Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - into mid-January

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread and use the winter chat thread for non-model related discussion.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less of a cold-slanted look at the models, please head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

oh yes,wasnt it around 4/5th february..

GFS and UKMO similar at 144, so let’s see if we can get that PM back in by day 8/9  - UKMO does look to be parting the PV a little better though.

4EE6C543-C629-4A1A-BB34-91858970C4E0.png

9CA2AF9C-EF9E-4AB2-A952-BDE9D54FD02C.gif

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The UKMO at day 6(144hrs) looking good here if i am not mistaken with a more pronounced trough to the NW with tpv not as strong over N Canada allowing a better ridge into Labrador,...lets see how the UKMO 168 looks like soon.

12z 144 vs 00z 156...

UN144-21.thumb.gif.d43282914ce75ca6da858ae872aa4d60.gifukmonh-0-156.thumb.png.3a2d909b009b7c6664b745dc3471d431.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff
On 26/01/2022 at 15:43, phil b said:

Hi Guys not sure if this has been posted, on the Wetterzentrale site you can now view the ECM charts in 3hr increments rather than the usual 24hr, shame there's not much to look at the moment!

Just an update on this, we can now see the 06z and the 18z ECM although only up to 90hrs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

The UKMO at day 6(144hrs) looking good here if i am not mistaken with a more pronounced trough to the NW with tpv not as strong over N Canada allowing a better ridge into Labrador,...lets see how the UKMO 168 looks like soon.

12z 144 vs 00z 156...

UN144-21.thumb.gif.d43282914ce75ca6da858ae872aa4d60.gifukmonh-0-156.thumb.png.3a2d909b009b7c6664b745dc3471d431.png

it looks ok,lets not hope it turns out too west based

Posted

bit of a slower evolution on the 12z,but looks to be heading the same route!..with a horrible looking PV like that at 204h,its about the best we can hope for in terms of cold!

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
adding text

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

UKMO 168

745056166_ukmonh-0-168(1).thumb.png.612f715bfa54d6e5a1c232810d644bb8.png386011707_ukmonh-1-168(1).thumb.png.86de19e868d30a2d9eeae667758ca031.png

• Like 6

Posted

UKMO looking better than the GFS at 168, with a little more Atlantic amplification. The PV cut off to our north is also elongated so that should have a longer draw of colder air when it swings past.

A1DA6C30-828F-4072-81EF-5822CFE028B4.png

401AB4B1-39E9-4A9E-8215-C2F2F4D62175.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted

omg the consistency between the 6z and 12z at 240,almost idenctical! never seen like it.thought we was in for another shot from the northwest at 240,but the low moves eastward rather then SE!

Edited by Lukesluckybunch
adding
  • Like 2

Posted

Day 10 is way in FI, last run there was a LP at Newfoundland at T270, the 12z now has a HP ??‍♂️ at 264 . The actual charts look like that should be the other way round!! 

741E0388-9603-409C-9622-AA0B3FCE0095.png

D2A7CA31-57A7-4B2E-B76E-8C0F90F6CA4A.png

The cold associated to our NW is epic though, bring that in a PM flow at the snow would surely come!! 

E55E198E-CD84-488C-BFD1-6B3DFA58EA0A.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
3 hours ago, bluearmy said:

The models seem to finally be moving onto the ‘wild ride’ i expected to begin a few days ago ….. it will only be about 10 days late ! 

whether we see this verify remains uncertain and we could still retain the displaced ridge across the south of the U.K. 

I don’t think so, it seems the first bite (LO diving NW/SE) I foresaw isn’t as pronounced but is occurring.  The second one in early Feb is getting back into favour with stormy weather and very cold northerlies to follow.  This is the zone of pattern change to allow some decent cold spell to take hold latter half of Feb.   I’m pretty optimistic right now and I think NE to E’ly flow will persevere the latter half.  It’s a little ramp but I’m liking very much what I’m seeing (but I’ll water down the depth of cold as the storminess isn’t looking as potentially severe as I thought).

BFTP 

• Like 4

Posted

The pressure charts looks fairly innocuous, but here comes that frigid PM air. 

B6E58428-D67F-4BA0-A11A-64435FF7A465.png

1EF4A973-3C21-4E1C-A4F4-D5C688ECF6F2.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted

FI, but that’s a good looking NH going forward. Look at that WAA blasting in from Alaska

BDF8FB11-B41B-4C74-A0CA-21E30757B668.png

• Like 3

Posted

All the forcing coming from the Polar Vortex to the NW and its interaction with the jetstream. Fine margins but there is a strong chance some of its frigid cold will be ebbed our way..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

FI, but that’s a good looking NH going forward. Look at that WAA blasting in from Alaska

BDF8FB11-B41B-4C74-A0CA-21E30757B668.png

Reminds me of charts  back in January 2014.. WAA in a similar place..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

UKMO not too bad,but that azores high is a feature at 144! we need that sinking south!

Would we want an Azores high to go south for cold weather? Migrating north would be better I'd have thought: if an Azores high becomes a mid-Atlantic high then we might be in with the chance for some northerlies.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
1 hour ago, Stu_London said:

Looks like the model output discussion has sprung back into life spurred on by some improvements (from a cold perspective) to this morning's model output.

Still all in FI and the nature of cold zonality is that favoured spots tend to do well, whereas a lot areas do not either because they are too sheltered or more likely to the south, some marginality creeps in.

I, for one, will welcome the change from anticyclonic gloom that seems to have gone for ever.

Yes, for down here "cold zonality" is usually an oxymoron in winter; setups described as such are almost invariably wet and not particularly cold, indeed rather milder than average.To get cold weather out of an 'Atlantic' setup we need strong meridionality, a NW-SE path to the lows at the very least, something like late January 2015.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

For me, a bog-standard north westerly in winter will often bring in uppers of -5C to -7C, maybe a touch lower briefly. However this set up looks a bit colder than this and some of the ensembles are significantly colder, so potentially an interesting set up, albeit a long way from verifying at present.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
12 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Would we want an Azores high to go south for cold weather? Migrating north would be better I'd have thought: if an Azores high becomes a mid-Atlantic high then we might be in with the chance for some northerlies.

Usually yes however given the current parameters this can't happen as the PV is too strong. Plus we've already had multiple attempts at this evolution. So at this juncture it going south and resetting the pattern is much better if we can tap into the cold Polar Maritime air from a NW direction. 

Maybe then down the road we could benefit from an Arctic High as Any ridging attempts towards Scandi/Greenland will likely be flattened out by the strong jet stream. 

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Reminds me of charts  back in January 2014.. WAA in a similar place..

Do you mean 1984 or 2015, similarities with them rather than 2014. Yes possibly a potent shot of polar maritime air on the cards from 4th Feb onwards, still over a week though..  let's see if ECM continues the theme.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Summerstorm said:

Usually yes however given the current parameters this can't happen as the PV is too strong. Plus we've already had multiple attempts at this evolution. So at this juncture it going south and resetting the pattern is much better if we can tap into the cold Polar Maritime air from a NW direction. 

Maybe then down the road we could benefit from an Arctic High as Any ridging attempts towards Scandi/Greenland will likely be flattened out by the strong jet stream. 

So in essence we have to transition through a period of more cyclonic before we can have a chance at cold, as the jet stream has to sink south over us first before it can go further south still?

Danger I guess from that is the jet stream just gets stuck over us and we just end up, particularly down here, with much wind and rain?

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
22 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

So in essence we have to transition through a period of more cyclonic before we can have a chance at cold, as the jet stream has to sink south over us first before it can go further south still?

Danger I guess from that is the jet stream just gets stuck over us and we just end up, particularly down here, with much wind and rain?

Yep, the forecast Jet shown on the UKMO extended remains zonal. Pm air mass will be modified especially for Southern Britain. Colder uppers into the Northern half, although not especially cold at this stage would be lower enough for some wintry precipitation on the hills over Northern United Kingdom.  Very difficult to forecast 850mb temps that far out though. 

C

UKMHDOPEU12_168_21.png

• Like 2