Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - the final third of Autumn

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

Actually it’s going to go straight to an easterly without the northerly portion. Completely doolally for that timescale but you’ve got to love the pub run!

It is, and as I mentioned within 1 day we pull in proper cold uppers - if it happens of course!! 

5D6D0612-ABEA-458C-AB97-2DDC47DE6C58.png

• Like 7

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It does ?  For next week?? are you sure ??

Well going in that direction sorry!!infact looks even better than the ecm46 for next week!!everything going north west even quicker on gfs!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I think I preferred the 12z gfs tbh. Nothing wrong with the pub run bou it imo isn't as blocky to the northern Atlantic and west of greenland esp

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, swfc said:

I think I preferred the 12z gfs tbh. Nothing wrong with the pub run bou it imo isn't as blocky to the northern Atlantic and west of greenland esp

I think it’ll reload with heights pushing up to the West of Greenland - we shall see!! 
The Labrador LP isn’t able to move East which makes me think retrogression is about to happen!!

409BA40F-15C1-4165-8595-AA6F226F16B1.png
The 12z was epic though 

8101D35C-D98F-4713-8E31-3D39545AF862.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, swfc said:

I think I rate the earlier part of any run over the later stages, the early part is what makes the 18z spectacular.  Where we go from there is massively uncertain and open to questions, but if that block takes hold, then, wow!  I think it will be this time tomorrow before we know if this is a goer or not, so don’t worry if the 0z pours warm water on it!

• Like 6

Posted
On 08/11/2021 at 22:43, Mike Poole said:

I think I rate the earlier part of any run over the later stages, the early part is what makes the 18z spectacular.  Where we go from there is massively uncertain and open to questions, but if that block takes hold, then, wow!  I think it will be this time tomorrow before we know if this is a goer or not, so don’t worry if the 0z pours warm water on it!

I'd agree Mike. It's earlier so it should be more accurate. The 18z to me looks like it's going for a high over UK. The 12z was better to the nnw. All irrelivent I guess but we have been laudering charts at 300 hrs

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The pub run's good, but not as good as earlier runs. Still decidedly cold, though. So anything can happen. A drop of the 'white stuff' is clearly a possibility?

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Night all!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Its quite amazing to see the vortex progged to be so far east on this run....

image.thumb.png.2654176f91fd741c03866f2acb3d92e6.png

Edited by minus10
  • Like 4

Posted

Epic cold being reloaded but not sure if we’d tap into it with the LP anchored over us, move it 500 miles NW then it would. JFF this late on in the run!!

9790B0D0-0481-43BA-B0B7-2E2967AA9479.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
Just now, minus10 said:

Its quite amazing to see the vortex progged to be so far east....

image.thumb.png.2654176f91fd741c03866f2acb3d92e6.png

As I alluded to earlier, I think that the best way to make sense of the current patterns going into winter, is to assume that a SSW has already happened.  

It is interesting watching the models sometimes, in that you have an instinct that a certain thing might happen, and then watch it happen in the models - for me, we are there now…watching it unfold…maybe…GFS leading the pack re heights into Greenland.  Fascinating times!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
On 08/11/2021 at 22:54, Ali1977 said:

Epic cold being reloaded but not sure if we’d tap into it with the LP anchored over us, move it 500 miles NW then it would. JFF this late on in the run!!

9790B0D0-0481-43BA-B0B7-2E2967AA9479.jpeg

Low pressure over us Ali??? 

Posted
Just now, swfc said:

Low pressure over us Ali??? 

HP sorry - getting a little too excited

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Wow that really got the Netweather servers going! Great content as ever and very informative explanations

So it seems the first cold chase of the winter is on! Obviously there's a long way to go and reality is always watered down. However, we must not forget it's only early November (mad eh?) and 10 times better than having a raging Atlantic and Euro High since getting out of such setup is like being promoted from the championship, I.e. very difficult!

I'll go to bed though mentally prepped to see that in tomorrow's outputs mind!

All the best

• Like 6

Posted

For what it's worth I think one of the key factors is keeping the pressure high to the nnw and off the esb. The PV is then dragged screaming into the north and east of Europe. The insipid lower Heighths crept in on the 18z gfs and it flattened the run. The fact the PV is not showing its hand atm is a bonus and long may it do so. Decent outlook and the projected forecasts going to ends month nay bad, all caveats etc. Can't complain for november and there's no sign of uncle bartlett

Edited by swfc
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Hi all

i am a bit hesitant on this northerly plunge happening viewing the latest 18z op run from the gfs and now the control is going the same way,...clearly the op and control where cold outliers on the 12z plus the ECM was a bit meh

the anomalies show this with a glancing blow just missing the UK with most of the plunge going into Scandi but it will still be a lot cooler of late but i think it will be dryer too,winds WNW at first then NW in the ext

610day_03.thumb.gif.9fba972433da84e2cb52825e251ed89f.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.3925a6e7fc75e9de92859e113b321747.gif

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.thumb.png.47b3e6d832d13c2d57f2011c02780dbe.pngecmwf-ens_mslpa_nhem_11.thumb.png.fefcff49fe294d92bf51521b439b5fd9.pngecmwf-ens_T850a_nhem_11.thumb.png.7d2a08a6f872d2b8920072c24cd48e89.png

The MLO also is not amplified enough to get that holy grail of a ridge into Greenland...

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.thumb.gif.b1a8a001b2aa61fe5c9e5ff3132de5e5.gifEMON_phase_51m_small.thumb.gif.28488db9b59c45ab53cd20deea39a49e.gif

still early days yet but at least mainland Europe will be cooling down

P.S,lets hope for a swing in the colder direction in days to come but i just cannot see it at the moment,...sorry.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
On 08/11/2021 at 23:28, Allseasons-si said:

Hi all

i am a bit hesitant on this northerly plunge happening viewing the latest 18z op run from the gfs and now the control is going the same way,...clearly the op and control where cold outliers on the 12z plus the ECM was a bit meh

the anomalies show this with a glancing blow just missing the UK with most of the plunge going into Scandi but it will still be a lot cooler of late but i think it will be dryer too,winds WNW at first then NW in the ext

610day_03.thumb.gif.9fba972433da84e2cb52825e251ed89f.gif814day_03.thumb.gif.3925a6e7fc75e9de92859e113b321747.gif

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.thumb.png.47b3e6d832d13c2d57f2011c02780dbe.pngecmwf-ens_mslpa_nhem_11.thumb.png.fefcff49fe294d92bf51521b439b5fd9.pngecmwf-ens_T850a_nhem_11.thumb.png.7d2a08a6f872d2b8920072c24cd48e89.png

The MLO also is not amplified enough to get that holy grail of a ridge into Greenland...

diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.thumb.gif.b1a8a001b2aa61fe5c9e5ff3132de5e5.gifEMON_phase_51m_small.thumb.gif.28488db9b59c45ab53cd20deea39a49e.gif

still early days yet but at least mainland Europe will be cooling down

P.S,lets hope for a swing in the colder direction in days to come but i just cannot see it at the moment,...sorry.

I agree - Tweeted a couple of days ago that the GFS is likely over-amplifying in response to the emerging MJO signal, the ensembles being lower resolution are likely less impacted by that, hence the Det run being consistently a cold outlier or at best one of the coldest members. 

Great looking charts in FI but that's all it is at the moment, little evidence to suggest anything out of the ordinary is on it's way.  Cooler yes, perhaps frosty and slightly below average, but i'd be surprised to see the depth of cold some det runs are suggesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
18 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Early Christmas present from the GFS op this morning- 

image.thumb.png.c527b066bd2a2688f66eeb3e6a5de76e.png

Very cold and snowy run into FI

Interesting to see that the GFS is also going for a proper cold blast across Canada and much of the US at the same time. After a mild autumn perhaps a bitter taste of winter setting in... "more runs needed"!