Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
Just now, SqueakheartLW said:

There's still time for that yet. Remember what happened in September 2019. Dry up to around the equinox then a total washout to end the month. Came out wetter than average despite the first 20 odd days of dry.

Yes there is a time, however no models are showing a spectacular change to cyclonicity  and thats the point. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

This Winter is turning rapidly into a shocker, not even a hint of anything remotely cold.  Just hope and pray no Summer heatwaves to come, that would be misery on misery!

• Like 6

Posted

This is fast becoming my least favourite winter in my lifetime, it's got so little going for it. We haven't had the amounts of sunshine some places have had though. Most days are just grey and dry, a little cold at times if we've been good boys and girls. No variety whatsoever. Then you look at the models and lose that last bit of hope you didn't even know you had. The jet stream pattern is killing us, we can't even get a direct northerly going! And even in fantasy island it can't seem to conjure up a route to cold, however implausible, which confirms beyond doubt that nothing remotely interesting is going to happen from this point.

Not something I thought I'd ever say, but bring on spring now. Model watching this year has been the most joyless of past-times.

• Like 6

Posted

Hoping we get snow when the kids break up feb around 12th for a week

Just cant see any sign of snow down here during January unfortunately 

Posted
27 minutes ago, markyo said:

This Winter is turning rapidly into a shocker, not even a hint of anything remotely cold.  Just hope and pray no Summer heatwaves to come, that would be misery on misery!

I must live in a parallel universe because so far this winter we've had snow falling and a good covering 3 times  plus several hard frosts, beautiful crisp winter sunshine and some chilly wrap up warm days. Nothing remotely extreme but that's a rarity in this country anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

The last snow event here was at the end of November, that came with a pretty hard frost too. Ever since then there's been hardly any frost and no snow at all. December is up the with one of the worst winter months I've experienced, but January has been better with cold nights regularly. Outlook is a lot better than Winter 2019/20, so it's not all doom and gloom. I'm sure something will crop up in February, hopefully something wintry and not a 2019

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
9 minutes ago, Mariescb said:

I must live in a parallel universe because so far this winter we've had snow falling and a good covering 3 times  plus several hard frosts, beautiful crisp winter sunshine and some chilly wrap up warm days. Nothing remotely extreme but that's a rarity in this country anyway.

Very much about location and Altitude Mariescb. For those down south on low ground their universe has been very different..

• Like 2

Posted

Up to 59 hours this month now. The 1991-2020 average for the entire month is 61 hours, so we'll beat that tomorrow already with almost a fortnight to go.

The sunniest January here was 2015 with 91 hours (followed closely by 2012 with 89 hours). I think this has a decent chance of being beaten as the next 5-7 days look predominately sunny. Indeed, I would say 100 hours isn't out of the question, a figure which ironically would beat July 2020 here (97hrs).

This month could be the January equivalent of July 2006 / May 2020 / April 2021 if this continues.

Posted
55 minutes ago, markyo said:

Mmm not sure what you describe as cold. We have relatively cold conditions now, frost sub freezing nights. Maxima hardly mild. I take it you mean, mean values of 0 degrees or less. We are not in an endless mild Atlantic flow so it is quite seasonal.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Can't fault the Weather at the mo, if we can't have snow then cold clear frosty nights followed by bright sunny dry days will suffice better than endless grey clag!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
3 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Can't fault the Weather at the mo, if we can't have snow then cold clear frosty nights followed by bright sunny dry days will suffice better than endless grey clag!

I much prefer it like this to the mild wet and windy weather off Atlantic. 

Crisp cold and sunny in winter is next best to heavy snowfall for me. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

If you aren't too fussed about snow, then the first half of winter hasn't been all that bad in my neck of the woods. Temperatures during December were somewhat varied - a couple of mild spells but a couple of coldish spells too. January so far (apart from the first couple of days) has seen mostly around average temps with a fair few number of frosts, and sunshine levels haven't been too bad particularly over the last few days.

Obviously a couple of decent snowfalls would be nice along with a good storm or two, but I would be happy enough if the current weather conditions (sunny and cold with clear frosty nights) were to continue throughout the rest of the winter.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
2 minutes ago, Bradowl said:

Its grand like this, got first part of my drive concreted on Saturday, cold day but didn't feel it whilst grafting, if it ain't gonna snow this will do nicely,

Posted
31 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Very much about location and Altitude Mariescb. For those down south on low ground their universe has been very different..

Oh yes absolutely but the guy I quoted is from my neck of the woods or so his tag says lol. Is your universe ever that different on the south coast in winter tho, I have family in Bournemouth and they rarely get much severe winter weather.

Posted

Just checked my weather station stats. Since the ridiculous warm start at end of December early January we have had a some cracking frosty starts and some cool day with sunshine after the December gloom. I am quite enjoying it to be honest

to put things into perspective here are the number of days I've recorded with minimums below 0c ( have missed out 2021 ,2016, 2021 as lost some data)

So far this month 11 days which compares really well already since 2010 with totals as follows :-

2010 -19

2011 - 7

2012 - 11

2013 - 15

2014 - 4

2015 - 11

2017 - 16

2018 - 2

2019 - 15

2020 - 4

I'm confident we might end up with a record beating 2010 so best January for frosts since at least 2010!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

After such a promising start this may turn out to be one of the most boring Winters on record.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
3 hours ago, Bradowl said:

That's great guys but we have had 1 air frost and approx 14 hours sun whole month,  been mild as well 

Posted

We've been fortunate here in West Yorkshire. Really enjoying this extended dry period with multiple frost and fog at times. One or two cloudy days but more sun than not.

If we can't have cold and snow,this is the next best thing for me personally.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm actually enjoying the current weather - nice and calm and still and actually pleasant in any sheltered sunshine. Sick of scraping my car every morning already though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/long-range/monthly

Netweather's updated monthly forecast has been issued, it doesn't look very optimistic if it is cold/snow you are after.

I do notice however that many longer range forecasts are leaning towards confidence over the weather staying wetter and potentially milder in northern UK, and more vague towards the south of UK and especially the southeast.

There is one way we could get a cold spell out of this, but it would be quite localised. If high pressure was to move north/northwest just enough, and low pressure was able to move into Iberia/France/Central Europe, a E or NE wind *could* develop across southern and especially southeastern areas, in particular Kent. This may feed snow showers into these areas, perhaps longer spells of snow if low pressure moves north enough from Europe. This cold spell probably won't reach the Midlands north however, but it may be cold enough in Scotland as rain moves in to turn it to snow, especially but not exclusively over high ground. It could also stay dry in southwestern areas in this scenario. This spell would last no longer than a week.

Of course I have no confidence in this scenario playing out, but just noticing from various long range forecasts that south/southeastern areas appear to have the most uncertain outlook going forward, and remembering TWO's seasonal forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

great day yes! coming up to year since 24th Jan snow, 3 similar events, also 10th Dec '17

Oh yes buddy and december 2017 how can i forget that!similar totals to the 2013 event!!!incoming front from south west bumping into frigid temps of -3 -4 across the midlands early morning and then it snows all day!!!!hard not to remember these classic events and go slightly off topic in this thread considering the bland winter we having so far!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Well a lot of us wanted to see a repeat of summer 1976! Just a shame it manifested itself in January

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Well that’s the 4th fog warning we’ve had here in the last couple of weeks…..and the 4th time there’s been no fog

In fact the whole of east anglia was under the dense fog warning, and the whole region is crystal clear. Little bit of a bust again there.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, sukayuonsensnow said:

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/long-range/monthly

Netweather's updated monthly forecast has been issued, it doesn't look very optimistic if it is cold/snow you are after.

I do notice however that many longer range forecasts are leaning towards confidence over the weather staying wetter and potentially milder in northern UK, and more vague towards the south of UK and especially the southeast.

There is one way we could get a cold spell out of this, but it would be quite localised. If high pressure was to move north/northwest just enough, and low pressure was able to move into Iberia/France/Central Europe, a E or NE wind *could* develop across southern and especially southeastern areas, in particular Kent. This may feed snow showers into these areas, perhaps longer spells of snow if low pressure moves north enough from Europe. This cold spell probably won't reach the Midlands north however, but it may be cold enough in Scotland as rain moves in to turn it to snow, especially but not exclusively over high ground. It could also stay dry in southwestern areas in this scenario. This spell would last no longer than a week.

Of course I have no confidence in this scenario playing out, but just noticing from various long range forecasts that south/southeastern areas appear to have the most uncertain outlook going forward, and remembering TWO's seasonal forecast.

Yes, this does potentially have shades of TWO's winter forecast for February.  Their seasonal forecast has been pretty good so far and will hopefully continue that way!

• Like 1