Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Back on track a good low quite far out though, who knows an even Lower Low(?) could happen. 

gens-27-1-384 (2).png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
2 hours ago, Catacol said:

The amplification will come - momentum cycle dictates it. But just how amplified it will be is the question and just how weakened might the vortex be after wave impacts begin to fade in a week’s time. For now the vortex is under attack, and we can watch and wait and cross fingers that it gets a decent battering.

This is attack no 1. Attack no 2 will come around New Year. And then the lag impacts of that attack might possibly set us up for an interesting end of January. Having said that in a Twitter poll Amy Butler has plumped for a SSW before the first third of January is out - and she is well worth listening to. That would throw the cat amongst the pigeons and chances for earlier cold.

Lots of negativity yesterday and disappointment as amplification from the +EAMT didn’t prove enough. But it’s still early...

2 hours ago, Catacol said:

The amplification will come - momentum cycle dictates it. But just how amplified it will be is the question and just how weakened might the vortex be after wave impacts begin to fade in a week’s time. For now the vortex is under attack, and we can watch and wait and cross fingers that it gets a decent battering.

This is attack no 1. Attack no 2 will come around New Year. And then the lag impacts of that attack might possibly set us up for an interesting end of January. Having said that in a Twitter poll Amy Butler has plumped for a SSW before the first third of January is out - and she is well worth listening to. That would throw the cat amongst the pigeons and chances for earlier cold.

Lots of negativity yesterday and disappointment as amplification from the +EAMT didn’t prove enough. But it’s still early...

interesting post and yet according to the Met long-range forecast January will be mild not only that but the Met office long range model glosea is not very inspiring on the December update. you talk about called but and SSW doesn’t guarantee that for the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
18 minutes ago, swfc said:

Yes lower lows do occur. I'm guessing there's a limit to how low a low can go tho

About as low as Wednesday earlier today

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

What a very peculiar evening it’s been.  

Let’s remember not to get too carried away though

I do appreciate as well it’s been a hectic year for a number, which I know hasn’t helped with the mood of things. And is good to have a laugh now and then as it can help with lifting the spirits. We have, nevertheless, opened up our big storage cupboard for those of you to store ya prams in, incase there’s a temptation to throw out the dollies

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
Adding extra sentence
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days
13 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM T120, I’m thinking Davros, with his head slightly tilted:

BEFB9914-E8F6-4AD9-8C28-C239AD041FB9.thumb.png.bfd9db52e7f9e6c4a38b5ebab0b7ba87.png0E85D525-E89B-4EB2-8C53-4974FB78EDFD.thumb.jpeg.8887391e289a61bf48ca699fcdf76a8f.jpeg

That photo is how old most of us in the south will be before we see settling snow again.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

ECM 168 still having a go at those heights upstream... Please give the trough over us a boot at 192

image.thumb.png.c12e367f3158c95a4f65f2b7099d2ab2.png

Vs the mighty GEM 

gemnh-0-168.thumb.png.181a97e4926b708ebf3aafd1ddd47ab1.png

Which happens to have an interesting evolution. 

Apologies if already posted previously. 1724342934_gemnh-0-240(3).thumb.png.a8d51172b316bf5a194357807883e90c.png

Edited by Griff
  • Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, XanderP007 said:

Back on track a good low quite far out though, who knows an even Lower Low(?) could happen. 

gens-27-1-384 (2).png

Here’s a hi high that could be cold enough for long blizzards if it gets lower ...

0245D05C-EB99-4C0D-ABAB-76CCDB5FB883.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Ec looks OK imo. Not has much of a push towards Greenland but still ridging into Atlantic. And with that I'm off, feel a bit low today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
9 minutes ago, swfc said:

Ec looks OK imo. Not has much of a push towards Greenland but still ridging into Atlantic. And with that I'm off, feel a bit low today

Yep, it could be worse for cold weather possibilities to be fair. Quite a cool looking chart for Monday 21st December, but a bit more of an Easterly push to the pattern could bring some colder down from the North for the UK.

14A03C69-9544-417E-BB2C-EDFC6CA14ADC.thumb.png.e9a63a3a0e5a23d5c6bed62b8c1d3a10.pngC40BB12B-EB24-4472-A944-9199CAE7A83C.thumb.png.f919bce1ea2234cb199557c5b5112d77.png

Hope you feel better soon. Not again been a great year at all to be honest

(Edit: Got beaten to it above)

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Why I think that this year the setup is a lot better for cold (and maybe snow) spells is the fact, that the main cold air block this year is on the opposite side of the NH. So for me this is a big pattern change, hopefully the cold doesn't shift over the pole towards Canada this year (to initiate a very strong west drift)

spacer.png versus last year (same date) spacer.png

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Lots of potential from here ...

74F368E9-8C58-4F1A-86D0-8F44E0C92B48.png

If we did end up in that position that developing low on east flank of ridge is going east and would likely bring some wintry weather on north flank to northern parts. I definitely see maybe this upcoming period could be of some interest to northern members with sleet/snow. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Mike Poole said:

No sleet on 21st that I can see, on any of the models, away from the Highlands of Scotland maybe. Anyway what’s so good about sleet?

Hadn't you thrown in the towel yesterday for the Winter?  because of the Glosea forecast?

Anyway a much improved ECM today could get very interesting if the trend continues tomorrow.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Vikos said:

Why I think that this year the setup is a lot better for cold (and maybe snow) spells is the fact, that the main cold air block this year is on the opposite side of the NH. So for me this is a big pattern change, hopefully the cold doesn't shift over the pole towards Canada this year (to initiate a very strong west drift)

spacer.png versus last year (same date) spacer.png

I think this is important to recognise take forecast for 19th from ECM 12z and 2019 for same date the cold is much more extensive across Eurasia. It’s always beneficial to see a colder continent.

1F46C4C6-ABB8-4999-A5AE-F6EF7FED12AB.thumb.png.af33cf59b9c15bdde92117e28a9dae73.pngF035B52F-419B-42A4-BF3B-F80EB392F2D3.thumb.png.93a035e6921f61986c1573afffa2258f.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
13 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Hadn't you thrown in the towel yesterday for the Winter?  because of the Glosea forecast?

Anyway a much improved ECM today could get very interesting if the trend continues tomorrow.

Hey Sleety, no not quite.  For sure the towel is rolled and delicately scented, and ready for throwing.  But is an uphill struggle for coldies from here, with GloSea5 against us, I was hoping that the Dec 11th update would give some kind of likelihood of a SSW, but it doesn’t.  I’m hoping the MJO early timescales, and the SSW later, will bail us out.  Chance: 45% maybe.  Enough to keep washing anyway. (Edit, i meant watching, but leave it as it amused me.)

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Tim Bland said:

I was just thinking the same thing?! It says any wintryness likely confined to higher ground then milder new year?

we seem to have gone from the PV shunted to the east to having it all to our North West..much harder to get cold from there 

F7677B94-FED1-43BB-8440-DDD709BD5CA9.png

34FA504E-5DFF-45D2-A6E4-8726FEA588A0.png

What am I missing? The MO update half decent, no?