Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - into mid-January

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread and use the winter chat thread for non-model related discussion.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less of a cold-slanted look at the models, please head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

it didnt turn out how i thought,high sits to close by doesnt go north

It never looked like going north to me. Lets see what tomorrow brings..... Big sigh! Lol. My hopes are fast going south. A bit like next weeks high pressure

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.20ac71e175481c89eb5f8a765d96ec11.png

I wonder if this will budge NW to allow the East to enter the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, MJB said:

Do you mean move NE to Scandinavia ie easterly? 

Posted
Just now, blizzard81 said:

It never looked like going north to me. Lets see what tomorrow brings..... Big sigh! Lol. My hopes are fast going south. A bit like next weeks high pressure

If that happens, winter will be a goner but great for those wanting an early spring (which isn't me!!)

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

There's not a huge amount in it at 240, but still the 12z just a bit better for me, more fragmented vortex, well aware though of course that the 384 chart could show a screaming ne flow with -12c whistling all the way down to Cornwall.

In my eyes, that's quite a big difference. 

gfsnh-0-240.png

gfsnh-0-246.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

?‍♂️?‍♂️ behave- we know where this is going!!!?‍♂️?‍♂️

A9170967-7476-4F2B-9762-7E63CBBFEB24.png

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, MJB said:

In other words, to a more Favourable position... Contrary in the main ToThe position it so frequently ends up in time and again!! Fingers crossed folks it does... Ticking clock... 

Edited by PiscesStar

Posted
4 minutes ago, MJB said:

Of course it will. Its the pub run. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

Yep off it goes

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

Lol. Pub run nonsense. Nothing more. Nothing less. Bless it. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

You must be frustrated Tight..its not like you to get downbeat. But I do feel your anguish...my remedy is simply to just laugh it off and wait for better model runs. I've noticed solar activity being brought up again! Not so sure,it's not stopping parts of the states from being hit with severe wintry episodes! I think to many of us look to blame every possible factor when we don't get what we want in this country.

I'm now starting to doubt positive teleconnections also,this year they've all been stacked favourably for cold yet have so far failed to deliver! But I've noticed how the met have never spoken about a cold winter! And it kind of makes me feel that they've been influenced by AGW scuppering it! And perhaps that could be a dangerous game to play for future winters because GW will not scupper ever cold snap in future winters...infact we could still have extreme weather events brought about by it.

Word if caution to those already saying next year will be worse due to much poorer teleconnections! Really? It seems to me that very favourable signals can be easily overriden by a strong Vortex...even if it fails to connect to the strat!  So on the back of poor teleconnections next year we could end up with an almighty strat split and that will render all those poor signals just as useless! 

So I would say...we still have time this year...a lot of cold air will be in place even come March which could deliver big time especially early to mid month....and certainly do not be stressing over a worser set up next year folks...because a major split could easily throw all that out of the window again!

We will get lucky again...things even themselves out in the end.

Just a note on solar activity - It has next to no/minimal impact on the winters of North America. Predominantly North West Europe is the region that suffers in terms of winter synoptics. All to do with the northern arm of the atlantic jet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

No it's not a bad run at Luke - it's dry average temps , sometimes below average . Frost and Fog will be around, as long as the HP is close by we are still in the game for it to settle in a favourable position .

Not a good run would be long fetch SWlies with temps at 12-14c overcast and damp.

• Like 6

Hi peeps

Final one from me today

to be honest as soon as I saw this Azores high get on the scene something inside was screaming no no can’t have this had a bad feeling from the start. If it’s fog and some frost you like then the coming weather pattern may appeal to you. However for the snow lovers the distress sirens have been ramping up. There is no way out of this, this high is going to at least take 10 to 15 days of our winter away from us.

I know am in the thoughts that I would have preferred a mobile pattern rather than being stuck under this doom and gloom where things are not moving. At least with the mobile pattern there is better chance of finding an opportunity for colder incursions and we don’t have to wait on days end for things to change.

night night all 

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Until meto and ECM show a cold snowy spell at +96 we can basically call time.

Recent Meto updates do hint that heights may advect further north and west to at least bring some colder air from the NW in time.. think last week.. nothing exceptional but perfectly plausible indeed I'd say likely. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Recent Meto updates do hint that heights may advect further north and west to at least bring some colder air from the NW in time.. think last week.. nothing exceptional but perfectly plausible indeed I'd say likely. 

Ok since it's quiet and I've been sitting on this question for years..

A lot of knowledgable folk on here talk about "heights" and "low heights" ... is this a very high pressure system and lower high pressure system or are the low heights a low pressure system?

Please, in simple terms put me out of my misery - Thanks in advance