Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

I went for a brief walk at lunch and there was still frost in the shade and some ice on the lake in the park I walked around, it felt freezing but was actually 10C. 

funny isnt it? i go walking every day..when we came out of our extreme cold spell ..i went from walking in -40c to -12c it felt like t-shirt weather..felt more like +12c

Edited by cheeky_monkey
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
3 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yeah true but I personally prefer a harsh mid winter will always be 60% more severe for the same airmass, I'd take snow at easter tho as a last resort.

Me too but that’s getting less and less likely so anything is a bonus

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

funny isnt it? i go walking every day..when we came out of our extreme cold spell ..i went from walking in -40c to -12c it felt like t-shirt weather..felt more like +12c

What would in feel like in blighty now for you?! 

Posted

Lovely blue sky weather today. Slightly chilly but not overly so this morning, no wind so pleasant in the sun at lunchtime, beautiful sunset. Will take this any day over fleeting cold spells alternating with damp mild spells.

Posted
1 hour ago, Don said:

Fancy booking a winter away during the December to remember!  At least you got back to enjoy the snow mind.  Was the snowfall you're talking about the 18th December or earlier in the month?

I know i'm totally gutted! I missed out on all the excitement and build up on here!! I literally knew nothing about it until it started falling out the sky as we turned off the M25 onto the M3 and I went ooh it's snowing bet it won't be at home. How wrong we were lol! I want to say it was around the 4th or something. It was early in the morning. Early in the month not morning!!

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I know i'm totally gutted! I missed out on all the excitement and build up on here!! I literally knew nothing about it until it started falling out the sky as we turned off the M25 onto the M3 and I went ooh it's snowing bet it won't be at home. How wrong we were lol! I want to say it was around the 4th or something. It was early in the morning.

That sounds correct as the south had snowfalls in the early days of the month and then on the 18th-20th.  There was a build up from mid November when the Metoffice 16-30 day forecast started to mention cold or very cold weather with snow late November into December and it turned exceptionally cold during the final week of November.  They were absolutely spot on!

Edited by Don

Posted
38 minutes ago, Georgina said:

There’s more chance of snow at Easter than Christmas still plenty of time

That’s only the case when Easter is in March and not mid-April

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

That sounds correct as the south had snowfalls in the early days of the month and then on the 18th-20th.  

I meant early in the month not morning lol. I don't remember the 18-20th event so couldn't have been much. But who can forget 7 inches eh!! Fnardy Fnar!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I meant early in the month not morning lol. I don't remember the 18-20th event so couldn't have been much. But who can forget 7 inches eh!! Fnardy Fnar!!

You could have been a bit too far south west on the 18th?  Still, 7 inches of snow early December is pretty good.  I think I had about 4 inches of snow on the 2nd and then about 6 or 7 on the 18th.  The north was the place to be though with the likes of Sheffield having something like 18 inches on the 1st of the month!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Global blanding reaches crisis proportions. 

Researchers say the weather weenie may become extinct by 2030 if the rate of global blanding is not reversed. 

A tax on something will probably work, but not sure what to tax yet, perhaps crisps. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
55 minutes ago, Don said:

What would in feel like in blighty now for you?! 

pretty chilly i would imagine..i often feel colder in the UK than i do in Canada in winter time because it's often damp and windy back home..same in summer the UK is much more humid than here so +30c feels much hotter than +30c in Alberta.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

pretty chilly i would imagine..i often feel colder in the UK than i do in Canada in winter time because it's often damp and windy back home..same in summer the UK is much more humid than here so +30c feels much hotter than +30c in Alberta.

That's the problem here in the summer for me when it gets hot i.e. over 30C, it's not so much the heat but the high humidity that goes with it!  I think I would definitely enjoy a winter holiday to Canada!  I don't think you would find it chilly here at the moment under high pressure and no wind!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Loved the last 3 days. Clear blue skies, sunshine all day, beautiful sunsets, warm feeling in the sun. As good as it gets for January for my preferences!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Staffmoorlands said:

That’s only the case when Easter is in March and not mid-April

Not strictly true, there has been some quite good falls of snow in April.

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Not strictly true, there has been some quite good falls of snow in April.

1981, 1986, 1989 and 1998 to name a few?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, Don said:

1981, 1986, 1989 and 1998 to name a few?

Plenty of time left ??

Posted

Appreciate some crave snow but to have at least 7-10 days of dry weather and at times sunny isn’t a bad alternative. Big tick in the box if wintry nirvana isn’t on offer.

With Jan now closed for anything other than a continuation of what we have currently we move to Feb. Thinking back to all those pre winter discussions on how so many key drivers were in play to our advantage…I do agree it’s a huge kick in the teeth to be talking about a final winter month with many hoping to see their first snowflake.

Personally I’m expecting an above average final winter month and then we can finally look to spring.

Until then get out there if you can and enjoy some fine mid winter weather…-almost spring like

• Like 1

Posted

I have been reading post after post that give the distinct impression that if you take 'chasing cold' out of the equation there is nowt interesting about meteorology/weather. Quite depressing and frankly very boring.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

I have been reading post after post that give the distinct impression that if you take 'chasing cold' out of the equation there is nowt interesting about meteorology/weather. Quite depressing and frankly very boring.

I don't think that's the implication at all, although granted at this time of year that's the type of weather most are perhaps looking for? Certainly not looking for a monsoon and storm force winds anyway...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The first day of anticyclonic gloom here. Been a lovely week of sunshine, but we're back to grey leaden skies once again. Hopefully this should shift again through the weekend.

Posted

If we cant get snow then frosty sunny weather will do better then relentless wind and rain being very benign so far lack of very stormy weather this winter which has being very welcome.  On an side note its now nearly 10 years since we had an significant cold spell in January very damning stat and worrying trend since then had odd covering of snow in Jan which has largerly melted same day. Still few weeks left yet for that to change looks highly unlikely. 

Let see what Feburary brings long way to go yet but if we dont get any snow in Feb this will be the third winter in last 10 years without falling or lying snow another unwanted stat and even for our low lying location very unsual if not expectional sign of the times i guess least we got lying snow in November at time i thought this will be probably more then we get in winter might be right  

Edited by Hessle Owl

Posted
23 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

We all need hope in our lives and from a weather point of view we've had a very tough few weeks. Do I sense though just a small ray this morning that maybe just maybe the models are toying with the idea of something much colder by month end. Worth noting the end of January is when the continent is likely at its coldest!! It isn't too late for a deep freeze, so let's keep hoping!!

Also worth remembering that there's been a clear trend the last decade for our deepest cold to come in February 

Not sure I agree with that.  In the last 11 years the Februarys of 2011, 2014, 2017, 2019 and 2020 were all very mild with a CET over 6*C.  In recent times the only colder than average Februarys were 2010, 2013 and 2018.  Yes in recent times February 2018 had cold weather on and off for most of the month, and Feb 2013 did.  On top of that Feb 2012 had a significant cold spell in the first half, and Feb 2015 possibly had a reasonably cold first part of it, and Feb 2021 had a week's cold spell in the second week, but apart from that in the last ten years (as the last 30 odd years have been), February has been more often than not mild.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Echoing a few others that the next best thing after snow is sunny and dry as far as January weather goes. Recent days, you really would struggle to find better weather for January, sunny and chilly but not too cold (if cold isn't your thing).

Starting to keep an eye on trends now for later in the month. Looking dry for the southeast for the most part but watching to see if that stubborn area of high pressure over us moves a little more to the north or northwest. This would allow low pressure to move into Southern Europe, and an easterly or northeasterly wind to move into E/SE England straight from Siberia. This sets us up into February. 

I'm also trying to see signs of mild, unsettled weather, but I don't know if that will reach the southeastern half of the UK at this stage, looks predominantly dry here with temperatures close to the average.

February is the month of interest for me, the seasonal forecasts have also indicated this as well. Just the details that are TBD.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow? Thunder
45 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Not sure I agree with that.  In the last 11 years the Februarys of 2011, 2014, 2017, 2019 and 2020 were all very mild with a CET over 6*C.  In recent times the only colder than average Februarys were 2010, 2013 and 2018.  Yes in recent times February 2018 had cold weather on and off for most of the month, and Feb 2013 did.  On top of that Feb 2012 had a significant cold spell in the first half, and Feb 2015 possibly had a reasonably cold first part of it, and Feb 2021 had a week's cold spell in the second week, but apart from that in the last ten years (as the last 30 odd years have been), February has been more often than not mild.

At this stage I think most of us would take a week or so of cold snowy weather in Feb even if the rest of the month was mild.......been a hard slog this winter..... keeping an eye though on height rises to our northeast which I still think might be the best chance for pattern to evolve to something Colder......seems a very slow moving pattern at present so perhaps if we can get blocking to amplify more favourably, we may see a more prolonged cold spell in due course....plenty of time yet for things to turn in our favour......

Edited by Summer Snow
  • Like 1