Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
7 minutes ago, Howie said:

A good portion of the ensembles below the mean

Yes. Actually a good number of easterlies in amongst them from day 9 onwards. Not many 'beasterlies' but certainly a good few that would be cold enough. 

-6 at 850 level in a continental airmass is a different story completely. Can achieve an ice day with that (especially in late Dec early Jan), whereas in a day 2 PM airmass 5-6c is often achievable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, bumpydogz said:

50% of them maybe? 

4 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Yes. Actually a good number of easterlies in amongst them from day 9 onwards. Not many 'beasterlies' but certainly a good few that would be cold enough. 

-6 at 850 level in a continental airmass is a different story completely. Can achieve an ice day with that (especially in late Dec early Jan), whereas in a day 2 PM airmass 5-6c is often achievable. 

Looking good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well I’ve got to say looking at the 850s on the gfs output it looks like for the majority of the U.K. we would be looking at cold rain for the vast majority of us.  And just seen the weather for the week ahead and temps for Xmas day we are looking at between 6c in the north and 8c in the south so pretty standard fair to be honest. Still think into the new year could be our best shot that’s if the ssw works in our favour fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, terrier said:

Well I’ve got to say looking at the 850s on the gfs output it looks like for the majority of the U.K. we would be looking at cold rain for the vast majority of us.  And just seen the weather for the week ahead and temps for Xmas day we are looking at between 6c in the north and 8c in the south so pretty standard fair to be honest. Still think into the new year could be our best shot that’s if the ssw works in our favour fingers crossed. 

I suspect they will be nudged down a degree or two for 24th/25th ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

I think we have lift off with those 6z ensembles..plenty of em throwing a treat or 2 our way..we just need this to carry on building momentum now,and for those boys down Lands End way to show a little more enthusiasm for us coldies

gens-0-1-192.png

gens-3-1-192.png

gens-3-0-192.png

gens-4-1-252.png

gens-4-0-252.png

gens-5-1-276.png

gens-10-1-348.png

gens-10-0-348.png

gens-15-1-372.png

gens-17-1-216.png

gens-17-0-252.png

tenor-3.gif

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, terrier said:

As has been mentioned before though, 850s are just one of many elements factored in when forecasting snow. Those calling cold rain based purely on underwhelming 850s are being basic in their analysis.

Furthermore, temps of 6-8C are, at the time of writing based on current model guidance, a degree or two too high. I suspect 4-5C widely and 6-7C around coasts with a fairly significant windchill.

Edited by Steel City Skies

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

As has been mentioned before though, 850s are just one of many elements factored in when forecasting snow. Those calling cold rain based purely on underwhelming 850s are being basic in their analysis.

Furthermore, temps of 6-8C are, at the time of writing based on current model guidance, a degree or two too high. I suspect 4-5C widely and 6-7C around coasts with a fairly significant windchill.

The slacker the flow the better...

We want that big trough dropping through at 144 to do so as quickly and as far south as possible...

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

It looks like the Russian high will be back around the turn of the year according to the GFS mean. Can it be friend rather than foe this time around? On a positive note this may help with the potential SSW.

GFSAVGNH06_306_1.png

looks slack, and quite cold for Europa...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
25 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Christmas period (24-26th), now coming into the reliable, I'll be giving some general views about likely prospects this evening, these can only be initial, firmed up tomorrow, and by Tuesday more definitively.

Based on current synoptics, the trend is colder through the coming week, and longer term nothing to suggest any significant mild reload, opposite if anything.

Thinking back to the last 10 years or so, there hasn't been a christmas since 2010 when we had prospects of temperatures at least a bit below average (yes can't compare this year to 2010), but its refreshing not to be looking at a raging atlantic bringing likely heavy rain, gales and constant mild temperatures. Gosh just a bit of frost will be very welcome.

Nice post. (To be fair the quality of posts in here have continued to be good).

Although the amount of amplification we could get after Christmas Day is still being resolved, a chance though we could see further chilly conditions, personally makes me glad we’re not in the same place at the moment of last Winter. 

Just an example from both today’s and yesterday’s 00Z GFS runs for Sunday evening again next week, and the similarities between them are quite rather impressive. Still maintaining a highly amplified signal upstream in the Atlantic, and a deep UK upper trough.

Yesterday’s 06Z GFS

238793EE-832D-4761-BA2D-0D0DE86370C5.thumb.png.6f91c883383f628f289dd09c05fba2de.png

Today’s 06Z GFS

A277B1D1-C73C-4D96-9B4C-1A35E5335DE3.thumb.png.d361256e2deb201a36960940cee97cea.png

Today’s 06Z GFS is a little less amplified, some Low Pressure also trying to go over the top of the Western UK ridge across Northern Greenland. It’s consistency overall has been good. 

Some fence sitting would still be worth it until some of the other models such as the GEM come on board. Not impossible for the GFS to become flatter, but it does seem to be sticking to its ideas. The ECMWF has stepped up a bit with a bit more amplification of the Atlantic ridging in its run compared to yesterday, seemingly making somewhat of a move towards the GFS, which is encouraging. I think that halfway house between the GFS and ECMWF could be where we go. Quite often the case with these things really. Something a lot on here would probably be satisfied enough with. Guess we’ll see how things keeping shaping up ??

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jason M said:

There would be no surface inversion in the modelled set up. In normal lapse rates -6 uppers, in a convective set up, would produce surface temps at 150ft of roughly 3C by day & 0C by night and a freezing level of 380m. This would definitely be somewhat marginal for areas below around 400ft/120m. Bear in mind heavy ppn would effectively remove the top-down lapse rate to near 0 eroding the >0c layer. This would produce a lower snow line..

I also want to clear up confusion about the word zonality and the whole concept of it.

When I used the word "zonal" this morning, I was not describing a positive nao / westerlies.. I was refering to zonality as an index which is how many refer to it as. So any increase in zonality does not instantly mean roaring westerlies, instead any change in part of the pattern which increaes the % of westerly vectors on the map for the area being described as having a zonal tendency. This is where the distinction between "zonal" and "zonal component" is made. The movement of low pressure out of south west GL for example as modelled on the ECM at day 9-10 is an example of an embedded zonal component in a reversed environment. This is localized zonality,, not "zonal" conditions.

I also made no reference to surface conditions, which may even benefit from the greater values projected for the zonal component around Greenland adding in instability to the cold air mass. The ECM/ GEM still have this polar jet injectio, though it has been phased out a little. So still not 100% keen on the GFS Greenland solution but the option is there.

Edited by Kasim Awan
Need to include evap cooling info
  • Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

There would be no surface inversion in the modelled set up. In normal lapse rates -6 uppers would produce surface temps of roughly 3C by day & 0C by night and a freezing level of 380m. This would definitely be somewhat marginal for areas below around 250ft/75m.

I also want to clear up confusion about the word zonality and the whole concept of it.

When I used the word "zonal" this morning, I was not describing a positive nao / westerlies.. I was refering to zonality as an index which is how many refer to it as. So any increase in zonality does not instantly mean roaring westerlies, instead any change in part of the pattern which increaes the % of westerly vectors on the map for the area being described as having a zonal tendency. This is where the distinction between "zonal" and "zonal component" is made. The movement of low pressure out of south west GL for example as modelled on the ECM at day 9-10 is an example of an embedded zonal component in a reversed environment. This is localized zonality,, not "zonal" conditions.

I also made no reference to surface conditions, which may even benefit from the greater values projected for the zonal component around Greenland adding in instability to the cold air mass. The ECM/ GEM still have this polar jet injectio, though it has been phased out a little. So still not 100% keen on the GFS Greenland solution but the option is there.

Nice Post again.

This is the kind of setup that sees local hills do  well...

I posted earlier, hills across much of Northern England, moreso towards Scotland will,or could see some snowy weather in the coming weeks...

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

When I used the word "zonal" 

The first rule of cold club is you do not talk about Zonal. The 2nd rule of cold club is you do not talk about Zonal.

200-1.thumb.gif.2da54b2ad6b76db9f1f5779deac47d8f.gif

Edited by Rapodo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Nice Post again.

I posted earlier, hills across much of Northern England, moreso towards Scotland will,or could see some snowy weather in the coming weeks...

You’re right, of course the hills should do well. I’ve noticed the 850s are steadily trending downwards however, and we’re still a long way out...

12z Friday & 6z today for my area below. The mean 850 temp has dropped from around -3 to -5c in the last 48 hours. Could it continue? Maybe.

12z Friday:

98515399-E45E-4764-B111-4E82057299D9.png

6z today

33BF5DD5-863C-475D-A7C2-9FAEB44169BA.png

Edited by Cold Winter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Nice Post again.

Let’s hope we can get some to lower levels too Even if it’s of the falling, rather than settling, kind. Some surprises definitely couldn’t be ruled out anywhere depending how the models continue to handle the weather patterns after Christmas. 

Certainly Christmas itself looking chilly and festive ??

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Well meto seem to be onboard now with severe conditions in the north and south could get snow aswell 

Are they?

I've not seen anything, I'll have a look...

Let's hope for upgrades im desperate to wheel out some gifs !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Snow charts from ECMWF 00z +144, +168, +192,+240h

spacer.png  ECMWF_168_EU_ASN_fr-FR_fr.png  ECMWF_192_EU_ASN_fr-FR_fr.pngECMWF_240_EU_ASN_fr-FR_fr.png

Temps

ECMWF_144_EU_T2M_fr-FR_fr.png  ECMWF_168_EU_T2M_fr-FR_fr.png  ECMWF_192_EU_T2M_fr-FR_fr.png  ECMWF_240_EU_T2M_fr-FR_fr.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold snowy winters, thunderstorms

Latest met office outlook now seems to be inline with (models consensus) for the medium term prospects. Highlighting it becoming possibly  stormy with heavy rain or potential snow towards the new year. Looking at the utility industry updates I get its seems like it will be more marginal to higher ground the further south you go and more to the lower levels further north - (north of M4 for example - the better the odds of seeing snow). As is usually the case. Critically it will come down to how low those upper layers reach across the country. Interesting watching to come . 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1