Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st May 2022 onwards

Posted
4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Here's the total event then 

archive_7_image.thumb.png.5de36a2c7b0df970ec6d73b2ec6915df.png

Alternatively a little more detailed and illustrating the channel island storm passing to the se of London and very much reducing its intensity 

5D8B5457-6CC1-44F2-B949-D8F3E819E850.thumb.jpeg.06ed5c46b7e1016dc4651118f9347c8a.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
19 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Alternatively a little more detailed and illustrating the channel island storm passing to the se of London and very much reducing its intensity 

5D8B5457-6CC1-44F2-B949-D8F3E819E850.thumb.jpeg.06ed5c46b7e1016dc4651118f9347c8a.jpeg

Yep, nothing memorable in London - a couple of flashes around midnight here in SW London but not a great event for Londoners.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

After seeing the first load of rain seem to fragment, went to sleep not thinking much.

Got a lovely surprise just before midnight, wasn't a total direct hit as could  see loads of flashes in front of my house (so i could lay down the watch from bed lol).

Even the cat was thoughtful enough to wake me up so i wouldn't miss it! 

Was over quite quickly, but yay first thunderstorm of the year.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The extremes!
4 hours ago, Sprites said:

Bit of a close one earlier, the lightning was quite infrequent but did shoot orange sparks from a telephone pole out of shot on the left about 20 feet away. The surge must of travelled down the cable from the strike on the right side of the frame. 

Luckily I was sheltering from the rain, 10 mins earlier I was outside the car with tripod setup.

Jeez that's certainly closer than you'd like to be!!! What a capture though

• Thanks 1

Posted

Last night was wild.

I watched the storm over Salisbury way which was producing the odd anvil crawler every minute or so and decided to try and get a couple of long exposures on my DSLR. As soon I set the camera up, the storm died a death. Classic.

I was getting ready for bed, not expecting anything else and having a smoke outside. The sky was dark and calm. No sign of anything at all when suddenly the sky began strobing to my South East. I've never seen anything like that. Even with the Bournemouth Supercell of 2015 or the amazing night of July 2019, there was a gradual ramp up of lightning activity. Last night it just went straight War of the Worlds instantaneously.

I would be fascinated to see what these storms would've looked like in daylight hours.

The past few days have topped all the years since 2019 combined here and it's still spring. I've probably used up my quota for the next five years now.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Last night’s activity over Cambourne Cambridge 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild

Well we had a storm..from 3.00am until 3.15am  

Was hoping for more but moved on very quickly. Lots of rain followed but almost dry at 6am.

Given the way the forecast waivered just before the event started I’m pretty happy that we again got a decentish storm by our standards (not as good as sunday but nothing to be sniffed at) certainly can’t remember the last time we had two overhead storms with 4 days of each other.

Seen more lightning since Sunday than many of the entire recent summers on their own so I’m happy  

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Last night was wild.

I watched the storm over Salisbury way which was producing the odd anvil crawler every minute or so and decided to try and get a couple of long exposures on my DSLR. As soon I set the camera up, the storm died a death. Classic.

I was getting ready for bed, not expecting anything else and having a smoke outside. The sky was dark and calm. No sign of anything at all when suddenly the sky began strobing to my South East. I've never seen anything like that. Even with the Bournemouth Supercell of 2015 or the amazing night of July 2019, there was a gradual ramp up of lightning activity. Last night it just went straight War of the Worlds instantaneously.

I would be fascinated to see what these storms would've looked like in daylight hours.

The past few days have topped all the years since 2019 combined here and it's still spring. I've probably used up my quota for the next five years now.

The storm was about 10- 15 miles away, driving under it I saw anvil crawlers, and flashing strobe lightning all over. Got to Basingstoke and once i found a good place to park the rain was biblical. My original plan was to get to Alton just to east of Winchester but i made the right choice and hold out in Basingstoke. I did start to re-chase the storms but they were moving at some speed so gave up. 

Edited by thunderhead 2005
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
5 hours ago, Southern Storm said:

Good morning storm fans

I'm finally back after my trip to find some stormage

Mother nature in all her glory!

I took the decision to travel east of my usual stomping around, as it wasn't looking all that promising for my area (Christchurch)

I ended up in Worthing as it looked like it had a decent chance of getting a storm and boy did it! 

It was also nice to meet some other storm fans, many of them also taking photos, and taking it all in 

It was well worth the 2 hour journey, even if my home town did end up with a storm anyway, but probably just to early to get an photos

I'm looking forward to going back and reading through the thread to see how the evening infolded, should be a great read after getting some sleep 

I did film a fair part of the storm, but need to download, and maybe edit it, I'll try and upload it later today if I have time

801A4561.jpg

801A4684.jpg

801A4556.jpg

801A4706.jpg

801A4577.jpg

801A4605.jpg

801A4574.jpg

What fantastic pictures. One of the great spots sitting at the end of Worthing Pier terrace bar with a pint and watching French imports. Done it many times when I lived down there.

C

• Like 4

Posted

It was a dramatic thunderstorm yesterday late evening with very frequent lightning and continuous thunder; some heavy rain. I lost broadband and TV signals, also our water went off, for a time.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.

Morning all hope everyone is good and those who were out enjoyed the show last night! Apologies for the long post but I have to say that last night was pretty special here in Sussex,I was up on the top of the downs just north of Hove and saw hundreds of lightning strikes moving in from the channel,I knew it was going to be a direct hit and would have been pretty dodgy exposed up there so I drove back to where I live and walked up to the park 50 yards up the road and the strongest part of the storm came right over. As it came on to the coast it seemed to take on a bowing segment on radar and we had some fierce wind gusts and horizontal rain. Saw probably one of the best CGs I've ever seen as I was retreating back to my workshop the thunder was explosive and shook the ground! Unfortunately I didn't get it on film as it was lashing it down with rain but was certainly a monster strike! Had a tiny little elevated storm an hour after the main event which passed right overhead and threw out about 20 or 30 strikes in a few minutes so a nice little bonus too! I've watched storms closely for a long time now and it was probably the best storm here since July 2017 which is the best I've ever seen here by far and on both occasions I only had to cover 12miles in the car so I'll Bank that definitely! To those who travelled to Sussex last night,well done we hit the jackpot here!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Best Storm here since 2017, maybe even better. At it's height lightning every couple of seconds from one Storm that passed east of here but that wasn't the maim event really. The main event was when a Storm came right over me and every 20 to 30 seconds large CC and CG lightning would fill the sky flickering on and off for seconds at a time and even managed loud rumbles of thunder quite far away so I would suggest positive lightning at least once somewhere near here but hard to tell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Great night.

Screenshot_20220519-010628_Video Player.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
9 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

??‍♂️ 

Looks decent off the Lincolnshire coast at the moment!! Hunstanton cams picking a bit of it up when it faces the right way! 

I remember when I was at Skegness in 2019 when there was some massive storms just off the coast and over Norfolk you could see the sky lighting up from the tops of the clouds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Got a few bangs of thunder and lightning but it wasn't active enough for me to start recording, but it was nice to experience again after not seeing for a long time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

An unexpectedly fun evening. Got this great clip of a CG looking towards Aylesbury...

That's monstrous mate what a brilliant shot!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

A good storm. Not the best - a little too quick, too wet and very elevated. Also shame it didn’t stick around as it headed NE

evening was further blighted after Her Magesty’s Unfinest pulled me over just as I got home AT 3AM after going through a light that went red at the last minute. Apparently they would rather I slammed my brakes on and aquaplaned on the wet road.

What a great bunch of guys - shame they don’t understand basic science, and took £100 from me for basically just being there. Also just in case the police are reading this - don’t talk to me like I am your mate - you pulled me over because you were on a power trip. I am not your mate.

apologies but it’s really upset me. Good storm though. Might not chase in future though because it’s now cost me a small fortune  

Went red at the last minute!

Don't worry about the 4 to 6 second amber warning you got !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
Just now, chapmanslade said:

Went red at the last minute!

Don't worry about the 4 to 6 second amber warning you got !

It was amber is what I mean. You have to go up a hill to approach the lights. They go green, but after about 4 seconds the amber suddenly comes on. By then you’re accelerating up a hill to the brow on a soaking wet road. Braking hard just seemed like a silly thing to do in the circumstances, considering my car is lighter and less grip on the tires as it goes over. I dunno maybe you would have done different.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 minutes ago, Woodboss said:

That's monstrous mate what a brilliant shot!

Cheers! We had literally been sat there for 2 minutes haha.

• Like 2