Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - The run up to Christmas

Met4Cast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
19 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Evening all, I just saw a snapshot of the UKV on Twitter - chance of sleet/snow for inland parts of EA on Christmas Eve if this was to come off:

Ep3P3doXEAUIjej.thumb.png.17d3e2931d6ea28f3301c938ec9a6050.png

Also, there's some pretty interesting feature on the day 10 ECM chart for eastern Europe - a sudden cold pool develops out of nowhere. Does this feature have a specific name?

1794984416_ECM0-216(1).thumb.gif.a191517ccbdcee91a8d081f1971d06da.gif   901849173_ECM0-240(1).thumb.gif.94318fa7202c5dc6169ffbb890deaa91.gif

Polar continental low!!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Little change with the extended ECM ens to day 14. We keep the cold theme going out to Jan 6th..around-3.5 to -4c uppers. Obviously could end up a degree or 2 below that...hopefully.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
5 minutes ago, Portsmouth Sun said:

Really, half a cm?

Absolutely. It’s been a while 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Ext EPS clusters show three clusters and are still looking good

20201222202811-22b131ecd9cabb010251d22eb720cf32ad56efa7.thumb.png.05b0b07ff2b9e3dcbdeaf75a928d6f56.png

• Like 4

Posted

Dont read the met office contingency planning update.

Its a wash out ...

I thought it was from 2019 when I first read it.

I wonder if it was written prior to Glosea seeing  a SSW.. 

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its a wash out ...

I would imagine that was written at the start of December?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its a wash out ...

Do you have a link? It has been a wash out for the South of late but that is what has happened not a plan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its a wash out ...

I cannot believe this is out so early.  Maybe it relates to runs by their own models before GFS was shown to have predicted the upcoming spell better, much better.  They don’t look much at the GFS, but this for Jan-Mar:

E3CA68BE-9CD9-477B-B47A-DC75C71CF0BD.thumb.jpeg.38c8ed42ebc038c0a6f00bb71cc02d58.jpeg

Can I get 20/1 on the cold option then?  Is that how it works?  I’d put £1000 on tomorrow!

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Forget all the fancy number of snow parameters - when most of us see a bit of green or pink on the charts/models the chase is on! 

Few UKV precipitation snapshots looking ahead to the 27/12.

09:00:

6DB852D9-6C14-4784-85D4-7F823CC6CD94.thumb.png.bfd7e27a36ea3a11d84421ef59a84ac1.png

12:00:

5F09BA8E-4003-4231-ADD6-FB0DE8C08338.thumb.png.66d264b0b9704ff5cc0c2452fc01aaa5.png

15:00:

78F4466F-7AED-4111-9D1D-88119EEBD144.thumb.png.e3067b187a714d159e9849f603c2a6ae.png

Bank! :santa-emoji:

All in very modest 850 air in Scotland which shows the potential later in the week

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I cannot believe this is out so early.  Maybe it relates to runs by their own models before GFS was shown to have predicted the upcoming spell better, much better.  They don’t look much at the GFS, but this for Jan-Mar:

E3CA68BE-9CD9-477B-B47A-DC75C71CF0BD.thumb.jpeg.38c8ed42ebc038c0a6f00bb71cc02d58.jpeg

Can I get 20/1 on the cold option then?  Is that how it works?  I’d put £1000 on tomorrow!

How often has this actually been a decent indicator of what actually happens? Generally curious? 

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Its a wash out ...

I wonder if it was written prior to Glosea seeing  a SSW.. 

Shocking mate...January 15% cold chance..55% near average..30% mild.

The 3 seasons on whole...5% cold...55% average...40% mild..

And good point...was this based on the Glosea run of a couple of weeks ago..if this is a recent run then its basic cancelling out any SSW chance,or not a significant one. Yet going on there monthly update,the outlook beyond mid Jan is again very uncertain.. 

• Like 4

Posted

Still expecting the center of the low to be off the east coast, personally! I would expect any shifts to take place by T72, so still a couple of days to go for that.

Not seen a cut off low stuck over the UK since this oneimage.thumb.png.affd797eb7aa1ee0b709abd10f4cecb0.png

uppers were a bit more favorable though

image.thumb.png.6f5a600b9f87b55256313fb84ae7fabd.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, Updated_Weather said:

How often has this actually been a decent indicator of what actually happens? Generally curious? 

It varies, it has been right when predicting mild, but maybe not beyond the probability that the weather will be mild in UK winter.  It has been awful at predicting cold, but that is less likely in UK so less data to form an opinion.  

One further point, this used (until last month) to be written with some science in it, but the new version is so dumbed down as to be not worth reading if you follow the weather, we’ve already seen the output from most of the models it is based on in some form, e.g. GloSea5 results were out about 11 Dec if only 3 month means, CFS we can see for free, and someone usually posts the ECM seasonal.  

• Like 3

Posted

Do high res models such as UKV have more data on the variables required for snow than say the ECM? Ie does GFS & ECM have less data available to accurately calculate the likelihood of snow making it to ground level ? and for high res models that show it (ie Euro4) more accurately predict accumulation?  In a few days we will have a host of high res models to start looking at ! That will keep us from having to talk to our families in-between model runs

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Still expecting the center of the low to be off the east coast, personally! I would expect any shifts to take place by T72, so still a couple of days to go for that.

Not seen a cut off low stuck over the UK since this oneimage.thumb.png.affd797eb7aa1ee0b709abd10f4cecb0.png

uppers were a bit more favorable though

image.thumb.png.6f5a600b9f87b55256313fb84ae7fabd.png

Notice a sig difference of around 20mb in slp ! 

1 hour ago, Optimus Prime said:

On closer inspection we have this;
image.thumb.png.f1b8073a1e11b0a2a522b1eb14c3f914.png

That looks very cold to me. Not far off early January 2010.

Looks like some special weather is on the way. Makes a change. 

A surface inversion will almost certainly develop inland from 2 days in that flow.

This will massively help with snow opportunities 29th/30th. An inversion essentially gives you as good snow parameters as the altitude of the summit of the inversion by removing the milder air between the surface and the summit. So it's like being 300m up if there was no inversion.

I do think it's a very fine margined set up - these have a potentially high impact yet low to moderate risk.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

It varies, it has been right when predicting mild, but maybe not beyond the probability that the weather will be mild in UK winter.  It has been awful at predicting cold, but that is less likely in UK so less data to form an opinion.  

One further point, this used (until last month) to be written with some science in it, but the new version is so dumbed down as to be not worth reading if you follow the weather, we’ve already seen the output from most of the models it is based on in some form, e.g. GloSea5 results were out about 11 Dec if only 3 month means, CFS we can see for free, and someone usually posts the ECM seasonal.  

Mike the long range EC anomalies point to an above average temperature winter on the whole.. but this was last updated on the 5th of December.. im hoping the update for January is better..another thing worth mentioning is the fact some of these Long Rangers may have the Global Warming aspect programmed into them,like the met super computer. This could be another reason they go above average more often than not.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
42 minutes ago, jules216 said:

i have given up on trying to put my point across.Ever since november I have been mentioning here tíme and tíme again to look east as well not only NAO/AO "fetish" This winter has proven me right 100%.Appart from north of Scandinavia and Alps above 1000m there has Been no Snow in any major European Capital. EC 12Z run is perhaps the best example of blocking with very little cold- poor pattern to the east. 

It’s been a poor winter so far for Central Europe....but in response to more complaints about the Russian High - without it I don’t think we would be looking at such a meridional pattern now and the end of Atlantic influence, and in addition it is still incredibly early! It is only Dec 22....and if the split SSW happens (another product part driven by that Russian High) then probably cold will come to Europe. The U.K. will need some luck to ensure cold (some good stats on this over on the strat thread) but mainland Europe less so.

The meridional pattern has so far had you on the warm side. This won’t last....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Noted. 

Thanks??