Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,
47 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Hi peeps

dear oh dear I just went on Weather Online and had a look at their seasonal forecast for February.

Milder February

Drier March

Issued: Sunday 9th January 2022 
Duty forecaster: Alexi Venerus 

*February* 
Ridge towards the south and Europe 
Trough in Iceland and parts of N Atlantic 
Windier and wetter further northwest 
Drier further south and east 
Milder generally overall. 

*March* 
Ridge perhaps more prominant across the country 
A drier outlook for March generally 
Perhaps milder too 
Though mist and fog could be common 

Alexi Venerus

If this has got any reliability in it then I am lost for words

goes with what a few of the seasonal models have predicted for this season. If this is how it will pan out then top marks.

Netweather and TheWeatherOutlook at this stage are going for a chilly or cold February. TheWeatherOutlook looks at a major cold spell during the first half of February, whereas Netweather is more vague.

MetOffice in their long range have also recently suggested that in any colder interludes in early February of snow to quite low levels, though mostly likely in higher ground in the north.

Guess it depends on how mild the start and end of February is, and how potent this cold spell is likely to be (if it happens). Probably the first weekend of February or the week commencing 7th Feb.

TheWeatherOutlook have been on the money with their seasonal forecast so far, even despite the fantasy model runs we had recently and over the festive period.

Edited by sukayuonsensnow
triple post
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Quite looking forward to the prospect of cold, frosty, foggy conditions later this week. At least it's wintry of sorts.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Quite looking forward to the prospect of cold, frosty, foggy conditions later this week. At least it's wintry of sorts.

We seem to get far less fog and particularly freezing fog of late, can remember years ago we used to get days of it, and often all day too. 

Seems to be mainly middle of the night sometimes now and even then never a real old pea souper.

Posted
3 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

We seem to get far less fog and particularly freezing fog of late, can remember years ago we used to get days of it, and often all day too. 

Seems to be mainly middle of the night sometimes now and even then never a real old pea souper.

We've remarked on this at work a few times. Perhaps because we have cleaner air than years gone by? Fewer particulates from household fires etc. for fog formation perhaps.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted

With most of Winter, so far, being an absolute DullFest in these parts (sunny days at a premium) i could really do without foggy mornings where the stuff struggles to clear, even by midday.

Posted

'Blue Monday' if you believe in such things, come early this year, today's weather not one redeeming quality about it - low cloud, dank, dreary, dull, dismal, dark, drizzly.... I'm closing my eyes and pretending it's May. Such days do get you down at this time of year.

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

With most of Winter, so far, being an absolute DullFest in these parts (sunny days at a premium) i could really do without foggy mornings where the stuff struggles to clear, even by midday.

That's one downside, for sure. This has to be the dullest first half of winter I can ever remember.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Eagerly waiting for Spring now, surely to God it will be more interesting than this Winter.....

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Eagerly waiting for Spring now, surely to God it will be more interesting than this Winter.....

Reminding me of winter 16-17 which was also a complete snooze fest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
52 minutes ago, Nick L said:

You’ll be struggling to find that golf ball in that fog if it comes apparent, thats if your still finding your way to the green that’s is

Posted
18 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Agree, winter has been a complete snooze fest so far, up there with 2016/17 and also the likes of 1991/2, which was also boring as hell!  Would be great to just get some sunny days and frosty nights later this week!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
14 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I remember seeing some snowflakes falling from the sky during January 2017,for that reason that winter beats this one so far from my location. Cannot wait for spring so we can finally leave this boring season!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
2 hours ago, E17boy said:

Hi peeps

dear oh dear I just went on Weather Online and had a look at their seasonal forecast for February.

Milder February

Drier March

Issued: Sunday 9th January 2022 
Duty forecaster: Alexi Venerus 

*February* 
Ridge towards the south and Europe 
Trough in Iceland and parts of N Atlantic 
Windier and wetter further northwest 
Drier further south and east 
Milder generally overall. 

*March* 
Ridge perhaps more prominant across the country 
A drier outlook for March generally 
Perhaps milder too 
Though mist and fog could be common 

Alexi Venerus

If this has got any reliability in it then I am lost for words

goes with what a few of the seasonal models have predicted for this season. If this is how it will pan out then top marks.

oh dear if they said arctic cold conditions for february we would all be jumping for joy and then. Boom mild and windy , so going forward mild and drier forecasts give me hope.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I remember seeing some snowflakes falling from the sky during January 2017,for that reason that winter beats this one so far from my location. Cannot wait for spring so we can finally leave this boring season!

There is a lot of winter still to go, and snow prospects as well - into April.

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

30 minutes ago, Don said:

Agree, winter has been a complete snooze fest so far, up there with 2016/17 and also the likes of 1991/2, which was also boring as hell!  Would be great to just get some sunny days and frosty nights later this week!

I'll admit that to a lesser extent another recent winter was a bit of a snooze fest, 2018/19

Featured a lot of mild and dry weather too and when the SSW happened and it promised a lot then delivered very little. Apart from one very brief band of snow in mid January and the warm end to February the rest of that winter was unremarkable to say the least.

Posted
Just now, SqueakheartLW said:

I'll admit that to a lesser extent another recent winter was a bit of a snooze fest, 2018/19

The last day of January and 1st day of February saved that winter for me.  However, it was still very poor as it promised much!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Don said:

The last day of January and 1st day of February saved that winter for me.  However, it was still very poor as it promised much!

I know how much I detest winters like 2013/14, 2015/16 and 2019/20 as they are mild, stormy and wet at least they have more going on than snooze fests like 2016/17 as you said and 1991/92 which I don't even remember, partly no doubt due to how young I was at the time and probably due to the snooze fest nature of it.

Give me a 1995/96, December 96 and January 97, 2008/09. 2009/10, December 2010 and January to March 2013 anytime.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
16 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

There is a lot of winter still to go, and snow prospects as well - into April.

That's true, this week looks cold and frosty here, with little to no wind. A bit of seasonal weather I'll be happy with even if there's no snow. By April here the sun's too strong for it to feel like winter even if it is only around 13-15 degrees, however last April proves it can occasionally happen. 

Posted
1 minute ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Give me a 1995/96, December 96 and January 97, 2008/09. 2009/10, December 2010 and January to March 2013 anytime.

I saw very little snow during the winters of 1995/96 and 1996/97, so they were rather poor IMBY.  However, I would gladly take 2008/09, 2009/10, December 2010 and winter 2012/13 including March!

Posted
4 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

I know how much I detest winters like 2013/14, 2015/16 and 2019/20 as they are mild, stormy and wet at least they have more going on than snooze fests like 2016/17 as you said and 1991/92 which I don't even remember, partly no doubt due to how young I was at the time and probably due to the snooze fest nature of it.

Following the previous cold winter, I was hopeful that 1991/92 would produce snow, but saw nowt!  The most interesting spell that winter was around mid-December, where there was an inversion high which did provide some ice days and a hoar frost.  Apart from that though, dull dull dull!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Fortunately there was a lot of frost and some fog down here. Cold frosty spells included:

27th Nov - 05th Dec

27th-30th Dec

02nd-06th Jan

17th-27th Jan

There was also a brief cold northwesterly that brought fleeting snow on the second Friday, and an even tamer easterly with snow flurries in early Feb. The rest of Feb was boring though.

This winter has a long way to go to even provide that down here.

Posted
2 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

The weather is broken forever from Spring 2021