Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
1 hour ago, dr weather said:

Bristol has recorded 35.1 in Filton a few minutes ago. May be unofficial, but surely the Bristol record goes today.

The highest half-hourly METAR for the airport (Lulsgate) is reported as "32" C so a 35 maximum nearby would be surprising, and either it, or the airport instrument/site, could be suspicious. It's at 189m elevation though. Gloucester AP, Cardiff and Pershore all reported 33 though so you never know!

Edited by DaveL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
9 minutes ago, DaveL said:

The highest half-hourly METAR for the airport (Lulsgate) is reported as "32" C so a 35 maximum nearby would be surprising, and either it, or the airport instrument/site, could be suspicious. It's at 189m elevation though. Gloucester AP, Cardiff and Pershore all reported 33 though so you never know!

Yes, it's the elevation which causes the issue with Lulsgate. For the most part it is usually a couple of degrees cooler than the rest of the Bristol area all year round.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Below 30 now. Sunshine is pretty much disappearing too. Not the perfect blue skies today.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

Are you feeling a change in your bones?

I think it may be arthritis Db?!

• Like 1

Posted

I’m quite enjoying this putting washing on the line at 19.30 and it being dry by 22.00 malarkey!

It started as an experiment on holiday and has become routine 😂.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I suspect high cloud will be an issue tomorrow but at least it held off until the evening so this afternoon surpassed 35C here. Not quite as high as July, which seems unfair as this spell has been better in my opinion, but hey ho. To hit 35 in two summer months of the same year is incredible… might be a while until that happens again.

Meanwhile I’m debating which sun lounger to sleep on tonight…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I suspect high cloud will be an issue tomorrow

I've been keeping an eye on that myself.. a few days ago, Sunday was looking a bit meh in terms of sunshine. It seems to have changed somewhat..

viewimagenc.thumb.png.ac29c0cc9bc919bcd5a2c37c4f2bf9e1.png 1130522662_viewimagenc(1).thumb.png.4f731d37d9a760b0f161cc14fd769df1.png

2048805143_viewimagenc(2).thumb.png.cbe04c2b68a4a20e2026f56a301ba740.png1750184831_viewimagenc(3).thumb.png.1bf4c14b956841b927ee21d56b3a3b5d.png

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I've been keeping an eye on that myself.. a few days ago, Sunday was looking a bit meh in terms of sunshine. It seems to have changed somewhat..

viewimagenc.thumb.png.ac29c0cc9bc919bcd5a2c37c4f2bf9e1.png 1130522662_viewimagenc(1).thumb.png.4f731d37d9a760b0f161cc14fd769df1.png

2048805143_viewimagenc(2).thumb.png.cbe04c2b68a4a20e2026f56a301ba740.png1750184831_viewimagenc(3).thumb.png.1bf4c14b956841b927ee21d56b3a3b5d.png

That shadowy swathe looks perfectly placed to block out the sun here lol but we will see.

Posted

A bit of high cloud around but otherwise a sunny start and heating up quickly!

Posted

Morning All, after an overnight low of 16.1°C at: 04:22, the temperature has risen to 28.2°C under As cloud over the channel but clear over the mainland areas, with RH41% and light air movement from the SE (which wouldn't surprise to swing more southerly later).

From Above

image.thumb.png.e10924301676410847341f689b80b75e.png

On the beach (somewhat hazy sunshine)

image.thumb.png.b23d8c6126bbe3b6eb1f871ee55f070f.png

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Thunderstorm watch issued.

Just 10% for the South coast and SW but looking like it could be quite an action-packed day for the NW, Scotland and Ireland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Today is probably going to be 7 straight days where the temperature has exceeded 30c

It's impossible to keep the house cool and the days have become nothing more than sitting doing nothing. I haven't had a hot meal other than a bbq as its pointless putting the oven on as it only makes the house even hotter. 

Seriously considering buying a portable aircon unit for next year.

• Like 3

Posted

Well, the cloud is certainly making a difference today

image.thumb.png.948a28feffa28ed94bf9c91e8c1ea98c.png

Temperature flatlined, in fact dropped back 0.3°C from 29.2°C at: 10:30, both solar & UV levels are down on recent days.(Not complaining!)

Busier out on the water today whilst the beach continues to fill

image.thumb.png.112564e2e740b145f4267f22c7421327.png

• Like 1

Posted

According to the MetO, it's supposed to be 31°C. Only 4° out, as it's 27°C. Sunshine has gone - a bit disappointing tbh.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

According to the MetO, it's supposed to be 31°C. Only 4° out, as it's 27°C. Sunshine has gone - a bit disappointing tbh.

The low over France seems to be sending spurious bands of cloud over us. Noticeable that the cloud in the main is burning back towards the coast from earlier as the temperature rises, so maybe it'll burn back the cloud here this afternoon?

image.thumb.png.551342779577f103902382d4bb424ae4.png

Posted

Despite the light cloud today, we have hit 31.3c today
Been hovering around 30.5c to 31.3c since 10:45am, but has just dropped down to 28c in last 15 minutes
Here are our skies at midday, looking North and NW, cloud is building up slowly.

cloud norrh.jpg

Edited by lettice
  • Like 1

Posted

Just hit 32c here; i think that was our forecast max for today. It seems i've constantly been 'in the oven' the past few weeks. Few weeks ago here, 2 weeks ago Spain, last few days Paris - cant wait for temp relief midweek.

Steve B mentioned about portable aircon unit - been thinking much the same for next few years. I'd have a fixed, wall mounted in living room and one at top of stairs, but 'The Boss' says "No" because they spoil the look of the room🙄

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, lettice said:

A cloudy start, still plenty of blue and cloud thinning out now.
Was 24c at midnight and a low of 19c at 5am
Now 24c, very light 2-3mph NNE wind

Why's your temp soooo high? Mine is sooo low!

2 hours ago, dr weather said:

Thunderstorm watch issued.

Just 10% for the South coast and SW but looking like it could be quite an action-packed day for the NW, Scotland and Ireland.

I won't bother looking in the convective thread then! When are we due some?

Posted
2 hours ago, SteveB said:

Today is probably going to be 7 straight days where the temperature has exceeded 30c

It's impossible to keep the house cool and the days have become nothing more than sitting doing nothing. I haven't had a hot meal other than a bbq as its pointless putting the oven on as it only makes the house even hotter. 

Seriously considering buying a portable aircon unit for next year.

Yea we been talking air con too! And same. The house looks a bomb site as minimal housework been happening. Just sitting around doing nothing as it's too hot to move!

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Just hit 32c here; i think that was our forecast max for today. It seems i've constantly been 'in the oven' the past few weeks. Few weeks ago here, 2 weeks ago Spain, last few days Paris - cant wait for temp relief midweek.

Steve B mentioned about portable aircon unit - been thinking much the same for next few years. I'd have a fixed, wall mounted in living room and one at top of stairs, but 'The Boss' says "No" because they spoil the look of the room🙄

Hubby said you can get them that you can also heat the room with so he is looking at a combo one. I dunno how they work or the size etc but would deffo consider it for bed time!

Temp 32.3c ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I've been looking on the net for one, and for around £250 you can get a decent one which comes with the window kit. 

We have literally done nothing,  and getting the dog out for a walk is turning into going out either very late at night or very early in the morning. Sleep has been at a premium. 

Must admit, cooler nights will be welcomed,  but Don't want to wish away this weather,  as it won't be long before the endless days of grey skies and wet and windy days take hold through autumn and winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Bristle Si said:

I think going forward the wall mount "jobs" will become the "norm" much like many of the warmer continental areas. The air con people are rubbing their hands with global warming because whilst portable have the pain points of exhaust and water collection, wall mounts don't so likely to become more of a home fitting and even a possible house selling point! AND, don't forget the inverse, they can also be used to HEAT up a room, thus reducing heating costs (potentially). 

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1