Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Need to see some cold uppers. That's one of the most tepid NW airflows I've seen in December.

That's the problem Iceland is not that cold atm,above 0c by day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I agree mate. Wont matter if we get the super low heights over us though at this time of the year with it an organised area of precipitation and not convection

Look at the NH view for 850s at 216. I don't ever remember seeing so much warmth around the edges in late December. You usually see it end of Feb/early March as warmth starts to head N with the increasing daylight.

It's shocking.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Look at the NH view for 850s at 216. I don't ever remember seeing so much warmth around the edges in late December. You usually see it end of Feb/early March as warmth starts to head N with the increasing daylight.

It's shocking.

Yeah I agree with you its quite stark how warm that whole area is at this time of the year. Id still bet good money on a lot of snow though if the polar low drops south although we would have issues with were relying on convection from a warm irish or north sea

• Like 1

Well, we are seeing model alignment towards a very nice progression..

I personally would like to see improved ridging & tilting of the ridging at Newfoundland on the next few runs at 120-144h for added confidence.

Plus the ECM still leaves room for sliding lows which would deepen the cold pool to our east whilst providing means of polar low development.. The stronger Greenland high on the GFS is certainly not a guarantee, however in both cases the trajectory is cold it has to be said

20201220_065613.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

Irrespective of who has moved to who, and this argument is getting very tiring, no complaints if this was the eventual outcome at t216... 

ECH1-216.GIF?20-12

The ECM looks great, and regardless of the forecast 850s not being that cold I imagine it’ll feel very cold and there will be snow about. I expect upgrades with this now, might not get a white Xmas but a white end to December is looking increasingly likely .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, Ravelin said:

Irrespective of who has moved to who, and this argument is getting very tiring, no complaints if this was the eventual outcome at t216... 

ECH1-216.GIF?20-12

Yes your correct. The ec at 240 hours also is in a very good place on the nhp. The 850s arnt spectacular but taken in isolation the ec is all good be it fi and all other caveats. Good start to the day

Posted

Bit disappointing the day 10 considering you can always trust a low of eastern seaboard to steamroll through if the low went SE it would encourage even more WAA and more poleward ridge. Lots of interest at the moment.

5F88128D-9A9E-4258-A775-FF553B7835E4.thumb.png.20ec510b2c78efa513cf1f6fbd180791.png80E6AC1E-346F-439F-9675-6FB3639FE1E2.thumb.png.47fdf9eced7898b5c26d08e398b4b7f3.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Still not impressed with the lack of cold, looks like a lot of cold rain to me. Of course some places will get lucky, but there will be a huge slice of marginality. 

Nowadays anything from the north just doesn't seem to cut it, we always need a much more easterly component to bring the true cold in.

The charts look great on face value, they scream cold. And then you look at them and the cold just isn't there. It's pretty disheartening to finally see these great looking charts, but then without the cold you'd associate with them.

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

It's shocking.

The problem is it isn't a straight northerly, i.e. origins from the pole.. following  the lines, if you break wind in your back garden you will smell it a couple of days later after its visited Finland! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, KTtom said:

The problem is it isn't a straight northerly, i.e. origins from the pole.. following  the lines, if you break wind in your back garden you will smell it a couple of days later after its visited Finland! 

You would expect it to be colder.

EE1A0E40-B49E-4D58-BCED-9AE74722F465.thumb.jpeg.d3fcea41051862f80aa373c4c549672e.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, KTtom said:

You hit the nail on the head. This is essentially the point some of us have been making for the last few weeks. The wind direction per se isn’t the only factor, it’s where the air mass originated. These big bowling ball weather systems are probably not going to deliver what most people want on here as we need either a genuine arctic airmass or a polar continental. Although winds are from the north the airmass is closer to a polar maritime albeit it could actually be argued its a heavily modified returning tropical continental airmass. In essence a similar concept to how we end up with warmish north westerlies from a round shaped high sitting of the west coast of Ireland (which we also see in the output this morning).

40 years ago this set up would have been a couple of degrees colder and therefore just about adequate. These days unless it’s a true arctic airmass we really need need a continental type flow as it tends to be colder in the lower parts of the atmosphere.

Whilst not the only factor at play here it is an example of global warming in action and it’s only going to get harder to get snow as the years roll on. Winter now arrives in Moscow in mid November most years whereas even 15 years ago it would be mid or late October. 

We could actually do with the pattern shifting East and sacrificing any first cool spell so as to pull some colder air down across continental Europe. We might never benefit from it, but at least that way there would be a cold pool to draw on later.

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Looks like the more amplified solutions from days 8-10 dominate the EPS.  Much better mean than last night.

Most positive post of morning for me.  I was worried yesterday on the trending on ECM means yesterday.  

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ultima Thule said:

UKMO and ECM are close at 144, haven't a clue what you are on about.

Okay maybe im viewing them wrong!!i correct myself then and i will say ukmo will look brilliant like the ecm with a scandi trough and atlantic high from 168 hours onwards!!!woohoo!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
8 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Brilliant ecm and moved towards the gfs!!a middle ground solution wont be too bad at all!!ukmo is disgusting!

You think? Ukmo looks OK to me ie Atlantic shut off ie West to east flow, Heighths possibly moving north then lower Heighths hopefully moving sse threw the UK. Not a freeze but still a decent path to be on even with all the current fluctuations and caveats. Thinking its not a bad outlook and start to the day sheikhy

• Thanks 1

Posted

Another point to consider this morning is that with such a large area of low pressure the charts at days 7,8 and 9 will not be picking up on secondary lows (Nicks famous short waves). As we get nearer the time expect things to get messy with smaller systems popping up and delaying things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
10 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Another point to consider this morning is that with such a large area of low pressure the charts at days 7,8 and 9 will not be picking up on secondary lows (Nicks famous short waves). As we get nearer the time expect things to get messy with smaller systems popping up and delaying things.

........Or enhancing things

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Jason M said:

And giving surprise snow events in more slack cyclonic flow. Like this.

1CAEF824-F64E-4606-AB5F-E2C69F2D3D5D.thumb.png.78c8b01aed4702da7e2020e8f750e655.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

At t240 we have this. With this mean. I added the last one for all those who love to see problems and disappointment.

B3F85B69-094C-4FB2-950F-941F71E87DD1.png

A8F7A27B-9916-4DC5-AD1A-687D9853AE23.png

EFB4194C-AE24-44A6-B93C-0D81F32FFEE0.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1