Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

It shows how good this Summer as been when Chris above as not really had a moan at all...Good on ya lad I'm proud of ya  👏 

Like he points out the GFS 6Z is an absolute peach if you want a continuation of summary conditions..It looks to me after a slight blip this week the run up towards Bank Holiday gets better and better,and this pattern could be in control for some time. When will this pattern break? 

I'm shocked by my surroundings today...theres some strange stuff in the sky and I'm not used to it 🤣

Seriously though its bliss for a cooler day today and very much welcome by many 😀 

gfs-0-120.png

gfs-0-156.png

gfs-0-216.png

gfs-0-234.png

gfs-0-258.png

gfs-0-264.png

gfs-0-270.png

20220815_135548.jpg

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I said several weeks back about several bites at the cherry regarding Heat...well this looks like the every growing bites at the cherry....we r gonna need a bigger fruit...perhaps a grapefruit 🤣

Gorra feeling @jon snow is gonna be bigging this up before much longer 😉 and @tight isobaris Gonna be saying I told ya so 🤣 only joking mate.

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-1-252.png

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I said several weeks back about several bites at the cherry regarding Heat...well this looks like the every growing bites at the cherry....we r gonna need a bigger fruit...perhaps a grapefruit 🤣

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-1-252.png

The only real saving grace for those that don't like the heat is that Europe is SOOO dry now there's absolutely no humidity to advect in. Normally that set-up would be 20C DPs. 

In the South for next week GFS has

Wed 33C

Thurs 35C

Fri 35C

Sat 35C (edit 37C)

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
26 minutes ago, Alderc said:

35C next Thursday on the 12Z GFS.....

GFSOPUK12_246_48.thumb.png.3745f56f1a3d2180627c386d34fdbad5.png

settle for that! heat is where it belongs!

Posted

I'm binning the GFS 12z as a rogue run, nonsensical, nothing about it is plausible long term.. no jetstream whatsoever. How it kills the jet early next week and evaporates what is quite a deep low over Iceland is suspect, thereafter its just bizarre.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, damianslaw said:

I'm binning the GFS 12z as a rogue run, nonsensical, nothing about if is plausible long term.. no jetstream whatsoever. How it kills the jet early next week and evaporates what is quite a deep low over Iceland is suspect, thereafter its just bizarre.

Yeah that’s what many of us said in July and then again 3 weeks ago…….

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

I'm binning the GFS 12z as a rogue run, nonsensical, nothing about if is plausible long term.. no jetstream whatsoever. How it kills the jet early next week and evaporates what is quite a deep low over Iceland is suspect, thereafter its just bizarre.

It was similar to 06Z run and quite a few of those ensembles were almost identical to the 12Z run. Still its going to well into the upper quartile of ensembles, however as we've seen several times already those run have been the ones to come off. 

Welcome to the summer of the future (just now)

Posted
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'm binning the GFS 12z as a rogue run, nonsensical, nothing about it is plausible long term.. no jetstream whatsoever. How it kills the jet early next week and evaporates what is quite a deep low over Iceland is suspect, thereafter its just bizarre.

It’s in line with the longer term models and the signal that has been showing on the model suites for days. May be extreme but not in plausible, otherwise it wouldn’t show at all.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

It’s in line with the longer term models and the signal that has been showing on the model suites for days. May be extreme but not in plausible, otherwise it wouldn’t show at all.

I'd like to pinpoint where the jet would be on those charts, high pressure everywhere.. can't see where it would be. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Not really that nonsensical though is it..the Jet stream as been dead in the water for a long time...let's see if it gets ens support before binning it.

• Like 4

Posted

Here we go again for next week onwards south east low to mid 30s very warm nights, one run, but last few from gfs has shown hints, plus ECM if this comes of any rain we get before that will be pointless as it will all dry up, one of the greatest summers this is turning into 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I'd like to pinpoint where the jet would be on those charts, high pressure everywhere.. can't see where it would be. 

The Jetstream weakens and once again splits as per the study I posted a week or so ago. It splits and goes north of us and the Nordics and the other half goes into Southern Europe towards Turkey.

Same setup as countless times since last autumn.

It’s very visible on the 850 anoms.

Edited by seb
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Not really that nonsensical though is it..the Jet stream as been dead in the water for a long time...let's see if it gets ens support before binning it.

I can see the slightest of trough features I guess in mid Atlantic, but exceptionally weak. Just wonder what factors are triggering such a rapid rise in pressure after the temporary injection of lower heights and strengthened jet later this week.. surely needs a major trigger of sorts, it is suddenness of said change that has me questioning it.. the overall theme of a settling down I'm not questioning it's the extent of it I'm dubious on. A split jet would do it I guess. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Given its late summer, i'd say the GFS 12Z Ops run is up there with some of that crazy output from a month ago when it was spitting out 42-44C at times. Would also likely lead to a challenge of the Sept all time max (which to me always seemed a bit dodgy) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
9 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Horror birthday likely for me? GFS 384 goes out to the day before, 396 would be horrid

image.thumb.png.205ca27def5a1284bdd3895a9c5a65a3.png

Wait... we have the same birthday? August 31st always seems to be notably cold where I live. I think the only warm one I remember was in Spain!