Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Closing in on Christmas

Paul

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Chaps we have differences at t120 which greatly affect the pattern afterwards we need to watch this circled low for what it does before we can properly understand what is happening going forward. 

983D2FB6-E0A0-4EBF-89B7-EB16FA7459F1.jpeg

This is an interesting feature that's been floating around the output for a while now. It may be one of those things that causes some local short term entropy but actually has little bearing on the final destination. I just don't see this as being significant in the broader scale picture. That said, I watch with interest in the hope that I'm proved wrong. Lets see if the pub run has been on the sauce tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
10 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

The ECM EPS mean (the one we mortals see) has given some probability for cold scenarios for quite a while, and still does so today. Given the massive upfront uncertainty, highlighted in earlier post, do you think that a lower resolution model (which I assume the 46 is, happy to be corrected if not) will have a better idea, Matt?

Mike im not sure on the resolution bit...I've only viewed out till end of the month so far on the mean..  I will run through all 50 member a little later and give you more of an update mate..

Looks settled into the first week of January...Still keen to have low Heights around Iceland.. 

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Jason M said:

This is an interesting feature that's been floating around the output for a while now. It may be one of those things that causes some local short term entropy but actually has little bearing on the final destination. I just don't see this as being significant in the broader scale picture. That said, I watch with interest in the hope that I'm proved wrong. Lets see if the pub run has been on the sauce tonight.

Jason look through the 12z run of the ICON, the low is key as it helps keep the high propped up and is an linking path for lows to undercut the high. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
11 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Chaps we have differences at t120 which greatly affect the pattern afterwards we need to watch this circled low for what it does before we can properly understand what is happening going forward. 

983D2FB6-E0A0-4EBF-89B7-EB16FA7459F1.jpeg

I disagree, it is this low or couple of lows that is causing the problem, ICON 18z T120:

DEFD442A-7595-43EF-A159-3A2B8F314282.thumb.jpeg.9709d44729fa961177d48ff47799d2a2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Jason look through the 12z run of the ICON, the low is key as it helps keep the high propped up and is an linking path for lows to undercut the high. 

Oddly enough, it was being floated as far back as Monday by a couple of the models and then dropped as it was phased in to the circulation of the current LP. It's an interesting evolution but as I recall it didn't end well in terms of cold (surprisingly). 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Yep, get that. 18Z ikon runs out to 120 hours so its impossible to be definitive but my own (possibly wrong)  view is that we still end up with similar to what's being shown elsewhere by day 8 or 9. Either way, we will probably know soon enough. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Bricriu said:

It's not a good sign when the CFS is being referenced. This is the same CFS that was showing very impressive upper around Christmas a while back.

I agree that cfs is to be treated with caution. However, it has touted a cold Christmas for a while now and it certainly looks cold from what I am seeing in the modelling. Glacier Point often quoted and cited the cfs weekly anomalies in his analysis and if they are good enough for him then they are certainly good enough for me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

This is getting ridiculous now, GFS 18z T114, compared with GEM and UKMO at T120 from 12z, uncertain feature circled on GFS:

CDBE8D2D-A274-473F-913C-8629C025D9BF.thumb.jpeg.c4d4700c428ae85ae7d6bd4e25b5402e.jpeg51F4E0AC-135F-4F81-B9D8-5F1C989E4430.thumb.png.470cae8c95c5aa3471b16881fd352b46.png849849E7-3D8E-4430-8267-18889D1B5444.thumb.gif.8ec78df5a15cf4315dd569d834fec1f6.gif

Getting this low right is pivotal to getting the degree of amplification right in the Atlantic, and everything else that follows on from it.  

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Which leaves EC isolated and the choreography to me anyway,suggest ukmo is on the money here...

Choreography, are you the Andrew Lloyd webber of netweather anyway another gfs run another change. See how all three main models sit Tom. 

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

18z..

image.thumb.png.80fa8df5a71f3cb0ec769bce3b1b623d.png

12z

image.thumb.png.d82971b6bc59ca1655bb34e4d02891b1.png

Look at the amplification in the atlantic as well!!got the best of both worlds so far on this run!!!colder air way further south in the uk and then the amplification in the atlantic!!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

18z..

image.thumb.png.80fa8df5a71f3cb0ec769bce3b1b623d.png

12z

image.thumb.png.d82971b6bc59ca1655bb34e4d02891b1.png

I'll be told I'm wrong by somebody no doubt , but looks an improvement. 

Edited by Griff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Finally the gfs breaks away from that trough in the Azores and takes the UKMO route...

126 18z v's 132 12z

gfsnh-0-126.thumb.png.f6fccb4f19ee6868283237aa6671f1d4.pnggfsnh-0-132.thumb.png.2c3403fb896b32b862fdca5f40f31dfb.png

more downstream trough resulting  in better WAA into west Greenland.

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

16-30 Day GFS ensemble has Greenland ridging into Jan. 

930169C4-BF53-4982-BFB1-BB097D234F4F.png

Which ties in nicely with cfs week 3 which I posted earlier. I attach again. 

wk3.wk4_20201216.z500.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Oh, this butterfly effect... gfs swings

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

It’s a definite improvement griff

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, heat, sunshine and thunderstorms. Anything severe.

Cold northerly flooding in for Christmas Eve, what an improvement!:cold-emoji:

1E20DA88-DAD1-4548-94E3-664442B0038C.png

4CD20236-B249-4075-A295-2C604AE396BA.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Blooming hell trying to go through 50 ensembles is head banging...i pointed out that the mean was not great regarding cold..but there are a fair few colder members out towards the 1st week of January...some have serious Heights to the North and low Heights over Southern Europe.. I've just viewed a few runs with sub zero air in place of us...

So early conclusions....plenty of options on the table and I wouldn't rule out any outcome, Now I see why Exeter forecasts are low confidence into next year, we could make a case for anything goes..I wouldn't rule out really mild,or really cold tbh...but obviously I would be happier with the cold.

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1