Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day 10

Well, whatever you get enjoy the weather, for me it’s another one written off.  

See you all for the chase again next year!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Day_9 said:

Ahh yes, another one of those winter is over posts.

At least you waited until January to make yours

Some were writing winter off back in September

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
6 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Anyone else noticed that Raintoday is no longer working and a site called Weatherpro appears? 

Yes thats really annoyed me as I liked that one better than netweathers radar. 

Posted
1 hour ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Some I think write off winter permanently... 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Back to reflections on current conditions.. its mid winter and the weather is in slumber mode.. feel like hibernating - won't be missing much.. what a benign pattern we are in.. needs shaking up.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

3 minutes ago, North-Easterly Blast said:

As I believe; and past years largely back this up, and in recent times at least it has certainly been the case; that it is very rare to get a cold winter after a really warm September - there does appear to be a bit of a link between warm Septembers being nearly always followed by winters that are mild overall, with a small chance that it will be average and virtually no chance of a colder than average winter to follow.  Anomalous warmth in September certainly does appear to reduce the chance of cold weather during the following winter.  Based on this, during the really warm September we had in 2021, I think that it could be reliably said that the chance of a cold winter to follow was very slim indeed.

Edited by North-Easterly Blast
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Well, can't say they have been wrong so far!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Hope a quiet atlantic driven winter isn't exchanged for an unsettled Spring and Summer!

March so far has a very strong signal to be much drier (and perhaps warmer) than average

image.thumb.png.1920862cc7de0a41ae1bda2a765263db.png

April I think may go downhill and be wetter and cooler than average, due to late break up of the polar vortex and continued draining of cold into the mid latitudes.

Interestingly the GLOSEA has the HP barely moving throughout spring. Just sits around the UK as a mean feature right the way through the run. Would give a very settled spring

image.thumb.png.47086fdc1d1517624a7a7c23df7d7561.png

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

March so far has a very strong signal to be much drier (and perhaps warmer) than average

image.thumb.png.1920862cc7de0a41ae1bda2a765263db.png

April I think may go downhill and be wetter and cooler than average, due to late break up of the polar vortex and continued draining of cold into the mid latitudes.

Interestingly the GLOSEA has the HP barely moving throughout spring. Just sits around the UK as a mean feature right the way through the run. Would give a very settled spring

image.thumb.png.47086fdc1d1517624a7a7c23df7d7561.png

That would be an amazing spring if we get that sort of pressure anomaly....looks something like 2 years ago when we were plunged into the first full covid lockdown, it decided to be sunny and pretty warm for about 2 months! May was incredible. Day after day of gin clear skies. Bournemouth recorded 339 hours of sunshine, and the England/Wales average of 266 hours beat the previous record of June 1959.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

That would be an amazing spring if we get that sort of pressure anomaly....looks something like 2 years ago when we were plunged into the first full covid lockdown, it decided to be sunny and pretty warm for about 2 months! May was incredible. Day after day of gin clear skies. Bournemouth recorded 339 hours of sunshine, and the England/Wales average of 266 hours beat the previous record of June 1959.

Imo they were really good crystal skies in the lockdown due to hardly any planes flying also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Just caught a load of that trash they call Good Morning Britain which my mother watches and the weather presenter on there was actually trying to educate us that it makes a real difference at this time under these weather conditions when it stays foggy and when the sun comes out . Well thanks for the info, never new that.... Really what as this mad society become.....? Answer..Even mor crazy  . Anyway ,would like to hibernate for a few weeks now and wake up when the weather does Roll on Spring......it's been a long dull Winter...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

If we can’t have seasonal snow, frost and ice then what we are having now is about as good as it gets. I have been able to clear up all the winter detritus and fix fences etc caused by the storms and incessant rain in December. Out from 1000hrs yesterday until dusk - 1645 hrs in this part of the world at this time of year. 

A dry settled week will do no one any harm.

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Has anyone said it's looking god for February, yet.

well looking at the EC 46 day I think if you are looking for Cold and Snow you probably do need to look up god and get on your knees now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Well they most likely won't be wrong in the mdorn eara. Apart from a heads or tails SSW over the last several years, there really has been nothing to write home about in terms of cold and snow. Long may that continue as this kind of weather is excellent for getting out and about. And with the increase in energy costs and lower mortality rates (Fact; cold weather kills more people than extreme heat) then it's a win win all round

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Strange winter so far. Very little inversion here so far,since 01.12 only 7 frostless nights, 22mm precipitation in December and 6mm in January with non forecast either. December average temp. -0.7, January so far -0.3, just above long term mean. So Sunny,dry and little bit above average, below average cumulative Snow fall of 20cm,of which 15cm fell on 25.12 which melted on 05.01. could be better could be worse

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Day_9 said:

I wouldn't bother next year..find another hobby instead and avoid your disappointment...this year has not been cold but the synoptics on view have been fascinating (excuse spelling if incorrect) I've been following for years and some of the charts on view have been a first for me and many other amature enthusiast I'm sure

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Anyone else noticed that Raintoday is no longer working and a site called Weatherpro appears? 

Yeo. Popped in there yday morn to see if rain was about to clear. I use it most days. Guess it has gone forever, sadly.

EDIT: just done some digging. Bit more info here.

WeatherPro has been created by MeteoGroup, Europe's leading private weather company. 

Guess the raintoday website been bought out by MeteoGroup.

Further edit: you could try Meteoradar.co uk for uptodate radar - not a bad site.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
33 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Yeo. Popped in there yday morn to see if rain was about to clear. I use it most days. Guess it has gone forever, sadly.

EDIT: just done some digging. Bit more info here.

WeatherPro has been created by MeteoGroup, Europe's leading private weather company. 

Guess the raintoday website been bought out by MeteoGroup.

Further edit: you could try Meteoradar.co uk for uptodate radar - not a bad site.

Ah cheers mate for digging round. Top man. Bad news that, I've been using it since about 2014,I've always found it by far the best. Mind you it's not the best weather to be checking the quality of other radar sites.

• Like 1

Posted

Worrying update from spaceweather.com

Solar cycle 25 is heating up and the sunspot count is consistently exceeding the official forecasts. In fact, in late December the sunspot count was two times higher than the forecast!

This is bad news for cold lovers and as experts now believe that this cycle will be much stronger than was originally expected. A quiet solar cycle would have helped a bit with global temperatures but now with a stronger sun and CO2 levels continuing to increase, we are likely to see more heat records broken and of course ice loss.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Pity can't nudge the current high a couple of hundreds miles north and west we would be having a cold frisry high. Too far south for my liking yes it's fine and sunny but not cold enough for me.. days when frost stats hard on the ground as it should do in January.. or was that yesteryear.

Thinking back to last January which I enjoyed alot from a wintry perspective a number of snowfalls and consistently cold. This winter so far has been one of least interesting I can ever recall, mind its owthaos what is needed given everything we've been put through since March 2020. High energy Bill's etc seems we might escape from concerns in this respect. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, karyo said:

Worrying update from spaceweather.com

Solar cycle 25 is heating up and the sunspot count is consistently exceeding the official forecasts. In fact, in late December the sunspot count was two times higher than the forecast!

This is bad news for cold lovers and as experts now believe that this cycle will be much stronger than was originally expected. A quiet solar cycle would have helped a bit with global temperatures but now with a stronger sun and CO2 levels continuing to increase, we are likely to see more heat records broken and of course ice loss.

Any chance you can link to any credible metrological institute, university or peer reviewed journal that shows the Sun in Stronger or Weaker as it moves through it's average 11 year cycle top to bottom. One would think with such a small cycle averaging 11 years that the two or three years at the top and the two or three and the bottom which is >50% of the time in the cycle would be part of the weather forecast as a background signal. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
21 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Pity can't nudge the current high a couple of hundreds miles north and west we would be having a cold frisry high. Too far south for my liking yes it's fine and sunny but not cold enough for me.. days when frost stats hard on the ground as it should do in January.. or was that yesteryear.

Thinking back to last January which I enjoyed alot from a wintry perspective a number of snowfalls and consistently cold. This winter so far has been one of least interesting I can ever recall, mind its owthaos what is needed given everything we've been put through since March 2020. High energy Bill's etc seems we might escape from concerns in this respect. 

The winter so far, well at least from mid December, reminds me very much of 1991-92 winter, which was very anticyclonic. All three months that winter were generally anticyclonic, December and January that winter were dry and featured frost and fog a lot, Jan was slightly below average. February that winter was mild and dry - so hopefully we don't repeat that, 3 months of no snow and the last month of winter mild would be unbearable!

• Like 1