Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
1 hour ago, Rufus Butterfield said:

Must be to do with how dry some of these heatwaves have been recently, maybe. Because you need moisture. Though if they’re elevated it doesn’t really matter, but your classic surface based storms struggle to form. 

Even up until 2018, an overnight storm was almost always nailed on. The last few years has seen a change to more localised and less widespread storms.

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

Worst breakdown in history. It would be sad if it wasnt soo comical. 

Well I've always said on here if storms are forecast that means there won't be any.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
40 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

Worst breakdown in history. It would be sad if it wasnt soo comical. 

They get worse and worse. 40c and still a fizzle out to cloud and dry (as expected), its changed so much from yesteryear. I cant even get some rain 😑

Edited by James1979
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Even up until 2018, an overnight storm was almost always nailed on. The last few years has seen a change to more localised and less widespread storms.

I maintain it changed significantly around a dozen years ago but they've been in general decline for decades. So frustrating.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I will say most of the best storms I've witnessed were from MCS setups and to be frank I don't remember the last time we had one 

Edited by harrywhiterowoutdoors
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
10 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Canterbury is about to go bang

Gas leak?

• Like 9

Posted
41 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

There real difference this time was the heat was very dry, not our usual moisture laden plume. Thundery plumes normally have a high DP like around 18 - 20, there some moisture about that needs a trigger to pop. This time, although we got very hot, the lower levels were very dry, DP was only about 12, lower in some places. Hence even the cold front, which was an upper level one, with an upper low, couldn't get much moisture to ground level. So we ended up with dry storms, and not much rain along the front.

Thanks, appreciate the explanation  and understand the set up, it just seems whatever the set up it's a similar result these days from a plume, it's been a long time since a genuine intense storm for me so to keep enduring epic heat with no fireworks gets frustrating. Always next time eh?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting
6 minutes ago, PiscesStar said:

Is ia storm on the radar? it feels humid sand hot here in Herne Bay Kent 

There’s a beefy shower nearby, might see a bit of lightning

EB81F04D-AB2A-4B21-B660-A9C6BB1962E2.jpeg

Posted

A few showers going up along the Essex/Suffolk border. It currently feels like a Caribbean evening here, warm, humid with a strong breeze that hints that's something is brewing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning

I have to say I did kind of enjoy the sensation of the weather 'changing' both today and yesterday even if it ended up as drizzle.  What we need is some good old British surface based filth!... Another June 28 2012 if you will

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
16 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Storm starved?

this might help 🙂

https://edvl.de/edvl-webcam-live/

By some random process, you've helped me figure out what the streaming site was called.

I set something up last year, ready for when I got full fibre, but after getting it installed, I couldn't remember the name of the site.

I can embed my link on my website now, so there's no delay in updating a .jpg image, it's just straight rtsp:// link.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, James1979 said:

I maintain it changed significantly around a dozen years ago but they've been in general decline for decades. So frustrating.

It started becoming more noticeable during summer 2007. Until that year, a summer storm was usually a once a year or more event. I remember experiencing thunderstorms a lot more often in the 90s and early 2000s, and they were just as good as some 80s years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It started becoming more noticeable during summer 2007. Until that year, a summer storm was usually a once a year or more event. I remember experiencing thunderstorms a lot more often in the 90s and early 2000s, and they were just as good as some 80s years.

It's definitely noticeable; I've been in Norfolk since 1986 and the decline has been obvious since the late 1990s/early 2000s.

I usually dig out some of the really good Florida storms on YouTube, there's some with a good couple of hours worth of lightning, even the rainfall vids are worth watching at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
20 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes there has definitely been a decline. It's not just selective memory.

I remember MCS aplenty in the 1990s as a kid. I also remember those baking hot days, the build up of cumulus and then the eventual rumbling in the distance. 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I think a lot of it has to do with the moisture content.  What's also happened in those years gone by is a weaker than average (note not normal) as when the Atlantic does get going it's horrendous, but I think back to those wet summery days of 1990s-2000s and they were always wet.   I don't remember weather this dry on average. 

But I think the tide will turn and there's going to be some upcoming summers, we never wished we moaned about.

8 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yes there has definitely been a decline. It's not just selective memory.

I remember MCS aplenty in the 1990s as a kid. I also remember those baking hot days, the build up of cumulus and then the eventual rumbling in the distance. 

8 hours ago, Sunny76 said: