Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted

Looking at GFS, models showing hints of heat returning first week of June with also the hint of storms. So around then could be the next time to look for any storm potential though of course it's still too early yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 19/05/2022 at 03:54, Southern Storm said:

Good morning storm fans

I'm finally back after my trip to find some stormage

Mother nature in all her glory!

I took the decision to travel east of my usual stomping around, as it wasn't looking all that promising for my area (Christchurch)

I ended up in Worthing as it looked like it had a decent chance of getting a storm and boy did it! 

It was also nice to meet some other storm fans, many of them also taking photos, and taking it all in 

It was well worth the 2 hour journey, even if my home town did end up with a storm anyway, but probably just to early to get an photos

I'm looking forward to going back and reading through the thread to see how the evening infolded, should be a great read after getting some sleep 

I did film a fair part of the storm, but need to download, and maybe edit it, I'll try and upload it later today if I have time

801A4561.jpg

801A4684.jpg

801A4556.jpg

801A4706.jpg

801A4577.jpg

801A4605.jpg

801A4574.jpg

Wow-wee! Just catching up with some of Wednesday's action in here as I've been so busy since! That penultimate shot is quite something! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
7 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Wow-wee! Just catching up with some of Wednesday's action in here as I've been so busy since! That penultimate shot is quite something! 

Thanks

It was incredible to see first hand, and almost felt like it was right in front of us.

I few of the people a have shown it to think it's fake  

still have to download some of the footage off my camera, hopefully there is some other decent captures on there

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Took a while but it's finally here. Video of the storm

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

very nice photos

That first one is amazing, you can clearly see where it strikes  

Was that Wednesdays storm, or the one at the beginning of the week Or last Saturdays? 

..... Yes we have been spoiled down here I don't think I can remember having such a stormy period so early in the season, if not ever!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
57 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

very nice photos

That first one is amazing, you can clearly see where it strikes  

Was that Wednesdays storm, or the one at the beginning of the week Or last Saturdays? 

..... Yes we have been spoiled down here I don't think I can remember having such a stormy period so early in the season, if not ever!

Thank you! All Wednesday's on that post. That crisp CG landed offshore of Ventnor on the south of the island.

We certainly have been spoiled this week, and that's the first time I've ever felt that way in this country! 

I hope this isn't another 2018 and that's basically our lot down here for the year now!

I know they've all been elevated of course, but it's so strange to have had two nights of plume storms without experiencing a single hot spell of weather before either of them! This has certainly been a unique week of weather and made up for the incredibly boring March and April!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Only really catching up as i've been a bit busy but some brilliant footage and photos of the storms from the past few days really enjoyed watching them and can only hope us in the Midlands eventually see some storms this year as good as these

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
17 minutes ago, Row w said:

Only really catching up as i've been a bit busy but some brilliant footage and photos of the storms from the past few days really enjoyed watching them and can only hope us in the Midlands eventually see some storms this year as good as these

And for us here in Wales!

There hasn't been anything since early January here when I got woken up between around 4:30AM in the morning by some rumbles, to see that there was a shower with the odd flash of lightning in the distance to the north.

The last week or so has been very frustrating with nearly a week of potential but everything stayed to the south or east and anything that was imported had died out by the time it got here and just produced rain showers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
6 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

Thanks

It was incredible to see first hand, and almost felt like it was right in front of us.

I few of the people a have shown it to think it's fake  

still have to download some of the footage off my camera, hopefully there is some other decent captures on there

I can vouch for this and it's definitely not fake! I was on the top of the downs just north of Hove watching this come in off the channel and some of the lightning was phenomenal! Some great shots you got there bud,nice one!! 

Posted
5 hours ago, Lance M said:

Finally got around to editing all of my shots from the other night, and it was slim pickings tbh!

Here again is the one I'm super proud of and posted on the night itself:

DSC_1108.thumb.jpg.3dbb89dc620bb1a2bddd9bd6f5e87f12.jpg

For comparison/honesty, here is the raindrop-filled uncropped version, with a slightly different edit of the bolt itself!

DSC_1108.thumb.jpg.fed7534e0670638e3aed3f244f68f2e6.jpg

Not long after that bolt, came this, and clearly I'd sorted the raindrops between shots:

DSC_1120.thumb.jpg.cff6a704e6923fb3729aeea4f481614a.jpg

And here are the others that just made the cut, they're ok-ish I guess!

DSC_1139.thumb.jpg.31a4d7640bc12ccdf0ee3f540c073910.jpgDSC_1152.thumb.jpg.06373dbc862997b7b10c04df8d803425.jpg

Great shots there Lance. The cg is an awesome photo!! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 19/05/2022 at 15:56, tomp456 said:

It was mostly out in the channel followed by a direct hit towards the Eastbourne - Hastings area. I was on Worthing Pier watching the lightning for a good 2 hours. 

I was at Birling gap near Eastbourne that night after watching it roll in from Hove seafront and it was absolutely insane there! Eastbourne took a direct hit! 

Posted

Still going through footage from the other night,

Interesting structure with an inflow tail and what looks like a potential wall cloud as the webcam looked west in the early hours.

Not sure if it was a supercell or general cloud funkiness but thought I'd post it here anyway, probably the latter!

image.thumb.png.f598bc7c5f0fa3c9dc68a662049bec5a.png

image.thumb.png.33ef9c63723324797a3996e5cc8054ea.png

And another video with my phone.

VID_20220519_003117_Moment.thumb.jpg.d54bdc779a01dee00905e4d7baec61c1.jpg

I had a little look at my garden footage from the camera that I've got and it caught this.

image.thumb.png.6cdad5bb7034599de15666f7f0986f1d.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
33 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Still going through footage from the other night,

Interesting structure with an inflow tail and what looks like a potential wall cloud as the webcam looked west in the early hours.

Not sure if it was a supercell or general cloud funkiness but thought I'd post it here anyway, probably the latter!

image.thumb.png.f598bc7c5f0fa3c9dc68a662049bec5a.png

image.thumb.png.33ef9c63723324797a3996e5cc8054ea.png

And another video with my phone.

VID_20220519_003117_Moment.thumb.jpg.d54bdc779a01dee00905e4d7baec61c1.jpg

I had a little look at my garden footage from the camera that I've got and it caught this.

image.thumb.png.6cdad5bb7034599de15666f7f0986f1d.png

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was a Supercell, I was watching and it was much stronger than the Storm that had just passed to my East, cannot confirm Supercell but can confirm more erratic Storm motions than any of the other cell's near me suggesting at times a surge in inflow not uncommon with a Supercell. However, Supercell's need a persistent rotating updraft and with my vantage point there was none although I couldn't tell you exactly as it was night. 

Just realised we were likely under two different Storm areas but my point still stands. Looking at radar and I wouldn't suggest it was a Supercell but radar won't pick that up unless it's a profound Supercell anyway. Hard to tell just from videos and pictures but I would suggest what I said earlier that it was a sudden surge in inflow that caused that part of the Storm to tail back with the potential for a Supercell but I think it's only the potential.

• Like 1

Posted
39 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was a Supercell, I was watching and it was much stronger than the Storm that had just passed to my East, cannot confirm Supercell but can confirm more erratic Storm motions than any of the other cell's near me suggesting at times a surge in inflow not uncommon with a Supercell. However, Supercell's need a persistent rotating updraft and with my vantage point there was none although I couldn't tell you exactly as it was night. 

Just realised we were likely under two different Storm areas but my point still stands. Looking at radar and I wouldn't suggest it was a Supercell but radar won't pick that up unless it's a profound Supercell anyway. Hard to tell just from videos and pictures but I would suggest what I said earlier that it was a sudden surge in inflow that caused that part of the Storm to tail back with the potential for a Supercell but I think it's only the potential.

Aye, it was probably a transitioned MCS with characteristics of one that's passed by. Never seen it about near here like that before. 

• Like 1

Posted

Look at this lot. The entire sky is full of it! If I didn't already know otherwise, I'd be thinking there's a chance of another plume tonight!

241053009_IMG_20220522_1348512.thumb.jpg.571d3f587fcc853d03a3314d2380c6f3.jpg5132653_IMG_20220522_1348582.thumb.jpg.b191d0111e1ae6335bfbeb83b47821b9.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
49 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Look at this lot. The entire sky is full of it! If I didn't already know otherwise, I'd be thinking there's a chance of another plume tonight!

241053009_IMG_20220522_1348512.thumb.jpg.571d3f587fcc853d03a3314d2380c6f3.jpg5132653_IMG_20220522_1348582.thumb.jpg.b191d0111e1ae6335bfbeb83b47821b9.jpg

Definitely looks unstable there, shame there's nothing really to come of it. 

image.thumb.png.17c64b007e8b7fd0d218069b24de68cb.png

I see a bit of Theta-W nudges into Kent in the early hours of tomorrow but only rain to come with it! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No instability out there, it's actually very stable. Those are Altocumulus clouds rather AcCas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

My YouTube video is out ! Took me a day but the old one I forgot to save! Also I can’t turn on comment’s because at the beginning I did not want them and I turned them off but now I can’t turn them on again because I don’t know where it is! Hopefully the comments will be on soon with some simple research  

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

My YouTube video is out ! Took me a day but the old one I forgot to save! Also I can’t turn on comment’s because at the beginning I did not want them and I turned them off but now I can’t turn them on again because I don’t know where it is! Hopefully the comments will be on soon with some simple research  

That's fantastic nice video there. I could feel the anticipation with your build up. Nice one chap!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Some amazing pics and video in here.

just re-posting these for posterity as they got a bit lost in the shuffle but I’ve never seen a storm here go from nothing to what you see in my videos within seconds. Unreal.

AE6DF24B-BD35-4D6A-AB97-99DFEC8729FD.jpeg

3A1E6190-5357-4CC5-8D0A-9B2E8A38CE3C.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1