Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
25 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Quite the sunset tonight! I do love this time of year. Winter is a distant memory right now and the longer it stays one, the better (however, the situation is getting desperate, lack of rainfall wise, so some downpours would go down very well).

Finished123.thumb.jpg.30b70564734f76764e82ad1a82a8df03.jpg

There is a definate psychological embedded summer state of mind that tends to find its deepest level around this time of year, lasting roughly until about second week of August, what you might describe as high summer. It tends to coincide with the warmest weather of the year on average, by second week of August a subtle shift takes place I believed aided primarily by the loss of light and thoughts turn to the autumn. These are the 'dog day's, natural rythms slow us down, and productivity probably ebbs to lowest, at the opposite end of the year we see the January doldrums and winter blues when again there is a hiberation state of mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
16 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Isn't the grass actually fine for a very long time when it's yellow though. It certainly recovered easily enough by Autumn 2018.

As for today pretty much the perfect summer's day. 28C sunny all day with the odd bit of whispy high cloud.

We had patches of grass completely scorched here that took until the following year to replenish fully.

Was walking back from work earlier and were close to a 2018 looking situation again. Grassy areas are looking more like straw than grass. 

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

We had patches of grass completely scorched here that took until the following year to replenish fully.

Was walking back from work earlier and were close to a 2018 looking situation again. Grassy areas are looking more like straw than grass. 

Grass recovers very quickly, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
24 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Isn't the grass actually fine for a very long time when it's yellow though. It certainly recovered easily enough by Autumn 2018.

As for today pretty much the perfect summer's day. 28C sunny all day with the odd bit of whispy high cloud.

Yes, but I wasn't sure how long it could stay like that, plus it was bushes and small trees as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Grass in the UK is typically a winter rye (cold weather grass) - it's normal for it to scorch easily in dry periods even in cool summer like the UK's (compared to global standards), and it recovers fast.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

This summer is a looooong way off 2018. It's certainly been above average I'd say, but can't hold a single candle to 2018. May was meh this year, and June was 'okay'. 2018 was pretty much wall to wall sun, dry and warm for over two months straight. The grass looks dry I grant you, but the reservoirs are still nowhere near as dry.

If it's still like this at the start of September, we can compare the summers. This summer is looking much more like 2013, very similar actually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Grass in the UK is typically a winter rye (cold weather grass) - it's normal for it to scorch easily in dry periods even in a cool summer like the UK's, and it recovers fast.

Wild grass or lawns?

Posted
3 minutes ago, SunnyPlease said:

This summer is a looooong way off 2018. It's certainly been above average I'd say, but can't hold a single candle to 2018. May was meh this year, and June was 'okay'. 2018 was pretty much wall to wall sun, dry and warm for over two months straight. The grass looks dry I grant you, but the reservoirs are still nowhere near as dry.

If it's still like this at the start of September, we can compare the summers. This summer is looking much more like 2013, very similar actually.

I can’t speak for elsewhere but there’s been precious little rain here in S Cheshire for a long while. Even the unsettled blips have seen us miss most.

I could take photos of how arid things are looking and you’d soon see.

Edited by CreweCold

9 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Grass recovers very quickly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Took less then a week after august 2020

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I can’t speak for elsewhere but there’s been precious little rain here in S Cheshire for a long while. Even the unsettled blips have seen us miss most.

A notable feature of the weather since Dec 2020, is the propensity for lengthy very dry periods interspersed with shorter lived bursts of wetter weather, the dry period lasting upwards of 2 weeks and the wet spells a week or so at best. We had a wet last week to June after a dry period, the last week has been dry and the upcoming week looks bone dry, yet again another fortnight of dry weather, get ready for the burst of wet weather some stage latter part of July. Lost count of the number of times this has happened.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
7 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Wild grass or lawns?

Both are mostly varieties suited to cold wet weather. Discussing it with folks living in the US south, appears their grass doesn't scorch easily in extended hot dry periods, from their observations.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

A notable feature of the weather since Dec 2020, is the propensity for lengthy very dry periods interspersed with shorter lived bursts of wetter weather, the dry period lasting upwards of 2 weeks and the wet spells a week or so at best. We had a wet last week to June after a dry period, the last week has been dry and the upcoming week looks bone dry, yet again another fortnight of dry weather, get ready for the burst of wet weather some stage latter part of July. Lost count of the number of times this has happened.

Yes and in those wet periods we haven’t been able to capitalise here. So now soil is baked solid with a looser dust layer on top. It’s bone dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
9 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Wild grass or lawns?

Grass will recover after a hot spell, it is quite resilient, and if your lawn is rye grass ure in trouble

Edited by Wold Topper

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Scotland and NI had their hottest days of the year so far today - 27.3°c in Aboyne for Scotland and 24.3°c in County Fermanagh for Northern Ireland. Top temperature today was 29.5°c - recorded in London and Wisley, Surrey.

skynews-hyde-park-heat-summer_5830488.jp
NEWS.SKY.COM

"There is now a worrying 10% chance that 40C (104F) will be reached for the first time in the UK," said Sky News weather producer Joanna Robinson.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
2 hours ago, SunnyPlease said:

It's preferences isn't it. If you don't like constant heat, dryness and sun, I can understand why you wouldn't like it. For me though, it was an absolutely wonderful summer. We get drenched nearly the year round in this country so it was absolute bliss to virtually have no rain at all for a couple of months.

While I have almost the exact opposite preferences - certainly for temperatures - I absolutely appreciate how good it must feel to have things fall exactly as you want them and to stay that way for longer than you ever think possible.

As someone with strong sensory aversions to heat and light I just wish I could swap some of my hot sunny days for your cool cloudy ones, but of course weather doesn't work like that

Posted

We already have “straw grass” and this is before proper heatwave, getting quite reminiscent to 2018 now. 

Posted

Today feels like it’s going to be a scorcher. It’s already 24°c at Luton Airport and 23°c at London City Airport.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, danm said:

Today feels like it’s going to be a scorcher. It’s already 24°c at Luton Airport and 23°c at London City Airport.

You aren't wrong. Already 27c here at 10am! 

Posted

image.thumb.png.7c15e89dd8f0ad3e0bf882d4cf56ded6.png

Just to show how dry this airmass is...humidity this afternoon in the low to mid twenties in places.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Some unexpected high level cloud is moving over at the moment and the temperature is falling.

Posted
15 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

You aren't wrong. Already 27c here at 10am! 

Yes just checked, Luton now at 27°c and Stansted at 26°c. Heathrow at 25°c, so it looks like areas just to the north of London could see the hottest temperatures today. 

Posted
13 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Some unexpected high level cloud is moving over at the moment and the temperature is falling.

Not unexpected - this was forecast by models, gradually moving SE through the day:

image.thumb.png.225c33233fc66e3b5e979afc3797a824.pngimage.thumb.png.6d130d101c70f2667b7cf97a6cbd727b.pngimage.thumb.png.ea956610a984cce4d1f8cbff9473e837.pngimage.thumb.png.6a2372fa948d981cccb7fe14faab4f32.png 

Posted

Already 31C in NE England. High cloud will make things hazier later in the day, but would think 33C is pretty much guaranteed, possibly a 34C.