Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have you turned your heating on yet?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

14 days since we moved in to the new house and still not even close to turning the heating on.. the has stayed at a constant 21c.. we have had windows open at night as its been so warm... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Gave in last night. This horrible mild, damp mush is leading to damp issues in the house. Would love a crisp cold spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Our central heating will only go on for an hour  when we get up , and that's it . We'll just be using the Wood burner at other times.  I'll work it into those robbing b..,,,ds  every way that I can.    At least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he turned people over.😠

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Have had my heating on for only 4 hrs so far this autumn.  With more in the way of normal November temperatures taking hold will have to give in and put it  on more.  Not bad though reaching mid Nov and not having to use it much up to this point. 

• Like 5

Posted

Electric heater on during day, too cold without it when working for many hours. Ive had little heating on at night, but have it on tonight as the mornings are rather chilly and the outlook is quite cold for here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sunny days!

Still not turned my heating on.  It's a bit chilly, but once you put a throw over yourself it's fine. It's not like I can see my breath in the air, I would give in then...... 😁

Edited by trickybirdy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Last week or so nights have been getting chilly down to low single figures so heating is on for a good half of the day in recent weeks now.

Electric radiator has been put on 3 times last week during few hours at night to keep the warmth.

On 15/11/2022 at 12:35, Nick L said:

Gave in last night. This horrible mild, damp mush is leading to damp issues in the house. Would love a crisp cold spell.

Indeed! Even though i would prefer milder temperatures in winter to reduce energy costs, the big issue that arises is how humid it becomes, sometimes approaching or even touching 70% humidity downstairs. A de-humidfier can help with the issue though.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I've finally given in, with the drop in temperature and mould starting to show itself in the outhouse. I was adamant we were going to make it to December. Close, but no cigar.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I live very remote with no mains gas supply just oil central heating and 2 open fires 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs , I only burn wood logs etc. There's a wooded area near me about 1 mile away,  I go there with a chainsaw and chop up fallen trees and branches and load my trailer with wood.

I also go out after high winds looking for fallen trees or branches,  most years I heat my home for free, just the cost of a bit of petrol and time.

Next week I intend to fire up my oil central heating. And sit in front of my open fire with a few glasses of wine and a cigar or two.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 29/11/2022 at 18:33, sorepaw1 said:

I live very remote with no mains gas supply just oil central heating and 2 open fires 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs , I only burn wood logs etc. There's a wooded area near me about 1 mile away,  I go there with a chainsaw and chop up fallen trees and branches and load my trailer with wood.

I also go out after high winds looking for fallen trees or branches,  most years I heat my home for free, just the cost of a bit of petrol and time.

Next week I intend to fire up my oil central heating. And sit in front of my open fire with a few glasses of wine and a cigar or two.

Nothing like a bit of free heat.  Have chainsaw , will travel. 😁

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, 78/79 said:

Nothing like a bit of free heat.  Have chainsaw , will travel. 😁

Bring your chainsaw and a twin axle trailer sorted for winter.🙂

Posted
Just now, sorepaw1 said:

Bring your chainsaw and a twin axle trailer sorted for winter.🙂

Went out and about yesterday for a few hours, picked up a van load of Ash, Oak, Hazel, and Hawthorne.  All just lying around on the verge and in the hedges.

The oak had the bark hanging off of it, just needs to dry out  now it's been split. 🙂

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
On 29/11/2022 at 18:33, sorepaw1 said:

Much the same here with no gas and living very remote got an Aga range for cooking heating and hot water. We also have a fire in the living room and spend every summer collecting wood and chopping. It's so therapeutic and something I've grown up with having to do..

Aga range is on now 24/7 just ticking over, when it gets very cold I light the fire. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, 78/79 said:

Went out and about yesterday for a few hours, picked up a van load of Ash, Oak, Hazel, and Hawthorne.  All just lying around on the verge and in the hedges.

The oak had the bark hanging off of it, just needs to dry out  now it's been split. 🙂

You do right there's loads of wood lying around country areas around North Yorkshire.  It's the equivalent of collecting £10 notes in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Always best to chop it when it's wet, much easier. Or even better when frozen 😉

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Much the same here with no gas and living very remote got an Aga range for cooking heating and hot water. We also have a fire in the living room and spend every summer collecting wood and chopping. It's so therapeutic and something I've grown up with having to do..

Aga range is on now 24/7 just ticking over, when it gets very cold I light the fire. 

Yes that's the best way. Hawthorne seasoned burns lovely and hot and smells lovely too.

I know what you mean about chopping wood and it being therapeutic,  I'm the same. 

Then afterwards a glass of wine and a small cigar.

• Like 3

Posted

The dogs love it when range is on, I use it for everything even drying  cloths. With the  price of oil...

IMG_20221130_193003.thumb.jpg.13e114057adacf03acf0352b5274ec03.jpg

1 minute ago, sorepaw1 said:

Yes that's the best way. Hawthorne seasoned burns lovely and hot and smells lovely too.

I know what you mean about chopping wood and it being therapeutic,  I'm the same. 

Then afterwards a glass of wine and a small cigar.

Yes the smell also of fresh chopped wood is something els!

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Polar Maritime said:

The dogs love it when range is on, I use it for everything even drying  cloths. With the  price of oil...

IMG_20221130_193003.thumb.jpg.13e114057adacf03acf0352b5274ec03.jpg

Nice set up there looks very cosy. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, sorepaw1 said:

Nice set up there looks very cosy. 

It's the heart of the home, I use it for everything I can to save money. 

• Like 1

Posted

It's the heart of the home, I use it for everything I can to save money. 

I'm the same the price of oil is ridiculous. If I spend £10 on petrol driving around I'll get loads of wood , it's definitely worth it and the therapeutic effort. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, sorepaw1 said:

I'm the same the price of oil is ridiculous. If I spend £10 on petrol driving around I'll get loads of wood , it's definitely worth it and the therapeutic effort. 

We should be getting I think £200 now not £100 paid into our electric account because not on gas. So that should help. But no idea when this will happen

• Like 2

Posted

We should be getting I think £200 now not £100 paid into our electric account because not on gas. So that should help. But no idea when this will happen

To be honest I wasn't aware of that.

Is it a payment from the Government or the energy supplier. 

I'm going to bring more wood into the kitchen at the weekend. 

Ready for next week so I don't have to keep going in and out opening the door and letting heat out, with the Met Office now mentioning snow and cold. 

It's time to gear up.

Just put 4 winter tyres on my old Volvo XC70  AWD.

Posted
Just now, sorepaw1 said:

To be honest I wasn't aware of that.

Is it a payment from the Government or the energy supplier. 

I'm going to bring more wood into the kitchen at the weekend. 

Ready for next week so I don't have to keep going in and out opening the door and letting heat out, with the Met Office now mentioning snow and cold. 

It's time to gear up.

Just put 4 winter tyres on my old Volvo XC70  AWD.

Im not sure, I just know that since the budget they have upped it from £100 to £200. Yes winter tyres going on here to next week 👍

• Like 2

Posted

Finally got a log burner in September .Absolutely great 72f next to single glazed windows.Replaced  40 year old baxi fireplace.Loads of heat from less logs. Have an oil fired rayburn at other side of house.to heat water  Switched  off from mid May till late September use electric immersion heater for  hot water in summer. 

Arwen produced a lot of fallen branches this time last year round our fields Have 2 years chopped logs under cover

Dog thinks log burner is the best

20221130_194302.jpg

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Both radiators are on for a few hours, then we turn on off and have the other one on low during the night.

It’s too cold now to just sit in jumpers and fleeces, plus the damp takes hold if we don’t use the heating.

I don’t believe in cutting back, if it’s heating or eating, I’ll skip eating for a day. We do intermittent fasting anyway, so missing a day of food is something I can handle more than depriving myself of warmth.

• Thanks 1