Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Driving rain here now with really quite strong winds - still fair bit of thunder and lightning 

I must be just a tad too south as it's dead still and medium rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

We had a decent amount of lightning in Tring (Hertfordshire) and some heavy bursts of rain. Surpassed my expectations, I thought this would be limited to London south-eastwards.

Hopefully a taste of what is to come for the summer ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Things are starting to pick up now, thunder getting more frequent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

Yeah, we just seem to be a bit too North on this occasion. Still early in Summer though. Might just even be as North as Peterborough by the looks of it

Glad I made the call not to set off after all as I had a hunch that at best it would be right on the coast in Lincolnshire and not worth the trip when it Is nothing of not.

On to the next chase.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I must be just a tad too south as it's dead still and medium rain.

And it's here now but no over head lighting yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Still going on here - when you think it’s passing another wave of heavy rain moves with more lightning. Need to go bed soon though sadly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well not bad from what i originally thought that we were going to miss all activity here in herts. Took some phone videos on an oldish phone, problems with focussing apart from standing in one position for long periods of time. Caught a few flashes, biggest one i missed but here is a screenshot showing how bright it was in one of the flashes..

871116997_Screenshot_20220519-000652_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.74e1272d71c74259e7efde85b10d65a9.jpg

Loved the buzz on this forum tonite, hard to keep up with all the posts and looking at the sky also, It was electric....looking forward to watching the videos tomorrow. Well done guys, those at home and those chasing...till next time...

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

Glad I made the call not to set off after all as I had a hunch that at best it would be right on the coast in Lincolnshire and not worth the trip when it Is nothing of not.

On to the next chase.

Will wait for those classic Lincolnshire home grown storms, always wondered what makes Lincolnshire a hot spot. I'm sure someone explained the reason on here before

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

8 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

We had a few last year but only short lived ones. Still some impressive moments though and some very close calls in terms of lightning strikes.  And it's only half way through May as well

I'm wondering if some of the storms I had in Lincoln last year were localised or maybe you missed some of the daytime homegrowns due to being away or in an office?  I remember some pretty potent ones in May and July last year, with a total of 5 days with thunder in May and 7 in July.  On 16 May 2021 I noted a spell of heavy hail and thunder and lightning and the University of Lincoln recorded about 40mm in an hour.  3 July was probably the largest one, which went on for a good few hours, when I managed to catch a lightning strike near the cathedral on video, there were also a couple on 4 July.  This time last year I was on 4 thunder days, this year I'm on 0.

It's true that we didn't get many imports last year though, and none before June.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Just finishing up the best (short) storm in perhaps  years, sadly didnt capture any of the close cgs (just a tiddler per attached) but certainly enjoyed them albeit a bit close for comfort!! Must be around 40 flashes a minute. Thanks weather gods, finally!!

Screenshot_20220519-002902_Gallery.jpg

Edited by James1979
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

If I can be bothered to find out, I may be able to see some distant flashes on the horizon to the SW towards Ely.

This counts as an epic storm. 

Posted

so frustrating living in Cheshire when it comes to storms...no thunder heard since August 2020...and missing out again tonight while South enjoy them all again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
Just now, TJS1998Tom said:

50 miles North please, lol

image.png

Nah, 40 miles east please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Off to bed with occasional lightning flashes lighting up the room. Very grateful in the end as I was so close to that evil gap between the eastern and western systems.

Pleased it ended up covering such a wide area - look forward to seeing all the videos!

And it’s only May

Night y’all

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Really picking up here now!

Posted

Was overhead with constant flashes and some booming thunder for about 5 minutes and now moving off. Hopefully we'll get round 2. Wish this had come a couple of hours earlier as I'm fighting sleep now!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Azuremoon2 said:

so frustrating living in Cheshire when it comes to storms...no thunder heard since August 2020...and missing out again tonight while South enjoy them all again.

Broke a 4 year drought tonight. Your time will come

Posted

Wow this lightning is bright! It’s all going a bit mad!