Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Oh my good lord. What a stonker of a run! 1987 revisited if ever I’ve seen it. 

Pure North Sea snow machine magic would ensue. People will be getting buried if this one comes off. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Just now, bluearmy said:

-20c over scandi .....that’s seems unusual to me ........is it ????

image.thumb.png.3bc8b4de5ad7acf765487bb81175cff7.png

let’s create a shortwave to prevent the UK getting that surge  

BFTP

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
2 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I love a pub run special. Why do we never see runs like this on the 00z suites?

We’re not drunk then? Beer goggles etc...

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
4 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

I love a pub run special. Why do we never see runs like this on the 00z suites?

Less variables & data goes into the 18Z vs others I believe, hence it's verification % is lower. Someone may correct me.

Posted

Sorry to be a party pooper...GFSp is a bit rubbish tonight...unless you’re a duck! Can’t win them all though ...06057BCE-7C1B-4930-BE1A-D75EE01601B9.thumb.png.e80b3f0f1992e02432097a54231e3617.png

08D96A5B-A828-4549-81E8-BB42D2C003CA.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Wow that is some set of ensembles, shows the models are a bit out of their depth here! So basically in two weeks time we could experiencing anything from 14C and humid to maxes of -5C...

One or the other would be nice, but to be honest it'll be nothing like either scenario!

20210108_230245.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Shortwave approaching West Ireland seems overblown on this run at 120, 

spacer.png

leading to a crossroads low at 144

spacer.png

Ensemble madness ensues from this point.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

We’re all talking about what happens around day 8 and beyond lol but we may have a WTF moment in the morning when the UKMO shows a undercut of that wedge and the other models follow and we get an easterly . 

I wouldn’t rule anything out ...models all over the place , but most lead to a snowy spell at some point ??‍♂️

66D43CC3-2FBA-45A4-AD2F-D602F866051E.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

I wouldn’t rule anything out ...models all over the place , but most lead to a snowy spell at some point ??‍♂️

Yep that’s how I’m thinking bout it , it’ll be brilliant to get that WTF Moment at day 5 and 6 but even if we don’t there’s plenty more to look forward to

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Wow! Just catching up with the models following a long walk around the snowy landscape of East Cumbria, what joy to see trees weighed down with snow and the silence of a 4 inch snow cover, however, I digress.

ECM is a peach this evening, I love the way the cold wins out not through the hurried transit of low pressure but through the subtle movement of high pressure cells resulting in  cold air filtering slowly across the Country from the Arctic Tundra which by 144 is what Scandinavia will look like.

Reminds me of early February 1991 when mild weather at the of January was slowly replaced by bitter air from the East, I recall Ian McCaskil presenting the Countryfile forecast pointing to charts showing a slack mild south to south easterly air flow, he said 'in winter their is only one safe direction for the wind to come from and that's West, anything East of South could quickly put us into the freezer' he knew of course that the rather primitive models at the time were forecasting a drop of pressure in the Med and a rise in pressure over Scandinavia which would back the wind over the UK into the east.

That of course is exactly what happened.

Andy

• Like 4

Posted
56 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

Waiting for someone to say that these uppers will only deliver sleet to lower levels.

CD4B02B4-CC35-414B-82C7-F2394DC3D065.png

I saw rain at minus 0.7C last week but even so, pretty sure this would be white for all!

Very encouraging signs for coldies overall - even next week's breakdown is itself breaking down. Remove the Iberian heights and it'll be a shoein.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Remember my date of the 20th from the other day? Still think that'll be the landing point.

I do hope you are right.  14 days is on the quick side.  There's still a lot of short and mid term volatility.  Might take longer and a second attack on the strat vortex (if we are to get deep cold).  There seems to be traction on lower heights to the South of the UK and ridging of heights into Greenland.  The ensembles tell a mix message on all models which is unsurprising given the flux and the lower resolution and adjusted input data.  Happy to see the operationals move in the right direction but I wont feel confident until the ensembles can back it up and we get more inter-run consistency in the relative short term.  Keep them fingers crossed!

• Like 1