Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
19 hours ago, richie3846 said:

I spent the day out and about in West Oxfordshire (working). Brize Norton hit 14.5c, the sun was warm and clouds were few. What a fantastic start to February. I know there are many here looking for cold, but don't let that desire stop you from enjoying what we DO have. For many today it was like the first taste of spring. Not like the mild weather we had at New Year, under the gloomy cloud. This was warmth generated in part by the increasing strength of the sun.

I can't remember a day this spring-like so early in the month of February, mid February yes, but not the 1st. Not quite as warm tomorrow but still looks to be very pleasant round these parts. Bring it on, my favourite winter of the 9 years I've spent working outside (a lot of the time). Little rain,little wind, no snow, no real cold. Perfect for my needs! 

I'm trying to take this mentality forward for the summer. Whilst some of you get disappointed with lack of winter action, I get upset in summer when it's cloudy and not that warm, like last summer in the South. I don't want to feel like that,so I must remember this feeling I have today, the immense joy of the first real taste of spring, and not let my EXPECTATIONS ruin my enjoyment of the summer. 

I hear you, but I feel like I've been conned a little. If I have to suffer a dud summer like 2021, with lots of cloud, I want to at least be rewarded with a snowy spell in winter. Likewise, if winter is mild, I want a warm to hot summer. It doesn't happen like that every year, so like you say, take it as it comes.

I would like a sunny cloudless April to June period, if we are to suffer another poor summer, with some storms thrown in.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

1990 was just as mild in February and March was warm and sunny that year.

Maybe the Azores High moved north during the time of the Great Storm of 1987. Seems the westerly winds have become stronger since that time.

Much of the 71-76 winter months were Atlantic dominated indeed exclusively so... going further back the winters of the 1900 to 1939 period brought alot of mild Atlantic conditions. The 1940s to 1960s did see much less westerly influence.. and the 76-77 to 86-87 period as well. Agree since 87-88 Atlantic westerlies have won out but some significant variance still..our summers though continue to offer far more varied affair.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
23 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Interesting about 2020 as how wet I remember it being that winter I never remember it feeling that dull or grim - indeed a lot of mild, wet & stormy winters often end up being sunnier than average. I think this is due to the frontal rainfall often clearing to sunshine and showers. Winter 2014 is a good example. Only wet winter months with permanent SW winds often end up feeling really dull, like December 2015 or December 2018.

It's strange, I remember winter 2020 really being very grim. Perhaps due to here, south Hampshire, having a direct feed off the sea in the persistent SW winds (which we did seem to get here) so the rain amounts were higher and sunshine totals were particularly low here. I recall just two spells of decent sunshine in the whole winter, the very start of December and a few days perhaps just after mid-month in January.

While the lack of snow or 'real' cold has been disappointing this winter, it's much better than what we had two years ago. Much less rain and much less gloom. Indeed a day like today when it was bright, the brightest it's been for months (due to increased solar elevation, the difference compared to even mid-Jan is now noticeable) almost makes you start forgetting about snow and looking forward to spring. (That said I don't want it to be too mild for too many days just yet, in case the spring flowers start 'too' early - but as long as we avoid real, intense gloom and dampness, I won't be too unhappy whatever happens).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
54 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Much of the 71-76 winter months were Atlantic dominated indeed exclusively so... going further back the winters of the 1900 to 1939 period brought alot of mild Atlantic conditions. The 1940s to 1960s did see much less westerly influence.. and the 76-77 to 86-87 period as well. Agree since 87-88 Atlantic westerlies have won out but some significant variance still..our summers though continue to offer far more varied affair.

The heat is without doubt becoming more fierce though, even if short lived!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
2 hours ago, Snowmut said:

Valentines looks promising......

Picturing the scene, rug rolled out in front of a roaring log fire, Barry White LP playing in the background the wife sipping on some Blue Nun ,1985 vintage (only the best for my good lady)....And me with my nose pressed up against the window staring at the lamppost!

image.thumb.png.cf3495bda0c13caa3130825d9ee8086e.pngHappy Days!

image.png

That was me on 14th February 1979, my new girl Julie wanted a romantic evening but I had other ideas, I mean could she not see those -12c uppers incoming from Russia? It was a classic easterly that made the BFTE look timid. OK she dumped me afterwards and I never could understand why?  

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

That was me on 14th February 1979, my new girl Julie wanted a romantic evening but I had other ideas, I mean could she not see those -12c uppers incoming from Russia? It was a classic easterly that made the BFTE look timid. OK she dumped me afterwards and I never could understand why?  

Not much chance of that happening today though, aye?! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Higher chance of a 20 degrees, than a cold snowy spell! I'd say this Feb, April though. more chance of snow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Went out for a walk today and in some places the ground is cracked it's been so dry. I have never seen that in winter before. Something is very wrong with our climate.

• Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Went out for a walk today and in some places the ground is cracked it's been so dry. I have never seen that in winter before. Something is very wrong with our climate.

A notable feature I've commented on is how often lengthy dry periods are cut quickly by very wet ones.. the rain will come again!.. but yes we seem to be seeing more extremes in terms of excessively wet and exceptionally dry and less of something in the middle.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
29 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If it were spring, summer or early autumn, we probably wouldn't bat an eyelid. The unusual aspect is that it's early Feb and Oct-Dec, and to a degree Jan, are wet months on average.

Of course as we know, things even out and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a wet spring - either by an ongoing active jet stream that sinks south, or by a reversal of high vs low pressure that sees the UK in the firing line of low pressure.

By all accounts, it's been a great January for getting out on walks and doing shorter journeys on foot that might otherwise be done in the car!

Posted
6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

If it were spring, summer or early autumn, we probably wouldn't bat an eyelid. The unusual aspect is that it's early Feb and Oct-Dec, and to a degree Jan, are wet months on average.

Of course as we know, things even out and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a wet spring - either by an ongoing active jet stream that sinks south, or by a reversal of high vs low pressure that sees the UK in the firing line of low pressure.

By all accounts, it's been a great January for getting out on walks and doing shorter journeys on foot that might otherwise be done in the car!

Surprisingly on average February is one of our drier months and on occasion  the driest. We are entering the drier part of the year that lasts roughly until mid June.. easterlies and northerlies more likely which favours drier conditions in the NW. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Surprisingly on average February is one of our drier months and on occasion  the driest. We are entering the drier part of the year that lasts roughly until mid June.. easterlies and northerlies more likely which favours drier conditions in the NW. 

Yes indeed... what I mean is that cracked ground at the end of the wetter half of the year is unusual. 

Our drier season is a bit longer down here, often lasting until late August/September, faring better in the NW/SE or N/S splits that sometimes set up as the summer chugs on. 

My grandparents have spoken many times of great outdoorsy trips they did in the Lake District in Junes gone by and how reliably fantastic the weather was. One day I will finally visit your neck of the woods - looks beautiful, even on a wet misty day.

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Yes indeed... what I mean is that cracked ground at the end of the wetter half of the year is unusual. 

Our drier season is a bit longer down here, often lasting until late August/September, faring better in the NW/SE or N/S splits that sometimes set up as the summer chugs on. 

My grandparents have spoken many times of great outdoorsy trips they did in the Lake District in Junes gone by and how reliably fantastic the weather was. One day I will finally visit your neck of the woods - looks beautiful, even on a wet misty day.

Yes May and June best times to visit. Last May was a shocker though! April can be very good but sometimes quite cold - last year notably so. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

We did exactly the same walk pretty much exactly a year ago, and the same cracked ground was barely passable for the mud last year. Such a contrast. It's certainly much nicer.

• Like 2

Posted

One thing I have noticed this January is how filthy everyone’s car is, not sure if that’s to do with the lack of rain or people can’t be bothered cleaning them! 

• Like 2

Posted

What a rubbish,winter  having a strong polar vortex hasn't stopped cold spells developing before, haven't even seen one single flake even in this pathetic winter 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
22 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

What a rubbish,winter  having a strong polar vortex hasn't stopped cold spells developing before, haven't even seen one single flake even in this pathetic winter 

Unfortunately the world has changed, that high to our SW is stronger than it's ever been. It's a great feature for those in Eastern/SE Europe though, as it just let's the cold keep plunging down just as a Greenland high would for us.

It feels like we have to rely on SSW's going forward to obliterate that high to our SW and drag it out North, west etc. Without a SSW it just doesn't budge far enough away to let us drag down any proper cold nowadays. Not saying cold spells are impossible without a SSW, but the chances seem slimmer than ever. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

My only remaining hope for this winter is i hope it has some sort of sting in the tail. End of Feb seems to be  a time of year that is prone sometimes to delivering something.  

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer18 said:

One thing I have noticed this January is how filthy everyone’s car is, not sure if that’s to do with the lack of rain or people can’t be bothered cleaning them! 

Yes - mine included . I think it’s all of the above. The dampness on the roads from whatever just kicks up dirt then there’s nothing to wash it off. I cba to clean the car if the same is going to happen within a few days haha.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

People are still hunting for cold in the MOD thread, apparently it is looking good for the second half of February

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Unfortunately, completely snowless winters have become a lot more common over the last 15 years or so. We haven’t had a single flake in London so far this winter. We had a great run between 2008/09 and 2012/13, then a dire run of winters between 2013/14 and 2016/17, before something a bit better between 2017/18 and 2020/21, but this year has gone backwards again. 

Still, one positive is that it’s been very dry and quite sunny, unlike a winter such as 2013/14 which was snowless, mild and very wet & windy. Awful that year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
5 hours ago, Summer18 said:

So true, I think it's because it's been very dry so it's dust/sand I guess.  I had my car washed 5 days a go and you wouldn't think so to look at it now

1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

People are still hunting for cold in the MOD thread, apparently it is looking good for the second half of February

They can sod off, I'm ready for spring, warmth and sun especially with the higher energy bills coming  

• Like 2