Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - the final third of Autumn

Posted

Evening all,charts lost the wintery theme tonight but in reality 5 6 days is the absolute max for any reliability 

at present.Pressure looks to be high is perhaps the only thing to have some reliability on,northern blocking 

at present showing to the northeast and then drifting east.My take cooler/ colder temperatures next week

with some cold nights in places where skies stay clear,certainly nothing to be depressed about for cold lovers.

Lots going on with the charts that are likely to change very quickly due to lots of uncertainty.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

One very small crumb is that the GFS 12z op run was at the top of the ensemble suite - from Day 10 onwards

image.thumb.png.ce3eb516d5bdcf7c117b070eaf413961.png

But a lot of the very cold runs have disappeared too

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Looking at the Gfs 12z operational, the rest of this week is looking pretty mild…however, the daily mirror says we will be blasted by snow and cold this week with temperatures plunging to as low as 0c!

0FE37DDF-B981-49CF-88C2-831C5673B865.thumb.png.936504a8806edb61cb0047daec95a3d9.png983C36AF-80B1-4421-A8FF-1975DA165FD6.thumb.png.ecde44f13117a9c1b52a55ce367542c1.png1690A8C1-83A9-4ABA-B2C1-0C2DA28F49AE.thumb.png.7abc9ca42d6366c38f84ebfdf0dbf2b2.pngC38BFB58-50D3-4860-9CAB-0A4A60775695.thumb.png.12fbeabb109cdf9bd30ab22c5842a2fc.png 

• Like 7

Evening peeps

hope everyone is well

I think I have got a headache now after catching up with all the posts today and to end the day on a dismal note. Alas we have been through this do many times. This is seriously like the Bermuda Triangle in here today Fantasy charts that have suddenly mysteriously disappeared.

No matter how downbeat we get at the end of the day there is nothing we can do unfortunately, we can’t unplug the models or reboot them.  

The strangest laughable thing is that those of you who read my post on Saturday I did refer to the Met office changing their extended outlook and taking out the Northerly and Northwesterly wind element out of their forecast . Now they have changed their extended outlook again and bright back northerly winds and wintry weather and the models don’t want to know.

Wednesday 24 Nov -Wednesday 8 Dec

Towards the end of November and into early December there are signs of an increased likelihood of north to northwesterly winds. This means that overall temperatures are likely to be near or slightly below average, although some milder spells cannot be ruled out. In such patterns the most unsettled, wetter and windier conditions are often found across northern areas, while the most settled, driest and brightest conditions are predominantly across the south. There is a slightly higher than normal chance of some wintry conditions, especially across the north.

Updated: 15:00 (UTC) on Tue 9 Nov 2021

The only piece of comfort is that it’s only 10 days into November, we have got a long way to go for models to change again. Let’s see where we are tomorrow.

Have a  great evening all 

regards

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Whilst it’s just two ensembles currently, this is the first part of a pattern I mentioned in my post yesterday with low pressure through UK and being far enough south that an easterly is brought in animmvi8.gifanimihu6.gif we can see if it’s picked up more in upcoming runs

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

About as grim as it gets for wintry weather- conveyor belt of mid lat HP

image.thumb.png.9988f2ec1a9212ffb748882cc4736b77.png

On the plus side, I'm not perturbed by this synoptic showing up now...very rarely will we see this type of pattern last Nov through to March. Just the same as wintry conditions in November have often preceded a mild winter (think '88/'89).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
20 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Hey folks this chart below is from November 1981. Looks familiar ? Yes, November that year was high pressure dominated , especially for the south of the UK with sporadic incursions' of Arctic air mass into the far north but was predominantly dry and mild.  I remember well at my time working at Gatwick Airport that period and the Met Office super computer at Bracknell provided charts out to 5 /7 day range . Wow, you may think, but at the time that was something to behold ! Never in a million years would you expect what was to come  in early December 1981 and last until mid- January 1982. A cold wave developed over the UK  and produced one of the coldest  and snowiest Decembers on record with some record low temps.  In the the words of the great Sam Cooke song , " a change is a coming " but sometimes you can never tell when !

C

CFSR_1_1981110918_1.png

Excellent analysis Carinthian.

That Nov 9th 1981Chart in no way suggests what was to come for the following December. 

The same as today's Nov 9th chart and the op running forward from in no way suggests  what the coming December might deliver.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Not much to get excited about in the ECM ens graph:

image.thumb.png.9c163666f4767204a5e045afdb30c1c1.png

Op was an outlier right at the end but no sign of anything much

I speculated, earlier today, whether the GFS picked up on the right signal but just modelled it far too early. A couple of others (northwest snow included) also commented that the cold might not be cancelled, just delayed. I wonder if that's what will transpire. We've seen it before on the models pretty regularly. A pattern changed predicted, dropped, then brought back again at a later timeframe and ending up verifying. The Met Office might be wrong with their latest 30-dayer but they're obviously seeing something. We shall see

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 12z mean is looking pretty benign with high pressure generally the dominant feature…unless I’m reading it wrong..? 

10D02FA3-19C1-49CC-B8F6-D4364B02738D.thumb.png.771914c00d5bdae0f0fd548a6ed23a12.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

I know that the last 24 hours has shown us that looking ahead more than a few days can have its ups and downs, but I just wanted to show a couple of today’s 12z operational charts for day 11 (yes, we never learn) that show how finely balanced it all can be. 

On the left, the highly uncelebrated GFS 12z op for 264h - shallow Aleutian low (1005mb), fairly flat into Western Canada, broad trough down into the Great Lakes, out through Newfoundland, low to the south of Greenland, UK and Ireland basking under what might in the event be a rather pleasant high. Yes, chin up, GFS, that’s not so bad really.

2C20C4D0-B037-474C-82AE-A24CF08FA265.thumb.png.82f697eadaecdeadbb2e1f181f9fa2c5.png 3DE4D113-0B8F-42FA-9EDF-A139E9C48C10.thumb.gif.53117811baea5f0ae3d77e7e980e3f5b.gif

On the right, in a sign of the times this evening (any port in a storm) the JMA 12z op for 264h - slightly deeper Aleutian low (995mb), sharper ridge up into Western Canada, less broad trough doesn’t make it to the lakes or out to Newfoundland, high building to the south of Greenland, UK and Ireland looking set for something unsettled and chilly from the northwest and another taste of that NW-SE aligned jet stream across the Atlantic that we’ve been tracking on and off for the last few weeks.

The early winter cold spell is dead.  Long live the early winter cold spell ! 

• Like 4

Posted
46 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Aye, back in those days we never had model charts out to 15 days and beyond. The Met Office had a Long Range Forecast team that produced a monthly forecast and from what I can remember was probably better produced/ documented than whats on offer today. Even today with advanced super powerful computers at hand, many charts post 10 days hardly verify, however, back in the Bracknell days when Dr Mason was in charge of the Met Office , the advent of the super computer produced some amazing results in the shorter time span out to 3 and 5 days. I am sure the accuracy success has not greatly advanced as quickly in the medium to long term forecasts. 

c

I find the 10 day Met Office forecasts on Youtube to be fairly accurate these days. Usually, uploaded on a Wednesday and they show the probabilities of high/low pressure at day 10 and also temperature trends. Its the best forecast available in the UK  

• Like 3

Posted

It's been a rollercoaster ride with the models last 24 hours, GFS going up and down at turbo speed it seems, with highs and lows swapping places - putting credence in the statement often used, stick to the reliable 120 hrs usually, sometimes 144hrs, often though 96 hrs, and you will save yourself alot of frustration. Try it and you might feel a whole lot better..

I would not at all be surprised to see future GFS runs bring back a screaming northerly again at the 300hr mark or whatever.

Its trends and watching short term developments that can give you clues for longer term prospects. Right now we have an interesting evolution, a low pressure breaking off from the main trough riding over the UK with heights building in behind by the weekend and anchored to scandi - this is not a normal pattern, and indicative of the rather abnormal base state we are in right now, with a very weak atlantic - but at the same time rather slow moving pattern.

• Like 1

Posted

As others have said, a few bad runs today mean very little when we're looking at charts past 5-6 days. Why make conclusions on 8-9 day charts, over the promising 9-11 days charts the past 2 days? Both sets are not even in the semi reliable so still all to play for. Seems obvious, but small alterations in the many things I don't understand can flip the current scenario very easily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM 12z clusters, first T192-T240:

4396D9DD-1742-4030-93F0-0180CCFFCEB1.thumb.png.860f4b3ddcae0fa9a357625427a9da7d.png

Nothing really into Greenland, but cluster 4 has a massive Scandi block.  I’m actually sceptical of all of that, but before commenting, here on to T264+

AF455D63-91BE-48F0-9E16-D72092463E97.thumb.png.12a428372d103ee21c920454969f4c22.png

Now we get the massive Greenland block (cluster 4) and something not dissimilar (cluster 5).  No euro heights apart from cluster 1.  

So it is still there…breathe…and as I have said before, ridging into Greenland is a difficult scenario for the models, and the GFS is best at it…that doesn’t mean the lower resolution GEFS, by the way.  I mean the GFS op run, if it doesn’t show a Greenland high within the next 8 runs, it is probably a bust, if it does, very much game on…we will see…

• Like 7

Posted

November 1978 was a very mild one, look at these synoptics! Who knew at the time one of the coldest winters of the 20th century was about to commence. This is why I'm not all too worried of todays sudden changes.  There's enough time for things to change

image.thumb.png.c00d64c48af0632498afabb9f293a52b.png   image.thumb.png.eda3073d9860dc8ba9ceaa83a1901c73.png

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, Frigid said:

November 1978 was a very mild one, look at these synoptics! Who knew at the time one of the coldest winters of the 20th century was about to commence. This is why I'm not all too worried of todays sudden changes.  There's enough time for things to change

image.thumb.png.c00d64c48af0632498afabb9f293a52b.png   image.thumb.png.eda3073d9860dc8ba9ceaa83a1901c73.png

November 2009 another great example, one of the mildest and wettest on records, long fetch south westerlies, look what happened in December. Not saying we will see a 2009/2010, just worth noting how what may seem entrenched spells can suddenly flip.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

getting into real synoptic conflict/confuse territory now, the La Niña consequence now filtering through the upper middle latitudes, and conflicting model signals will begin exactly what is being perceived!.   The only way until late November - to gage imo will be through overall consensus , through 24 hr suites.. it’s just pick 1 and go with it.. then 24 hrs later compare. Then run through the same sequence on all other available avenues @other mods and there supporting.. mid month should open that door wide.. and the 11th is global review/- probable impact day/discussion.. for the winter ahead.. hold tight .. this could be our year..@the axe falling on the correct tree,?!??... 

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 8