Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

A forgiving and refreshing 17 degrees at 6 am, with evidence of some rain passing through.  Veg beds and terrace watered.  Now 20 degrees and frankly sun  too strong to sit out in.  Forecast on met for 30c peak from 2-5 this afternoon.  Night time temps far less pleasant than last night.   Far more winged insects than of late, more butterflies and moths, must be coming up on the plume.  Will, our resident young PHD Dr Entomologist who studies insect movement in Europe reckons that upwelling plumes from south bring over the majority of our butterflies.  2019 I think we had a wave of painted ladies, which sounds quite charming, and they were.

pics of terrace, veg beds, pollinator belt and one of our fably huge perpetual kale plants before being whacked by cabbage whites….

A516C1EB-8F08-47B7-A6C1-CD55B19F3569.jpeg

14CC2AF3-3E33-4679-93A8-2D045ECF115A.jpeg

EF90B29F-67C7-4D6C-8357-E620B4FC9A86.jpeg

8F535D3E-4D73-4ECD-86F8-E8A97183A72D.jpeg

9E4CD95E-FC08-4E4C-B8FD-6B78C59ABE24.jpeg

Edited by snefnug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Woah!  That’s gone hot.  We had hazy cloud that pegged back the temps around 11ish this morning, with nice little breeze.  Breeze is now wind, nice is now hot…..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Sunny and hot here in Barry, some bits of cloud around but 28C at present, still got another hour or so of heating to go. Sat inside with windows and curtains closed and fans on, makes a difference, its between 25-26C inside and that 2-3C difference can definately be felt when going inside from the garden.

Posted

Meto says Llangollen 30c. We are 4 miles over hill from there, so must be akin to that.  Llangollen is a big bowl though. House lovely and cool as curtains and blinds closed all day.   Sun gone round back of house so back out on terrace, where manky madamo cat has been all day in her bed of dust.  Warm breezy wind.  

4E242EE6-5585-4BEB-B91D-A7897CC876CF.jpeg

Edited by snefnug

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Hazy skies here most of the day but the gradually increasing temperature has now reached the hot and uncomfortable stage.   Humidity feels very high but the wind speed has also increased during the day - to the extent that one gust turned the patio umbrella inside out and I had to tie it down!   Had the windows and doors closed most of the day to keep the cool air in but the first floor rooms still warmed up unpleasantly and have now opened a couple of windows to let the wind blow through.  It’s probably not cooler air but it feels fresher!   What I can’t stop thinking about is that the temperatures in the south east and London area for tomorrow are forecast to be 10 degrees above those that I am experiencing here.  That’s going to be dangerous for some people.  

Posted

Peaked at 31.7 here about an hour ago. Think the record, set 3 miles from here will go tomorrow, hope it stays in Flintshire but other areas are in the hunt,

Pete

Posted

Cooling down nicely now, probs 20c with coolish breeze.  Might even have to put cardigan on 😉.

Posted

It’s only going to get down to around 16C in the early hours and until then it’s going to be uncomfortably warm upstairs.  Will have to sleep with the window wide open and hope the mozzies don’t get me!  Tomorrow we can look forward to 33C max according to one forecast so I’ll not be doing any work outside.  Or inside, for that matter!  

Posted

Turned out to be a cool and comfortable night after all.  The air temperature dropped fairly quickly and I had no trouble sleeping.  It’s a lovely start this morning with wall to wall strong sunshine already pushing temperatures up again but thankfully we won’t see the serious heat forecast for the south and east of England.  I remember being in London for a wedding on the 9th and 10th August 2003 when the temperature reached 38C officially but it was 39.9C on my car and it was pretty much unbearable.  You had to stay on the shady side of the street to manage walking at all and sleep was almost impossible overnight.  I know it’s common to have these temperatures in Mediterranean and tropical countries but they do have a lifestyle which accommodates the heat.  Almost all public places in Southern Europe are air conditioned these days but then they get much more then a couple of hot days every summer!

• Like 1

Posted

Here’s the projected air temperature chart for Wales at 5:00pm today from the UKMO:

5F33F702-8116-4E96-8A84-ACEA605D16A2.thumb.png.1994a5a07372fe7c25ba370ef4804f8b.png

Edited by Sky Full
  • Thanks 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Turned out to be a cool and comfortable night after all.  The air temperature dropped fairly quickly and I had no trouble sleeping.  It’s a lovely start this morning with wall to wall strong sunshine already pushing temperatures up again but thankfully we won’t see the serious heat forecast for the south and east of England.  I remember being in London for a wedding on the 9th and 10th August 2003 when the temperature reached 38C officially but it was 39.9C on my car and it was pretty much unbearable.  You had to stay on the shady side of the street to manage walking at all and sleep was almost impossible overnight.  I know it’s common to have these temperatures in Mediterranean and tropical countries but they do have a lifestyle which accommodates the heat.  Almost all public places in Southern Europe are air conditioned these days but then they get much more then a couple of hot days every summer!

9th august 2003 our wedding day in Llanarmon, 10th August, hottest day of year! But don’t know what temp was, all I remember was the heat, hotter than our honeymoon in Galicia.

• Like 1

Posted

Temps have been downgraded a little for this part of the world..

28c so far...

Still a slight breeze about from the SW..

• Like 1

Posted

According to Meto we are or will be at 35c by 3pm, according to  Netweather we are 37 and rain?  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

From Met Office twitter -  "It's provisionally the hottest day on record in Wales Gogerddan has reached 35.3°C so far today, exceeding the previous record high of 35.2°C, recorded at Hawarden Bridge, Flintshire on 2nd August 1990"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

The mercury peaked around 1pm at 33c here on the northern end of Ynys Mon just before skies clouded over off the Irish Sea , . mercury dropped to 30c for a while . skies clearing from the Sw again now and temps are on the up again , bizarrely the dop radar had bright echoes over here , you could see the rain exiting the cloud base , but evaporating on its transition groundward.

My personal max recorded temp (Davis Vantage Pro) was back in the summer of 2003 , peaking at 34.6c  ,,,  expecting 35c here towards late afternoon, subject to the skies clearing again to hot sunshine

Edit:   1500hrs .. Mercury just touched 35c , a very dry heat though ,   nothing compared to June 2019 driving west on the A8 South of France, stopped off for a lunch break just 8 miles from one of the towns that recorded France's national highest recorded temp of 45.9 c ,  getting out of the aircon'd car into the peak heat of the day was analogous from getting out of a fridge and getting into an oven

Great day for hanging the washing out .. lol .. bone dry in 30 mins 🙂

Edited by StingJet
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

and now "Hawarden in Flintshire has now provisionally reached 37.1°C "  Met office - new record (prov.)

• Like 2

Posted

Another over hyped weather event,In 1976 we had 9  consecutive days  topping over 32c. I wonder how many people are going abroad this summer 1million?so people are not worried about "Killer ,heat",                             Let's hope for a mild winter to prevent hyperthermia which is a far bigger killer than heat.

Posted

Still showing 32C on my outside thermometer in deep shade despite a light breeze.  It’s hard to walk around outside.  They decided that today was the right day to cut the silage in the field behind us but the tractor has now broken down in the middle of the field.  The poor chap driving it has had to walk back in blistering heat, no doubt to wait for help to arrive.  Doesn’t look like it’s run out of diesel, though, so maybe he’ll have to leave there tonight.   Don’t know why they chose the hottest day of the year - ever - to do this work.  It must be hellish.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

Still showing 32C on my outside thermometer in deep shade despite a light breeze.  It’s hard to walk around outside.  They decided that today was the right day to cut the silage in the field behind us but the tractor has now broken down in the middle of the field.  The poor chap driving it has had to walk back in blistering heat, no doubt to wait for help to arrive.  Doesn’t look like it’s run out of diesel, though, so maybe he’ll have to leave there tonight.   Don’t know why they chose the hottest day of the year - ever - to do this work.  It must be hellish.

Silage cutters and balers round here tend to be contract and go round the local farms, so maybe timetabled? But yes, not the best day to break down.  

joke for you:  definition of a successful farmer -  a man out standing in his field…..

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

and now "Hawarden in Flintshire has now provisionally reached 37.1°C "  Met office - new record (prov.)

I'm 3 miles away from Hawarden and I'm seeing 37.6C and I usually get 0.5C lower than the station!

Pete

Posted

Finally gave in and opened the windows upstairs because the air in the bedrooms is uncomfortably hot.  It’s probably just the same temperature outside now but I want some kind of air movement to try and make it bearable indoors.  Ground floor not too bad though as we’ve kept all the windows and doors shut and we have very thick walls!   Hope it’s going to cool down over the next couple of hours……and I never thought I would say those words. 🥵

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I recorded a high of 32.6C today, only been here 2 years so can't testify to any local records but don't think it broke any here. 

Deapite windows and doors closed the temp inside the house is still rising, less than a degree difference between the temp inside (26.7in lounge, 27.1 in dining room/kitchen and hotter upstairs) yet temp has dropped to 27.1 outside now so will open the windows soon so the house can cool down as it does outside over night.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, DeepSnow said:

I recorded a high of 32.6C today, only been here 2 years so can't testify to any local records but don't think it broke any here. 

Deapite windows and doors closed the temp inside the house is still rising, less than a degree difference between the temp inside (26.7in lounge, 27.1 in dining room/kitchen and hotter upstairs) yet temp has dropped to 27.1 outside now so will open the windows soon so the house can cool down as it does outside over night.

it was about 32 degrees in pontyclun at work today

Posted
11 hours ago, snefnug said:

9th august 2003 our wedding day in Llanarmon, 10th August, hottest day of year! But don’t know what temp was, all I remember was the heat, hotter than our honeymoon in Galicia.

I was somehow left off the invitation list to your wedding 🤔 so I went to my niece’s wedding in London instead!  It was a very hot weekend everywhere though.   And they had a chocolate fountain 😂.  Had to take a fan up to the hotel bedroom to try and sleep that evening.  I can’t remember it ever feeling so hot in the UK by night and by day.    Until today.