Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

…. Temp now 1.8C.   Talk about yo-yo weather…,

Edited by Wingman Blue
Spellcheck!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Very squally winds outside atm and cat & dogs as well

Posted
3 hours ago, high ground birmingham said:

To my eye, there looks like a potential snow event on Thursday night/Friday as that low dives and interacts with that cold air to the east. Of course it is subject to change

I can't trust a lot with regards marginal snow events at the moment, except that within 72 hours of the event itself on the whole expect downgrades. There could be a few surprises if its very marginal but on the whole expect snow reserved for 250m plus. The model output seems so volatile, but the only consistent thing that remains in a strong jet and a mobile pattern for the foreseeable. Rubbish winter weather in my opinion but it is what it is.

Posted

Really? Even in this ‘mild’ spell we were promised, temperatures remain consistently low.  Ground temperature won’t rise until mid-February, if then.

Last year this locality didn’t have a lot of snow due to the splitting effect of the Edgehill ridge but a few miles to either side had good falls.

One thing we have seen so far is that the last couple of months have been both different to and less predictable than most of the last twenty or thirty years.

Even the experts are flailing around for trends.  I think we can expect the unexpected.

Posted

The fact you lot are sorting your is great I can’t, as I’ve had instructions that I’m not allowed to put up the Christmas decorations ( via the wife ) as my eldest daughter is coming home from university on the 14th December and she’s always and loves doing getting involved with the family... bless her

Anyway to be honest and truly I don’t mind as I’m old score 12 days of Christmas is me

• Like 1

Posted

Regarding temps it’s Looking fairly cold ( below the average ) for this forthcoming week.....and into the following week, it’s forecasted to be milder, but we’ll see but for now as always it’s eyes on the big day....Christmas Day....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow ??

image.thumb.gif.f0662e5a01acc76d13e675f5cbb4bd60.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Booster Jab was me today, I’m rock now and ready for life plus Christmas with my family... I enjoy the weather ❄️ as we all do especially with my new weather Pro station but nothing more than spending good happy times with my closest

I’d love more than most when them times are upon  us it’ll be snowing please Santa  

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Great for you DWW..

Temp here just dropped to 0.0C at midnight in the clearer weather.

Rain set in about 10 minutes ago now here.

Current temp 3.5C.

MIA

Posted

Morning All.  Temp briefly dropped to freezing at midnight, woke up to faint drizzle.

Now 2.6C and sleety rain. With ground temperatures so low even Atlantic westerlies aren’t warming the air. This is more like an old-fashioned winter so far, with the nights still drawing in and warmth still ebbing away.

Any meaningful snowfall may well linger…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
16 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Great for you DWW..

Temp here just dropped to 0.0C at midnight in the clearer weather.

Rain set in about 10 minutes ago now here.

Current temp 3.5C.

MIA

Not expecting anything really, but bits of ice now splattering down on the conservatory roof in the heavier bursts of rain.

The temp now down to 3.1C.

MIA  

Posted

Turned to sleet as a heavier burst moved through. Some large wet snowflakes mixed in very briefly.

A vile morning overall though.

• Like 1

Posted

Roll on something anticyclonic! This is absolutely naff

Wingman Blue, i know what youre saying with regards expecting surprises, but in this train of zonality from the atlantic very little will stick im afraid. We need a change in pattern and some reprieve in the strong jet we're currently getting at the moment. Those charts are pretty ugly if you like snow, with a train of low pressures over iceland and a solid block to our south that will take some shifting

Posted

Any snow in the highest parts of the Peak District? Automated forecast for Buxton is showing snow and tomorrow's warning is for snow above 200 metres. Some parts of Stoke-on-Trent are that high up so might see something.

@Staffmoorlands answers my question before I've asked it 

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted

Understand STB, but it may be dross atm, but it’s mid-morning in early December. Even south westerlies aren’t going to warm the earth, and in fact rain at 3 degrees will chill the earth still further.

Give it another fortnight of this and even sou-westerlies may accumulate decent snow cover, and then if we get northerlies or easterlies we’ll get ice fields that subsequent precipitation blowing over will produce more snow.

What the models may have produced on the ground in years past may not be the case this winter.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Heavy snow here at my location currently with a thin covering already.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Rain and probably more cold rain today here on the East/West mids border.   Don't want too many days of this...

Posted
2 minutes ago, B-C said:

Rain and probably more cold rain today here on the East/West mids border.   Don't want too many days of this...

Even the winter of 62-63 had a mid-December like this! December 78 was similar until the 22nd.