Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - into mid-January

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread and use the winter chat thread for non-model related discussion.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less of a cold-slanted look at the models, please head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

A wry smile after watching a rather boring GFS 06z run with HP domination, supported by the mean, that the op was an outlier, coldest solution at D6:

graphe3_00000_315_155___.thumb.png.20ca0719ce590ee0e10e46745afd7e6f.png

The mean uppers barely dropping below 0c! The D13 mean for UK is similar to the 0z but maybe reinforcing that mean high on the latest run:

gens-31-1-336.thumb.png.8bf8c8e90fe400bed9ad9e97e504a510.png

I am not hopeful that the pattern can shift west enough for us to benefit from the trough(s) dropping to the east, so based on current output, inter and x-model, there is little comfort for snow lovers pre-Feb.

• Like 3

Posted

Not many to cold ENS to choose from but the control looks good, as do a few others!! Even I’m giving up on Jan, it’s probably a great time to have a week off from model watching to be fair!! 

41B762C6-E11E-4092-9280-1CEA25EC845D.png

38B7B205-0281-4FB9-A8D3-3A48DF14F3E8.png

DD1272EB-48E4-4E71-83A1-E0BDF8A4C161.png

68BB9B9C-1357-463A-BB1A-E894683F3863.png

9E9EA48A-D19E-43D5-9529-405AAB6CAFC1.png

6EF913AE-7E7D-4DFC-A41D-CE3770DE0A25.png

• Like 7

Posted
12 hours ago, IanT said:

It’s only the second week of January. Surely a little early for “winter is over”, especially with some powerful features in play elsewhere on our side of the northern hemisphere..!?

Didn't say winter was over, but it wouldn't be good if the high pressure slips south as that type of pattern is difficult to break out of and by then it will be mid to late January.

Edited by Don
  • Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Just an observation- we have seen many periods modelled with dumbelling Atlantic ridges and systems surfing around the top and dropping somewhere into Europe 

my recollection is that they rarely last more than two cycles, irrelevant to what the week 2 modelling shows ….

so if we are to see that pattern verify, we need to try and work out what’s going to follow as it’s likely it will come sooner rather than later …beyond the 23rd I suspect we will see a different solution take over 

One of two options most likely:

1. It ridges further west and we pull in a cold NW flow and frontal features.

2. It sinks south and the Atlantic rolls in but probably half-hearted.

Equal chances of both.

29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

Well another day and another models ball first if I may say so The pattern we are currently in at the moment would be very good for the summer however for cold and snow this is as boring as it gets for the next 10 day or so there is nothing interesting on the models in my opinion let’s hope we can break out of this current pattern sooner rather than later we do however had hard frost over last two nights and even some fog.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

Strange model watching days.
As foggy as the current weather. Just as the sun could appear any time ("Do I see some blue above me?"), but it's uncertain if it will, colder charts could appear any time, but it's uncertain if they will.

The EPS ensemble doesn't indicate much of a new direction in the reliable unfortunately, other than the NE trough diving deeper into Southeastern Europe later on, around 240h, causing some separation between the two tPV lobes.

13jan0EPS-192.thumb.png.71ce2ff3dd998e915a1a1474e002e4ef.png

In the extended there are hints of the Atlantic ridge filling in that gap to the North, and lower heights to our South, but not more than hints right now.

13jan0EPS-264.thumb.png.3b6618f25d41a6d5c4f8228269302c77.png

For now the majority of members don't bring real cold on the surface in our part of the world before day 15. Flatter clusters are a small minority now.

We are in a pattern that could flip to colder outcomes more easily than a zonal pattern though, it doesn't take giants steps for that to happen, because we have Atlantic amplification and a stretched PV. Let's hope the output will surprise us in the coming days.

• Like 5

Posted

Not much to add to the discussion for the near term, dry sunny and scenic for the next 5-7 days. We could do with that 2nd ESB storm tracking further west to eek out more amplification downstream.

Longer term the AO (gfs) is not looking to go as negative as the last few days had suggested, we really need it to with a mid lat high just drifting about

MJO ECM at sigma -2 in phase 8 on the latest RMM update doesn't seem to be helping again either, although there is a 8 or 9 day lag on this.

GFS VP200 filtered forecast sees it in phase 8/1 over the next 2 weeks.

The only positive is we are not locked in a rampant zonal pattern, and a high can migrate North at relatively short notice,

Gefs ensembles offer a little glimmer way out, but have to say it has been poor the last month, always over amplifying in FI.

Icon overnight and UKMO weren't bad, especially the icon, you can see a nice negative AO development there.

Let's see what it throws out now, the run is just starting. 

ao.fcst (2).gif

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full (1) (7).gif

twc_globe_mjo_vp200 (3).png

gensnh-31-5-324.png

ukmonh-0-168 (3).png

iconnh-0-180 (1) (5).png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

The only faint hope I have atm is that we all remember during that failed xmas cold spell, the models a week or so out had HP in total control with what looked to be set in stone with such consistency run upon run. And we all know that didn't turn out to be the case, hell the HP lost control over us in just a few runs out of nowhere. 

So here's hoping this HP drifts further N/NW in future runs. Not the most likely outcome, but its all I can cling to currently.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

Just an observation- we have seen many periods modelled with dumbelling Atlantic ridges and systems surfing around the top and dropping somewhere into Europe 

my recollection is that they rarely last more than two cycles, irrelevant to what the week 2 modelling shows ….

so if we are to see that pattern verify, we need to try and work out what’s going to follow as it’s likely it will come sooner rather than later …beyond the 23rd I suspect we will see a different solution take over 

Agree and the surface nicely cooled were we to get a cold incursion post the block.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Remember before the models started churning out the more festive, snowier charts before Christmas, they were indicating a long  anticyclonic period.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

This is a reasonable pattern for mid-January if we don’t mind waiting a while. It would be very surprising if we’re still under the same high pressure at the end of the month. As long as the mid Atlantic stays blocked, the subsequent development when the high eventually leaves the UK and Ireland should hold reasonable prospects for some more notable wintry weather, probably either from the north or northwest. 

Since the operational runs of the main models are all so resolute in their consistency for high pressure for the next 10 days, which as enjoyable as it is outside might be deemed to be a bit boring, we should allow ourselves a day 11 chart, this one from the 0z JMA operational run. Good uppers too.

9DA164A1-D347-45B6-887F-C910C0FA9C1C.thumb.gif.918b71ed75d7748696ccf6f368ab2f91.gif 7036EBA5-73CA-4263-B705-732F9645EB2F.thumb.gif.2272b43fce8ae95f62ce16629e5a7095.gif

If we bring it back a day to day 10, and then compare the JMA op with the 0z ECM op for 240h, we can see straight away how much flatter the ECM is. If we look at the ECM ensembles spread though, the main ambiguity is around the GIN corridor, where the PV trough drops on the JMA. Both models have a shallow Azores low developed by day 10, the important difference being in the heights and extent of the ridging to the north of that. 
JMA / ECM

B53981DB-0060-48B5-B5E9-58535711BD1C.thumb.gif.b2856b0268cd7e4528858930ee6c03c2.gif C377CF86-8E8B-4ECC-B67D-6B6444B9706B.thumb.png.b91b7da5af72ae44b1434292ea140057.png CB55B5D1-B275-4C23-B52A-ADCEE72A9C5A.thumb.png.93c661bb693c7ed50c26d06d34bd11de.png

Possible route ahead for day 10/11? It would liven things up a bit, but I doubt it. Something like this may well be a plausible route towards the end of the month though. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
16 hours ago, Don said:

If that happens, winter will be a goner but great for those wanting an early spring (which isn't me!!)

15 hours ago, IanT said:

It’s only the second week of January. Surely a little early for “winter is over”, especially with some powerful features in play elsewhere on our side of the northern hemisphere..!?

2 hours ago, Don said:

Didn't say winter was over, but it wouldn't be good if the high pressure slips south as that type of pattern is difficult to break out of and by then it will be mid to late January.

Errrr..... 

Posted
9 minutes ago, baggielad said:

Remember before the models started churning out the more festive, snowier charts before Christmas, they were indicating a long  anticyclonic period.

Neither of which went very well! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Neither of which went very well! 

That I think was the point, the extended anticyclonic period now might not be right either. Anyway, on wards and upwards hopefully. Fingers crossed the high moves west, or north east at some point. Not showing just yet, but anomalies earlier, where showing spread over scandi.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

centre of the low at 54h slightly further west on 12z

Love the commitment... Maybe this tiny change will expand with exponential divergence to narina by 198 .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Where's this going?

image.thumb.png.663ccc271588064bfd276b2ca6247d4d.png