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

If your post has gone missing it's probably been moved over to the Moans, Ramps & Chat thread. Please stay on topic in here: Model Output Discussion. Thanks.

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Barometer Cat said:

Help me out here,  I am not seeing spring like temperatures coming up?    Not in models or forecasts, where are these showing?   All I can see is this same pattern more or less repeating in the near term. Not really interested past +144 at the moment. 

It’s on the Met Office link as a huge area of positive temperature anomalies for the entire winter period shown in red especially Northern Europe and Siberia 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
1 hour ago, STRiZZY said:

I hear you, but there are still 14 days until Christmas and two weeks out is certainly not a reliable time period for any model. Granted it does not look great for snow/cold lovers for the next week but there is still time for a turn around for the week after. 

I would say two weeks is quite reliable when Atlantic is forecasting for our little island as this is our default button sadly unless the Gulf stream changes suddenly after all the promise charts over the last week or so this does not look too inviting what we are watching now personally I think it is January we will see signs of cold on the NWP. as Cold-Eeze in the UK I think we just going to have to take it on the chin this time round just like last few winters. 

Posted
1 hour ago, IDO said:

Looking at the latest GloSEA update and it backs up that this is likely to be a front loaded winter and those expecting a cold Jan-Feb look away:

So the models are not on our side, milder and wet with a classic UK winter setup is what the algorithms are saying. Some may pin their hope on a SSW but that was too little and too late last winter so maybe wary of that rescuing us? Hopefully mixed in with the general theme we can get a few cold spells and that we get a bit more luck than the recent one!

Combined with the news of a non-active MJO, we can presume this winter won't deliver the 'goods'. So another winter with a positive NAO. Since 2013, every month had a positive NAO. Amazing and frustrating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tropical and Winter
1 minute ago, syed2878 said:

I would say two weeks is quite reliable when Atlantic is forecasting for our little island as this is our default button sadly unless the Gulf stream changes suddenly after all the promise charts over the last week or so this does not look too inviting what we are watching now personally I think it is January we will see signs of cold on the NWP. as Cold-Eeze in the UK I think we just going to have to take it on the chin this time round just like last few winters. 

Yeah I have to disagree. No model has a verification rate at 14days that could be seen as reliable. However I do concede that the likely hood of a cold Christmas is not looking great.  

Posted

Why are people posting the GLOSEA 3 monthly charts like they are absolute certainties? 

Negativity is understandable at the minute we are stuck in a frustrating rut despite unusual charts on a hemispheric level with a beleaguered vortex and strong arctic heights but long range models are notoriously useless, the weather can’t be predicted next week - let alone 2 months away. 

Remember how many winters we’ve had good background signals and ended up with zilch before you write off winter because of a 3 monthly GLOSEA

Its December the 11th!! Winter is yet young.❄️

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
1 hour ago, IDO said:

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

I must say that is disappointing news I was hoping this model would be on our side this winter sadly not how ever even in most dire winter surprises could come here and there if that was going to be a SSW later on in winter surely the UK net office model would have picked it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

How are we looking with some of the background signals today?

Zonal winds still showing a strong signal for weakening over and around the Christmas period, Arctic Oscillation looks looks even more negative, however the NAO is looking less negative and nearer neutral now going towards January.

Meanwhile the MJO is stalling nearer the COD and further away from phase 6.

Both positive and negative updates here, I'm not convinced of anything significant until we see clearer evidence for a decent cold spell lining up from the pros on here.

20201211_135837.jpg

20201211_135938.jpg

20201211_135918.jpg

20201211_135851.jpg

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Why are people posting the GLOSEA 3 monthly charts like they are absolute certainties? 

Negativity is understandable at the minute we are stuck in a frustrating rut despite unusual charts on a hemispheric level with a beleaguered vortex and strong arctic heights but long range models are notoriously useless, the weather can’t be predicted next week - let alone 2 months away. 

Remember how many winters we’ve had good background signals and ended up with zilch before you write off winter because of a 3 monthly GLOSEA

Its December the 11th!! Winter is yet young.❄️

They are posting it, because it is a forecasting tool using model output. It also one of the best in the world.

The 'cold' spell we have just had, does indeed look like our front loaded Winter has come and gone and barring the occasional toppler, it does indeed look like that is it.

Certainly, virtually zero chance of proper cold spell greater the 5 days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Call me crazy, actually call me insane...actually I am clinically insane...go figure ( all these mild winters )...., BUT I am seeing some wintry potential longer term between crimbo and new year in the GEFS 6z...anyone feel free to contradict me but there is currently potential for something of a wintry nature during the festive period....I’ve been seeing signs of the jet (PFJ) digging further south as time goes on..don’t laugh, I’m being sincere...now I’m going back to the insane asylum...catch you guys later..down the road..unless the 12z runs show narnia!!:reindeer-emoji::santa-emoji:  

PS..such a looooong page ( longest page in netweather history..hmmm? )... and such a hot topic ..well, not currently but when the 12z begins....... at least despite my insanity my sense of humour is still intact..or is it..?!..I admire all the enthusiasm on here..we have such crap winters don’t we...compared to Canada, Finland..Russia ?...anyway...have a great winter..I mean Friday:drunk-emoji:..

PS..where’s TEITS?...really miss some of the greats from the past..well, from the golden era of 2005!

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
7 hours ago, swfc said:

Morning. Yes I'd agree with your post. Nothing unusual with the outlook it's December after all. I think people may be wise to stick to reliable time frames"whatever model you consider best" and stave off any kind of let down they may feel is Warented. 

Yep, would say it feels, at the moment, like standard December fair. Perhaps with the exception of the Vortex being disorganised, although nothing too extraordinary. Sticking to the more reliable time frames is safer emotionally lol, even when we know some of the charts in FI are prone to wild swings. It can be fun looking at the longer range charts in the distance, or to see if there are any possible trends. And it’s always interesting to see some of the people on here giving in-depth analysis of what the weather patterns may do in the future. But the more reliable time frame is the best to avoid the risk of ginormous teddies being thrown out of the pram Helps to keep expectations down. 

Could end up finding that when becoming too drawn in by charts outside of the reliable time frame, that you miss out on some fun weather in the shorter term. Such as heavy snow coming down from the North on radar to conquer your area. 

In fact, that brings me to another point. When a cold and snowy spell is currently in process in the UK, some of us then may be worried or eager about constantly looking at the models to see when it may break down. Which is kinda a shame, as you could end up forgetting what’s happening right now. Not really enjoying the experience, or being in the moment, with what the weather is providing outside. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, snowspotter said:

It’s on the Met Office link as a huge area of positive temperature anomalies for the entire winter period shown in red especially Northern Europe and Siberia 

Just to point out, this is a three month long anomaly so there will most definitely be variations, some of which could be cold spells with snow.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

Just to point out, this is a three month long anomaly so there will most definitely be variations, some of which could be cold spells with snow.

Agreed.. give me a one week like Jan 87 or Feb 91 in the height of winter and I will happily scuttle off to the summer storm chase thread.. 

• Like 6