Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Staying cold into the new year

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

The easterly is starting to look how I feared, just simply not cold enough away from higher ground, its depressing too hear Matt Taylor saying slightly less cold air from the east in January so next week will feel cold and raw but with little reward. 

Going forward, yet again im seeing runs that has scraps of cold air, maybe hints the continent will get a bit more colder though but come on, its January and it's a blocked weather pattern, it's the least we should expect. Personally I think there is far too much high pressure and very little cold troughing, deep cold still looks a long way off imo.

Hmm I think I slightly agree with you Geordie,as even next week's easterly has been watered down and initially it had looked very cold.it seems we are always looking and chasing 10 day charts away!if we lived 1000 miles east nothing would be a problem

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Clearly the BBC not favoring UKMO if they are saying less cold from the East.

We will see... big 12z runs coming up ...

Come on UKMO !!

I think they base their forecast off of ECM. Would make sense.. But agreed, we really need UKMO to be the trend setter!

anyway I’ll go back to lurking now

• Like 3

Posted

You know your luck is out when you hear the words “less cold from the east.”

But I’m still not unhappy - I was expecting nothing this week or next regarding snow, and it looks likely to be the case.

Looks like BBC are using ECM take on things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Djdazzle said:

You know your luck is out when you hear the words “less cold from the east.”

But I’m still not unhappy - I was expecting nothing this week or next regarding snow, and it looks likely to be the case.

Looks like BBC are using ECM take on things.

GEM and UKMO need right! hopefully they won't trend towards GFS and EC 0n 12Z's

gem-1-150.png?00gem-0-156.png?00UW144-21.GIF?31-06UW144-7.GIF?31-06

Posted
7 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Come on UKMO !!

Indeed they are!

Yesterdays monthly update from Beeb was very different though so something has to give hopefully for the snowier option

Posted
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Come on UKMO !!

UKMO almost certain to back down as less cold air looks likely to drift across from East (Med source) early next week! ☹️

It's what happens after, that's the big question?

Fantastic model watching at the moment!

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

GEM and UKMO need right! hopefully they won't trend towards GFS and EC 0n 12Z's

gem-1-150.png?00gem-0-156.png?00UW144-21.GIF?31-06UW144-7.GIF?31-06

But it’s usually the less favourable outcome that verifies!

i am still hopeful, but any proper cold hasn’t even come close to being modelled in the reliable time frame. Yet.

• Like 3

Posted

Based on the 6z GFS, the CET for the first 7 days of 2021 will be about 2C - cold, but not remarkably so. 

Given that a couple of days ago the same period was looking likely to be below freezing it is easy to see how the cold spell has been watered down as it comes into a more reliable time frame, despite only minimal changes to the pattern being modelled. 

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
14 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

I think they base their forecast off of ECM. Would make sense.. But agreed, we really need UKMO to be the trend setter!

anyway I’ll go back to lurking now

Just shows that the ECM model is nae always quite as good as it's sometimes made out to be...? I always go to the MetO, for a guide as to how things might turn out -- both model- and weather-wise. And, they're always upfront when it comes to uncertainty...

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

saw on here though, 144 UKMO chart is as useless as a chocolate teapot, the least accurate of the lot

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Stu_London said:

Based on the 6z GFS, the CET for the first 7 days will be about 2C - cold, but not remarkably so. 

Given that a couple of days ago the same period was looking likely to be below freezing it is easy to see how the cold spell has been watered down as it comes into a more reliable time frame, despite the only minimal changes to the pattern being modelled. 

Now my memory is not what it used to be but I do not remember any forecast showing ice days for London’s with maybe the exception of one or maybe two Operational Runs.

the only watering down i have seen are peoples OTT expectations and this only feeds the usual “I’m sorry to say but” gang that constantly wants to police what people expect 

• Like 2

Posted

Based on the ECM, I'm seeing a slightly colder air source within the expected easterly, the flow coming from Baltics/S Scandi, and there is a bit of cold air pooling there now, yes there will be some modification as the origins are further to the SE, but perhaps not as much as some may be anticipating. Longer term, the ECM shows thicknesses below 522 dam air, and a cold trough feature set to slice through the heights from the NE with cold uppers behind.

A word on the recent spell of wintry weather, despite less than impressive cold uppers, we have thanks to the time of year enabled homegrown cold pooling to develop, maxima below 2 degrees and minima in the -2 to -4 degree mark returning means below 0 degrees; proper cold. It reminds me of the high pressure set ups we have in May when we can hit the mid 20s easily well above average, thanks to the power of the sun, despite less than impressive upper air temps.

Said it a number of times but it is 11 years since we started a New Year with a predominantly cold outlook in the offing (not comparable with 2010 in terms of depth, just yet...).

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
Just now, snowblizzard said:

UKMO almost certain to back down as less cold air looks likely to drift across from East (Med source) early next week! ☹️

Indeed ,the interest is not really this week ahead though any snow would be a bonus,the models will chop and change in the meantime a bumpy road ahead once we lose the Mediterranean source in our easterly flow then things will look much less marginal,patience is required interesting times ahead without doubt,rare set ups ahead hemisphere wise ,enjoy the ride after all there's absolutely nothing any of us can do about it.Happy new year to all when it comes from a long time lurker,back to just watching for me .

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Now my memory is not what it used to be but I do not remember any forecast showing ice days for London’s with maybe the exception of one or maybe two Operational Runs.

the only watering down i have seen are peoples OTT expectations and this only feeds the usual “I’m sorry to say but” gang that constantly wants to police what people expect 

Yeah uppers have never forecast to get below-8 and even this was patchy at best so I dont think things have got watered down, just variation on the theme which is easterly winds.

Higher ground in places over England could still see snowfall and even at some lower levels but lying snow at lower levels looks very unlikely. The lack of cold air looks like it will bite us in the backside...

Posted
12 minutes ago, Howie said:

Less cold from the east? How ridiculously unlucky

Well, it's currently turning less cold here from the North.

Based on the current model output I think they're wrong though.

Also, I see the met office are all in for cold throughout January.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, snowblizzard said:

Don’t you realise the air travels 1,200 miles? Theres plenty of distance for that air to cool It has no semblance to origins, and at present I think models aren’t capturing that. You’d think some people think it’s going to be a tropical easterly.

There was also evidently modification in early Feb 2009 very wintry for most of country the Siberian link was severed very quickly. 

A5D2B537-62B4-421F-87C2-6C913A988600.thumb.png.31955f65b29737f915a1dee5a0c20b93.png

• Like 7

Posted

I thought the issue was that Eastern Europe is having temperatures way above average and has been for some time,  so the land is warmer that it travels over. I don’t think the same was true in 2009? For example Sofia (capital of Bulgaria) is currently in double digits and is often frozen solid this time of year 

A3BE94B3-B4E6-45D6-A2D4-4DF152063CE5.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Don’t you realise the air travels 1,200 miles? Theres plenty of distance for that air to cool It has no semblance to origins, and at present I think models aren’t capturing that. You’d think some people think it’s going to be a tropical easterly.

There was also evidently modification in early Feb 2009 very wintry for most of country the Siberian link was severed very quickly. 

A5D2B537-62B4-421F-87C2-6C913A988600.thumb.png.31955f65b29737f915a1dee5a0c20b93.png

Not tropical, but see Tim Blands post!