Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder spell ending, what's to follow?

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, Catacol said:

Let's put this one to bed. A single C class flare does not constitute a major uptick in solar activity. The sunspot number remains low - though yes: we are on the way back up now as we head into cycle 25. The reports are of "very low" and "low" activity with only a single sunspot currently visible. There is no issue here. The best place to get a quick summary of the current position is here:

WWW.SPACEWEATHERLIVE.COM

Thank you . That first post of mine was maybe looking on the pessimistic side of things as I stated in subsequent posts. I was looking for some input from much more experienced forum members. You kindly obliged, along with others and I really appreciate it . Thank you for that link as well. Love this forum . 

• Like 6

Posted

UKMO officials indicating, as per Catacol's note, the interim likelihood of slow moving atlantic systems in the context of so much blocking everywhere. No comment on longer term prospects but see med-long term outlook by ECM below and the full tweet here. As catacol says, need these ratios to start showing more later-stage green in coming week or so...

https://twitter.com/Petagna/status/1336293553056739328?s=19

SmartSelect_20201208-133054_Twitter.jpg

Edited by ITSY
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Bricriu said:

Speaking of Solar Flares, was it a Solar Flare that Stuart Rampling(GP) pointed to as scuppering an easterly he had envisaged back in 2013? It was all looking so good, then a few days out it all went pear shaped.

I doubt the solar wind caused a short wave low in the wrong place for us, it was just slack flow, and rather a common thing to happen, it fills the space. We ended up with a nice cold snowy northerly instead. May be less cold uppers perhaps, I never worked out what all the fuss was about. It was just a scuppered forecast, happens all the time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I posted this in the Strat thread as it's got close links to that, but thought I'd post in here too, particularly as we're between runs right now. It's well worth a read:

snow-uk.jpeg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Samuel Hayes explores how Arctic Amplification impacts the UK's winter weather, and how it links into the stratosphere, sea ice, snow cover and more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Posted
9 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

spacer.pngGFs 06 ensemble mean anomaly at t 240

Pretty strong signal for high pressure in the right place for cold at day 10 on the GFS 6z ens mean 

That e euro high anomoly is a possible fly in the ointment ..... where will the gaps be in those anoms ???

Posted
8 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

Pretty strong signal for high pressure in the right place for cold at day 10 on the GFS 6z ens mean 

I always query these charts as to whether the anomalies are anomalous enough. 

Unless the anomalies are off the scale I don't get too excited, this might just show low pressure of 1000mb as opposed to 980mb.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
2 hours ago, Ali1977 said:

-12/14c uppers covering most the country in 2018, -16/18c In 1987. Both Epic cold really but 87 in a diff league with daytime max nearer -6c . I’d love to see that again in my lifetime, I think

8D621DA9-4050-4BEE-B86D-626169508666.png

27CED29F-A216-4E03-9ADB-F6552EA2F849.png

79 was in my school days. 

87 I was stationed in Germany

Screenshot_20201208_142857.thumb.jpg.b64f63755290b6a4d1740cc379f789eb.jpgScreenshot_20201208_142715.thumb.jpg.f8816435c4be468c96120dc73a9b8110.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

Umm. I'm seeing troughing to our south pumping up warm air and how will any cold air get to us if there is a signal for heights in eastern Europe.

I don't like that chart.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Personally the biggest christmas present i'm expecting is a - 2oc Sunny Day we all know we'd be happy if that happened most modles going for an average Christmas. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, XanderP007 said:

Personally the biggest christmas present i'm expecting is a - 2oc Sunny Day we all know we'd be happy if that happened most modles going for an average Christmas. 

I think if that happened  most of us would be able to keep a leg of lamb down our underpants and keep it fresh for a month   much better at -2c

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, XanderP007 said:

Anything that far is in FI.. Can't say its looking average at the moment if models are to believed anyways.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

That e euro high anomoly is a possible fly in the ointment ..... where will the gaps be in those anoms ???

Lost my geography lol, looks like North Africa and Asia.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
3 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

79 was in my school days. 

87 I was stationed in Germany

Screenshot_20201208_142857.thumb.jpg.b64f63755290b6a4d1740cc379f789eb.jpgScreenshot_20201208_142715.thumb.jpg.f8816435c4be468c96120dc73a9b8110.jpg

Just need a good long easterly like that and some cold to tap into.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
2 minutes ago, Updated_Weather said:

Anything that far is in FI.. Can't say its looking average at the moment if models are to believed anyways.

Exactly i'm going for the opposite of The Models. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
22 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I always query these charts as to whether the anomalies are anomalous enough. 

Unless the anomalies are off the scale I don't get too excited, this might just show low pressure of 1000mb as opposed to 980mb.

Totally agree

Pressure anomaly charts on their own are so misleading. The reds have to be really deep red in the northern latitudes because the average pressure readings in winter are fairly low over Greenland, Iceland and West Scandi in the winter

That tail of heights into E Europe actually indicate pretty strong high pressure there because pressure is usually fairly high anyway

It's not a great chart at all but the interest lies beyond anyway, I think

Temp anomaly charts are better for very obvious reasons

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

spacer.png t 360

maybe better at Dec 23rd perhaps ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

We are definitely seeing hints of an Atlantic ridge developing in the mid term in the output but ECM not interested as yet.

If the Atlantic ridge does develop it will greatly increase the chances of cold before Christmas.

Let's see how the main models go this afternoon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ITSY said:

UKMO officials indicating, as per Catacol's note, the interim likelihood of slow moving atlantic systems in the context of so much blocking everywhere. No comment on longer term prospects but see med-long term outlook by ECM below and the full tweet here. As catacol says, need these ratios to start showing more later-stage green in coming week or so...

https://twitter.com/Petagna/status/1336293553056739328?s=19

SmartSelect_20201208-133054_Twitter.jpg

Remember Scandi blocks can often be neutral or positive NAOs

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

ICON now looking rather like the UKMO now!

540A5D90-BD11-4FCA-A717-A28418537C10.thumb.png.0ae78197c559c30c25a4bba59618d289.png

I might still be playing the Grinch here but I’m struggling to see the excitement? UKMO and Icon both have zero cold anywhere in site ? Even if there was a true undercut there is no cold to draw west? 

4C4C9716-931F-411D-A120-B0CE4070ED59.png

• Like 3