Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Heavy snow here at the moment with the temperature at 0.2c.  Just under 2cm lying.

• Like 3

Posted
On 06/12/2021 at 11:06, Wingman Blue said:

Understand STB, but it may be dross atm, but it’s mid-morning in early December. Even south westerlies aren’t going to warm the earth, and in fact rain at 3 degrees will chill the earth still further.

Give it another fortnight of this and even sou-westerlies may accumulate decent snow cover, and then if we get northerlies or easterlies we’ll get ice fields that subsequent precipitation blowing over will produce more snow.

What the models may have produced on the ground in years past may not be the case this winter.

This relatively cool/cold pattern should also cool the anomalously warm SSTs around the UK, which may beneficial for less moderation of any imported cold air mass later in winter.

Posted
31 minutes ago, Wingman Blue said:

Understand STB, but it may be dross atm, but it’s mid-morning in early December. Even south westerlies aren’t going to warm the earth, and in fact rain at 3 degrees will chill the earth still further.

Give it another fortnight of this and even sou-westerlies may accumulate decent snow cover, and then if we get northerlies or easterlies we’ll get ice fields that subsequent precipitation blowing over will produce more snow.

What the models may have produced on the ground in years past may not be the case this winter.

Of course, it's still early december, a lot of winter yet to play for, all im saying is it may take a couple of weeks to see a monumental shift in pressure patterns in the north atlantic and continent from where we are, as its about as raging positive NAO as it can be. No way SWesterlies will produce any decent snow cover away from the highest ground in the west mids. A W/NW may well do but not SW wind, far too much tropical air mixed in. 

Glad to hear a few snow reports coming in for those fortunate enough to live in the peaks! Very much icy rain here and dark/windy. Was hoping to get out on my bike later but i'll be waiting a while. 

Edited by shunthebartlett92

Posted

Turned to sleet/very wet snow at my work in Shelton, Stoke-on-Trent. This is one of the lowest lying, most urbanised parts of Stoke. Always less snow here than the rest of Stoke-on-Trent, including at my home in Longton.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted

Good call Dave!  

Understand your frustration, STB, guess you’re just unlucky to be sandwiched between the Severn Valley and the built-up metropolis to your east.

I was delivering spuds right across the West Midlands during the winter of 85-86 and your neck of the woods was always the warmest.

But if there is a nationwide dump you’ll get more than a shovelful!

Posted
26 minutes ago, Wingman Blue said:

Good call Dave!  

Understand your frustration, STB, guess you’re just unlucky to be sandwiched between the Severn Valley and the built-up metropolis to your east.

I was delivering spuds right across the West Midlands during the winter of 85-86 and your neck of the woods was always the warmest.

But if there is a nationwide dump you’ll get more than a shovelful!

It's not frustration, we do ok here (Although we never have the highest falls west of birmingham, there's always somewhere that will get more) we had several decent days of lying snow last winter which was absolutely brilliant. I went hiking during the snow days last winter up to the sheep walks and shropshire hills and it was superb. I think we fared better than Birmingham itself (less heat island effect though) but not the levels to the north of birmingham up towards stoke. Northwesterlies will always be my preference here as the battleground events either tend to sink too far south (M4 corridor of doom) or be too sleety around here as dewpoints are too high. But that said, last winter was superb for this area, one of the best i can remember save December 2010!

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

It's not frustration, we do ok here (Although we never have the highest falls west of birmingham, there's always somewhere that will get more) we had several decent days of lying snow last winter which was absolutely brilliant. I went hiking during the snow days last winter up to the sheep walks and shropshire hills and it was superb. I think we fared better than Birmingham itself (less heat island effect though) but not the levels to the north of birmingham up towards stoke. Northwesterlies will always be my preference here as the battleground events either tend to sink too far south (M4 corridor of doom) or be too sleety around here as dewpoints are too high. But that said, last winter was superb for this area, one of the best i can remember save December 2010!

Really?  My experience is that best of snowfall always favours the west midlands. Mainly due to many hilly areas I also find that 9 out of10 times sliders  battlegrounds are always a direct hit. Cheshire gap are also great  even easterlies deliver due to lack of height right across the eastern side and Europe 

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Really?  My experience is that best of snowfall always favours the west midlands. Mainly due to many hilly areas I also find that 9 out of 29 times sliders  battlegrounds are always a direct hit. Cheshire gap are also great  even easterlies deliver due to lack of height right across the eastern side and Europe 

It depends what youre comparing it to though. Youre also in a more elevated area than here giving you a slight advantage. I'm talking about almost directly west of birmingham city centre which Stourbridge is. On a southern UK level we have a chance with any wind direction (bar SW'lies) depending on the upper air temps. Easterlies can reach here without too much of a battle but you need a good level of convection and some minor troughs to keep the precipitation pepped up, but we've had some great snow days from easterlies that said.

Hmmm im not convinced on the sliders being direct hits, theyre notorious for getting corrected to the south closer to the events. They do sometimes strike the jackpot though.

Posted
1 minute ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

It depends what youre comparing it to though. Youre also in a more elevated area than here giving you a slight advantage. I'm talking about almost directly west of birmingham city centre which Stourbridge is. On a southern UK level we have a chance with any wind direction (bar SW'lies) depending on the upper air temps. Easterlies can reach here but you need a good level of convection and some minor troughs to keep the precipitation pepped up, but we've had some great snow days from easterlies that said.

Hmmm im not convinced on the sliders being direct hits, theyre notorious for getting corrected to the south closer to the events. They do sometimes strike the jackpot though.

I understand the altitude bit. To be honest it's very rarely a winter goes by without me seeing snow. Last winter was good as you say  many snow events  2012 was also decent. It's even snowed today  abeit  wet snow   

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

I understand the altitude bit. To be honest it's very rarely a winter goes by without me seeing snow. Last winter was good as you say  many snow events  2012 was also decent. It's even snowed today  abeit  wet snow   

Thats true! Although 2011 to 2019 didnt bring a great deal of joy bar the odd few days with a bit of snowfall. I'm reasonably confident there's been one or two winters here without a single flake falling.

Posted

Lovely big flakes in those videos  I think that's my favourite type of snow to watch! Smaller, powdery, dry snow gets blown off surfaces too easily (The downside to more extreme cold).

Posted
44 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Thats true! Although 2011 to 2019 didnt bring a great deal of joy bar the odd few days with a bit of snowfall. I'm reasonably confident there's been one or two winters here without a single flake falling.

I think you are forgetting January 2013, March 2013 and the 2017-18 winter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

6.5 cm of snow in under two hours during the late morning. A slow thaw since it stopped snowing with a current temp' of 1.6c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

We had sleet...exciting stuff. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, high ground birmingham said:

I think you are forgetting January 2013, March 2013 and the 2017-18 winter

Quite possibly. I’m not going to challenge you on this as I lived in Vancouver in 2017-18 so would be dangerous to contradict you  I just remember it being a fairly non descript decade for memorable cold spells, but like any given decade there’ll always be exceptions to the rule.

• Like 1