Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
2 minutes ago, Staffmoorlands said:

My friends are reporting heavy snow in Rome. Always a bad sign for us in the UK

I’m not what’s more surprising here codge! That you’ve got friends or that’s snowing in Rome

• Like 2

Posted

Think people need to lower their expectations of a uk winter these days. Compared to the crud we often have to endure, well I think it's pretty seasonal out there. A long long way from a big freeze but certainly not mild like the local bbc forcaster was ramping about at lunchtime. Definitely hat and gloves weather and quite acceptable imo. And yes before anyone says anything, I grew up in the late 70s/early 80s so I'm well aware of what severe cold snaps can look like. Regards

• Like 4

Posted

well sun sets at 16:30 here tomorrow, a full 27 minutes later than the earliest it set in December. Bright and dry and I could feel the sun warm me at lunch time working a little in the garden weeding which now is a year round task. Temp for the first third of Jan 120% of average and Rainfall 60%, to be honest I am not complaining as I am fed up of winter at this time of the year every year. I do know it is far from over though that's for sure.

• Like 2

Posted

I never write winter off until early March.

For me, March 1st is the big turning point from the winter into spring. Still a good 6 or so weeks to go before then. 

Even with the slight increase in daylight, it’s still a long process until we start to see and feel the benefits of longer daylight hours. February is another dismal month, apart from if we get a springlike snap, but even then it’s still dark at 5.30.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I never write winter off until early March.

For me, March 1st is the big turning point from the winter into spring. Still a good 6 or so weeks to go before then. 

Even with the slight increase in daylight, it’s still a long process until we start to see and feel the benefits of longer daylight hours. February is another dismal month, apart from if we get a springlike snap, but even then it’s still dark at 5.30.

Agreed. That's why I always question people when they say winter is now over because the sun is gaining strength - it matters not under the right conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Cold here again, temperatures barely above freezing by day and a few degrees below at night. Very uneventful weather, am bored of winter now and craving some warm sunshine. Only 3 months to go as it can snow here until mid April

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
6 hours ago, Mariescb said:

Think people need to lower their expectations of a uk winter these days. Compared to the crud we often have to endure, well I think it's pretty seasonal out there. A long long way from a big freeze but certainly not mild like the local bbc forcaster was ramping about at lunchtime. Definitely hat and gloves weather and quite acceptable imo. And yes before anyone says anything, I grew up in the late 70s/early 80s so I'm well aware of what severe cold snaps can look like. Regards

Sorry mate , mild up here 9c today dropping 6c overnight,  drizzle and cloudy 

Posted
8 hours ago, Nick F said:

The winter so far, well at least from mid December, reminds me very much of 1991-92 winter, which was very anticyclonic. All three months that winter were generally anticyclonic, December and January that winter were dry and featured frost and fog a lot, Jan was slightly below average. February that winter was mild and dry - so hopefully we don't repeat that, 3 months of no snow and the last month of winter mild would be unbearable!

Yes that was a snowless one from memory..  the only other more recent quiet winter with little if any snow was 16-17. Winter 05-06 was very quiet but did bring a bit of snow at times and was very frosty, mid Atlantic heights slightly further north. 

I'd rather have a dry winter I guess with little snow than a very mild stormy wet one that brings flooding and damage. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Well - we've had had dense fog forecast here for the las 2 mornings....and it's been clear as a bell instead! Not even a hint of any fog. Just as well really, been nice to see some sunshine!

Posted

No wonder there are a lack of comments following the 0z runs -abysmal for wintry prospects. Clock ticking down now to the end of Jan in sight. I mentioned a few weeks back I felt Jan was a bust and it’s playing out that way. We can safely close the case on Jan prospects so we now look to Feb. Current thoughts are nothing significant wintry wise (deep freeze), would love to be wrong.

Edited by weathercold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

There is a reason why ive hardly been commenting and posting these ridiculous charts from gfs!!gfs is crap its simple lol!!it cant even get anything right at day 4 lads!We are in huuuuge trouble as things stand guys if snow is what your looking for!!this is fast becoming a winter to forget!a lot of posters were saying the same thing a few weeks ago but the reply was we only in late december!!well you cant be sayin that anymore with us being in the middle of january now!fast running out of time!!nothing suggests to me that we are gona see anything in terms of snow for the forseeable!!!dont even bother falling for these amplifications after 144 hours cos they have not become reality!!!one thing that looks certain is we are in for an abundance of dry boring weather!!!i will take the dry but lack of snow nah mate!!!!things can change of course and i hope they do but its not looking good at all!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Said it a few weeks ago, but without a SSW i'm not expecting anything this winter. Especially down south. And with a SSW not looking likely, my hopes for anything meaningful cold wise remain super low. We just have to hope for a February miracle. 2018 proved its never too late, but without a SSW I just can't  see anything happening. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, IDO said:

The NH is in a quasi-blocked static state where the blocks have left the UK close to a HP. There is plenty of cold to mid-lats but the three waves send the cold too far from our little island:

D8-16 T850s> animvcq4.gif

It is amazing to see the next 16 days how each wave of cold circulating the vortices managing to miss the UK! This underlying pattern dictates that result so to be expected and Jan looks tough for any snow as things stand. Can this cycle continue in February and finish winter or is a sea-change coming? 

It's like the weather is putting up a big middle finger to us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
53 minutes ago, IDO said:

The NH is in a quasi-blocked static state where the blocks have left the UK close to a HP. There is plenty of cold to mid-lats but the three waves send the cold too far from our little island:

D8-16 T850s> animvcq4.gif

It is amazing to see the next 16 days how each wave of cold circulating the vortices managing to miss the UK! This underlying pattern dictates that result so to be expected and Jan looks tough for any snow as things stand. Can this cycle continue in February and finish winter or is a sea-change coming? 

Yes, regardless of some people complaining about the winter being crap and it's a bust..  If Feb turns out to be really wintery, then that would be enough for me to say it was a decent winter?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Good morning all,

Following other comments I'd also take the current conditions in Southern England at the moment. Yes no snow potential, but dry with some frosts here and there is seasonal enough and many, many times better than mild wet dross. Hopefully the rest of January will continue the anticyclonic theme such as 2006 or 2017. 

As also mentioned Winter isn't over yet by any stretch. I am the type who prefers colder weather earlier on in the season as the weaker sun doesn't melt everything as quickly, but I wouldn't say no to snow any time of year. 

If we have a quiet winter with no snow transitioning to a mild bright spring, then so be it. Summer IMO is the true season to be jolly!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

Things are looking remarkably positive, high pressure dominating for quite a period.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

A different take on current cloudy windless conditions. Some of the best films and dramas I have ever watched have been in these weather conditions. I think they can be very atmospheric. Consider it as nature is providing you with a backdrop, now go and create your own action.

• Like 3

Posted

The GFS 00z run has no rain here whatsoever for the rest of January. I dont think I've ever seen that on a run before, even in Spring or summer.

Its starting to look like a winter of total nothingness. Barely any frost, gales, snow or anything and we're almost halfway through.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

This is how winter should be. Frosty foggy mornings followed by crisp winter sunshine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I don’t know about anyone else but having high pressure over us which produces cold/cool frosty nights and low temps with sun is the second best thing in winter.. I’m happy if I can’t get snow. Snow is the only reason I like winter other than that I hate the cold.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Interesting that although the prongged high pressure set up is not great for snow.  It wouldn't need that much amplification to make it more interesting.  

This was what I think the tweet from Marco was carrot dangling this morning on... On tweets I do miss @Griff anyone know if he is elsewhere...

Posted

Today it just appears that fog does not develop in the way it did many years ago - fog is the white stuff that fills the air away from surfaces.  Any fog today often seems to be confined to high ground with elevation - valley fog at low levels appears to be non-existent today.  White stuff in terms of fog just seems to have gone the same way as snow is - most of it at high levels with elevation and much less so at low levels.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Today it just appears that fog does not develop in the way it did many years ago - fog is the white stuff that fills the air away from surfaces.  Any fog today often seems to be confined to high ground with elevation - valley fog at low levels appears to be non-existent today.  White stuff in terms of fog just seems to have gone the same way as snow is - most of it at high levels with elevation and much less so at low levels.

OT, here is some valley fog this morning near Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands

3B0A31FF-CFBE-464A-9F9C-58B89DF7D2B4.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, cold snowy Winters
2 minutes ago, Staffmoorlands said:

OT, here is some valley fog this morning near Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands

3B0A31FF-CFBE-464A-9F9C-58B89DF7D2B4.jpeg

Yes, I have seen plenty of fog like this so far this winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
13 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

Far less air pollution (smoke) these days.