Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I've given in here and lit the Aga range, 13c in living room.. I've done well this year (but it has been mild) and would normally have had it on though most of October. Its an old range but very simple and does all the hot water/cooking and heating. So the electric costs will drop dramatically and we are currently only paying £21 a month as nearly £400 in credit plus the government payments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

All good things must come to an end.

Got home from work to find the inside temperature was 13.5°c, CH brought out of its Autumnal slumber. 

If the latest Met Office 10 day trender is on the money, the CH won't be on for very long 👍 

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

No. 

Doing quite well living in the back out room with just the Woodburner. 

My lad complaining a bit  

-1 this am  

• Like 1

Posted

It's still bearable temp wise in the flat as long as I put a hot water bottle under the blanket on the sofa - but with real humidity problems of a very small flat, I can smell the mildrew/mold kicking off so reluctantly it will go on for an hour or so tonight for the first time since April.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Of course. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

We finally gave in and started having our heating on in the evenings.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

Never mind the heating. But should this be surviving in Northern Ireland at the start of November?

Just flew in the house, and no, the heating isn't on!

Could contain: Animal, Insect, Invertebrate, Butterfly

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Ours came on for an hour or so one day a few weeks ago but over the last few days it's been on properly in the evening as the house has been noticeably cooler than it was. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Log burner lit and ticking away nicely, same as last night, its a chilly night again and i aint sitting under a pile of blankets to keep warm just to save a quid on a few logs!

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Still no heating on for the majority of the house, even during the chilly nights of last night and tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
42 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Never mind the heating. But should this be surviving in Northern Ireland at the start of November?

Just flew in the house, and no, the heating isn't on!

Could contain: Animal, Insect, Invertebrate, Butterfly

Aww.. he is lovely. 😊

I think he's a bit confused as to what season we are in, or perhaps looking for somewhere to hibernate - your home. I recall seeing a wasp in late November some years ago, and my mother recalls seeing one in January.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Aww.. he is lovely. 😊

I think he's a bit confused as to what season we are in, or perhaps looking for somewhere to hibernate - your home. I recall seeing a wasp in late November some years ago, and my mother recalls seeing one in January.

A few years ago in my old house we had a group of ladybirds that started hibernating inside right by the back door. They stayed there for some time before eventually moving on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter spring autumn

Just given in and put mine on...now I'm too warm, might have cracked open a window to get a breeze in.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Sat in the lounge with the woodstove going , nice and comfortable.   Managed to pick up some lengths of Ash and Sycamore on the way home from work yesterday , another 50 or so logs to the stack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Finally given in, temperature had dropped to 13C in the house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Finally given in, temperature had dropped to 13C in the house.

Brrrrr! I admire your dedication for not giving in for so long! I put mine on in late September!

• Like 1

Posted

It was on even more here this evening. Despite the temperature being higher today than the last few days it was dull all day so the house was rather cold 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Brrrrr! I admire your dedication for not giving in for so long! I put mine on in late September!

To be fair, it has only recently tanked. It was high teens until the last few days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Did a test run on Friday for an hour to check it's in working order but in all am still holding off. This is when we can truly save on the bills if the weather stays mild this month and hopefully with a mild March where heating wont be required with temps in the mid to high teens.

I don't quite know the maths of usage and outdoor temperature. Take a 10 day period where it's 'average' in Winter where most days are mid to high single digits with maybe one or two frosts. Compare that to a 10 day cold spell where temps hover around freezing by day with hard frosts each night. How much more would one have to spend to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature? I suppose a lot of it comes down to how quickly a building loses heat where cold weather increases the rate of heat loss. I wasn't responsible for heating and bills back in 2010!

There's a part of me that thinks, once it's on it's on where I hope it'll either be super mild or snowy cold. I don't want a cold autumn, average winter then cold spring which would result in mid single digits for months on end where heating would have to go on anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

To be honest not even close to having heating on of any kind, still in t shirt and shorts so be a bit pointless really!

Posted
18 hours ago, Nick L said:

To be fair, it has only recently tanked. It was high teens until the last few days!

Similar to here (but not quite as cold!), its been manageable but the last few days where its been raining with suppressed maxes led to temperatures dropping 24/7 rather than the warming/cooling cycle we had in the last few weeks.

Even then, the heating is only going on for short bursts. Once it actually gets properly cold though I think I will fully give in with regards to the heating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Log burner on, cottage nice n toasty 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2