Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Looking at the GEFS for my location over the past few days, around the 29th, the OP for MSLP has either been an outlier, or the bottom of the pack. Something is going to give soon! Either that low pressure will be modelled weaker, or it will correct East.

• Like 4

Posted

The lack of energy over  North East Canada is a positive..  like @CreweCold says, if we do get unlucky with the trough not clearing enough south east of the UK, then we should be 3rd time lucky on the next wave of amplification. 

Edited by Battleground Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

The highest snow risk % yet for London on Xmas eve  GFS 18z ensembles

graphe3_00000___-0.12574_51.5085_Londres.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The gefs mean at 192.

gensnh-31-1-192.thumb.png.5bd12af9408e92ec8473148fbb5da2e7.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
8 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

With regard to potential strat warming that GFS has been consistently running over last few days. Now that it's approaching some degree of warming around day 10 - is this backed up to some extent by ECM or JMA now it's coming into their range?

Feel free to move into strat if not suitable for here. 

image.thumb.gif.3b3eade7d06ccbe149fcd2d1cda993f3.gif

Coming into view on the JMA now. Some level of warming is now highly likely as the precursor patterns have already occurred. Answers to a)how strong b)what type of SSW c)long term permutations in the troposphere... are presently unknown...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

The highest snow risk % yet for London on Xmas eve  GFS 18z ensembles

graphe3_00000___-0.12574_51.5085_Londres.png

Yes.. that mean and member sync.  Are belly diving..... it’s as good an-ens plot ya could possibly wish for... on we roll!@Xmas period..

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

The gfs is like a dog with a bone. Nobody has banged on about the gfs superiority over ecm with regards to north western atlantic blocking than me over the years. The ecm has been all over the shop these last 48hrs. The gfs has been as cool as a cucumber. No more to be said. 

gensnh-0-1-180.png

Don't often blow the trumpet of GFS against ECM, but I do when it comes  blocking to the NW, from my watching of models for a long time, it outperforms ECM in this respect. ECM tends to outperform GFS when it comes to blocking to our NE and E, that's my observation anyway.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

Great charts though - may as well hope to be snowed in as most of us won’t be going anywhere anyway!

Mmm you wonder if government new Christmas rules took account of weather forecast, I suspect may well have had some influence, people unable to travel back and being stuck somewhere else, emergency services, I would not at all be surprise and being serious. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Don't often blow the trumpet of GFS against ECM, but I do when it comes  blocking to the NW, from my watching of models for a long time, it outperforms ECM in this respect. ECM tends to outperform GFS when it comes to blocking to our NE and E, that's my observation anyway.

The winter achilles heel of the ecm. The north west atlantic amplification conundrum. 

Posted
Just now, damianslaw said:

Mmm you wonder if government new Christmas rules took account of weather forecast, I suspect may well have had some influence, people unable to travel back and being stuck somewhere else, emergency services, I would not at all be surprise and being serious. 

This is what I had in mind. It does make you wonder, they've had an advance warning in regards to the weather but we'll have to see what happens!

Posted

Aww gwan then we’ll take em .  Eps/gefs .. obviously with diversity.. but on the same page @ultimately!!   The polar/block formats . The troughing and scales a little different.. but overall singing the same hymn!! .. bias or not unfolding sequence.. as I have.. the Gefs are by way of evolution.. the more supportive/supposed... quote something tbh

482EDA7B-6F2C-4AEB-AEB8-8D7510137D45.pngThe west based/east bast oscillating are again imo favoured via gefs.. to polar/and momentum reasons!.. yet with a more pronounced ghp.. as we near.. and fold.

89DABA45-3C0E-4204-8FE6-901F3019DA37.png

63934813-63CF-4B32-BC8C-20E46C5C1AE4.png

98765248-346A-4E58-AB58-B9F540A0C68F.png

FAD50C27-9E37-4B8D-B7FC-B2039BE476A2.png

119496EE-1AFB-4232-8324-83A718373B78.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, NeilN said:

This is what I had in mind. It does make you wonder, they've had an advance warning in regards to the weather but we'll have to see what happens!

Perhaps the weather might finally make some headlines over the virus!..

Back to GFS 18z that is a locked in cold pattern. No easy way out of it. Just one run, but significant consistency from GFS about 8 runs now, prior we had major fluctuations from one run to the next. I do sit up when GFS is so consistent and bullish, more so when we have blocking sign to the NW.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

GFS moving towards Euro ...

Try hold off posting too early mate, plenty of the run still to go when to you posted that and it didn’t turn out too bad in the end did it?!

• Like 3

Posted
31 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Try hold off posting too early mate, plenty of the run still to go when to you posted that and it didn’t turn out too bad in the end did it?!

Haha... well it did to be fair,and then did a Houdini....

Let's hope for the same come morning !!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Vikos said:

spacer.png Ok, last one, but this does remind me of something spacer.png

Me old mukka-mr singh wants ya number pal @new editions just in!!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
56 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Perhaps the weather might finally make some headlines over the virus!..

Back to GFS 18z that is a locked in cold pattern. No easy way out of it. Just one run, but significant consistency from GFS about 8 runs now, prior we had major fluctuations from one run to the next. I do sit up when GFS is so consistent and bullish, more so when we have blocking sign to the NW.

I for one (having just come out of hibernation) am loving the pin the 'tail on the donkey' NetWeather seasonal banter this year, Cold is coming and the will it wont it gfs /ukmo/ arpege et' al certainly excites.

It's not like we're going anywhere for a while yet - so very enjoyable 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Pixel said:

I for one (having just come out of hibernation) am loving the pin the 'tail on the donkey' NetWeather seasonal banter this year, Cold is coming and the will it wont it gfs /ukmo/ arpege et' al certainly excites.

It's not like we're going anywhere for a while yet - so very enjoyable 

Well said! Beautiful retrogression in the almost near 

gfs-0-180.png?18

In winters' past we'd take this big time.

• Like 3

Slightly more positive (flatter) tilt to the gfs - coming in line with other output's more zonal cold blast theme

Edit: by more zonal I mean more of a nw-se jet than a ne-sw jet as shown on the gfs. I thought zonal was an adjective, describing zonality as a magnitude / index than a definitive westerly is how I think.

Edited by Kasim Awan

The ec, gem and icon all have a significantly more zonal / westerly component to the cold injection. The GFS has made some considerable progress towards producing this outcome by more realistically dealing with shortwave activity during the ridge pivoting.

This is a classic scenario, imho, where the gfs is playing catchup with other output. Hopefully I'm wrong. The "other output" is just as fugitive for cold / snow risk; more a continued nw-se train with temporary colder sectors, than a complete east circulation / deep cold shown on the gfs.

Look at the ec clusters and you will see this

Edited by Kasim Awan

Just now, Scott Ingham said:

The gfs is another good run with the same ideas. The ecm will move to the GFS as expected. The cold spell is still there and will continue to be there no matter how much you spin.

The more easterly low track has been favoured by the majority of output for 2 runs now. I favour a gem+ecm combo more than the gfs, I don't disregard the gfs completely, it's idea of a huge cut otf low which develops into a NErly seems a little "optimistic".

Instead, a more zonal component as faboured would do the following: a more easterly low track will drive in colder uppers. This seen very nicely on the GEM. It also means showers would be plentiful. As the ridge is pushed eastwards, the northerly is initiated. This also hinted at on the ECM. This would be better for many than the GFS..

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

The more easterly low track has been favoured by the majority of output for 2 runs now. I favour a gem+ecm combo more than the gfs, I don't disregard the gfs completely, it's idea of a huge cut otf low which develops into a NErly seems a little "optimistic".

Instead, a more zonal component as faboured would do the following: a more easterly low track will drive in colder uppers. This seen very nicely on the GEM. It also means showers would be plentiful. As the ridge is pushed eastwards, the northerly is initiated. This also hinted at on the ECM. This would be better for many than the GFS..

Both outputs are coming together.

Ecm isnt even out yet.

Just because the ridge thrown up is a little less robust after one run doesnt automatically mean a climb down.

Stay on the fence and watch them converge your over reacting

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Both outputs are coming together.

Ecm isnt even out yet.

Just because the ridge thrown up is a little less robust after one run doesnt automatically mean a climb down.

Stay on the fence and watch them converge your over reacting

There is a difference between a zonal component and complete zonality - the former when associated with a cold spell produces more of toppler type characteristics / progression, rather than a complete cut off from the polar yet, like ecm 12z yesterday. This progression at the day 7-9 timeframe, which is imo favoured, does not guarantee a sudden break down either.

I can't see a gfs carbon copy verifying given the more credible output is more sensible in the evolution. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

There is a difference between a zonal component and complete zonality - the former when associated with a cold spell produces more of toppler type characteristics / progression, rather than a complete cut off from the polar yet, like ecm 12z yesterday. This progression at the day 7-9 timeframe, which is imo favoured, does not guarantee a sudden break down either.

I can't see a gfs carbon copy verifying given the more credible output is more sensible in the evolution. 

There is no west to east unhindered jet so there is no zonality at all. Full stop. I guess well wait and see. The full outcome will be nearer GFS than ECM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1