Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Exceptional heat being pushed into southern UK is likely when the run updates on the GEM. The GFS as I know can be more accurate.

D1A02F8C-FD53-4ECB-931C-880E348389C9.jpeg

Posted
30 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Happy Monday . Looks like UKMO has come up with the best chart of the summer so far for you guys. Should be minimum cloud cover, especially for England and Wales.

C

UKMOPEU00_72_1.png

Looks a very brief continental influence though before the maritime influence returns.

The North West will be lucky to squeeze a couple of proper Summer days, with 100% cloud cover the norm. 

After brilliant 12 & 18Z runs this mornings GFS really shunts the warmer air out later next week, in fact the mean drops below average for a time before rapidly again. Not sure I like where the UKMO day 6chart is as would clear the warmth through as well. GEM and ICON look best for extended heat this morning. Still all of that is a long way and before then at least 6 very warm and sunny days across southern England. 

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Much much flatter this morning!!ecm ends current hot spell on tuesday!!we then look at what the azores high does thereafter!!

Would still be warm/very warm.

ECM0_120brw5.GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Much much flatter this morning!!ecm ends current hot spell on tuesday!!we then look at what the azores high does thereafter!!

Horrid ECM chart a T120. Everything much flatter really. 

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

ECM0_120brw5.GIF

Still very warm on that chart yes matt but i reckon a lot cooler for wednesday!!!infact all models seem to have flattened everything this morning compared to the last few days!!i expected this to be honest cos all those 40 degree charts were quite extreme lol!!heat will hopefully build in again thursday onwards!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM0_120brw5.GIF

Not really, the detail shows a stronger cold front pushing right across the country with cloud and rain for all…..

This is probably the most disappointing chart in the last week…

8DFE17D0-C33A-45E9-9CC5-C14F928D17C6.thumb.jpeg.eb136fb564126a7099d54f9aa90348d9.jpeg

Posted

Dreadful runs this morning for the North West. Barely squeezing one day of warm weather before the cool Atlantic returns. 

Talk of record breaking temperatures are pure fantasy.

• Like 1

Posted

The models are now starting to agree on the jet running over the top of next week's high putting us back to square one by Wednesday. The thundery low moving up from biscay has all but vanished..

Posted
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

The models are now starting to agree on the jet running over the top of next week's high putting us back to square one by Wednesday. The thundery low moving up from biscay has all but vanished..

The jet stream ruins everything for us in the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

An even flatter ECM 00z rolling out, which is surprising given it was already at the flatter end of yesterday’s EPS 12z spread.

This of course keeps the very warm to hot temps south focused but it may also have the effect of further delaying a breakdown because it still has the west of Iberia low staying well south and west compared to GFS and with a flatter pattern there’s less or a ‘reach-down’ by troughs to try and lift it northward.

Thats bad news for mainland Western Europe, where heat then persists even longer. This could also affect the UK but as usual we’re peripheral, looking for overlaps.

Still, re-amplification can’t be ruled out and as the ECM 12z of yesterday showed emphatically, it won’t take much to set up a high-end plume event.

Posted

Massive overreactions in here this morning, although I can't say I'm surprised by that! Still so much to be settled and it's one set of op runs. Let's see what the ensembles show- could well be outliers or at least out of sync with the means.

• Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Massive overreactions in here this morning, although I can't say I'm surprised by that! Still so much to be settled and it's one set of op runs. Let's see what the ensembles show- could well be outliers or at least out of sync with the means.

I really can’t see what’s changed. For days computer models have shown a weak cold front slipping south mid week to very briefly bring in cooler conditions before high pressure and warmer temperatures push back in from the south west. No difference this morning. Strength of that cold front and the possible plume later on are the only things that remain uncertain.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

And once again an amplification which stays at day 10 on ecm!!!still very useful weather before that!!

29 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

ECM0_120brw5.GIF

Matt here comes the heat at day 10 again!!!!!!!!!give it a blow from stoke man so we can push this thing into the reliable time frame!

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

I really can’t see what’s changed. For days computer models have shown a weak cold front slipping south mid week before high pressure and warmer temperatures push back in from the south west. No difference this morning. Strength of that cold front and the possible plume later on are the only things that remain uncertain.

I think there is probably a delay to the real heat from the ECM- but it still does eventually reach the UK. It never really gets here on the GFS run at all but taking a GFS op run as gospel at the moment is crazy given the amount of chopping and changing we've been getting from the GFS.

Posted
14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Dreadful runs this morning for the North West. Barely squeezing one day of warm weather before the cool Atlantic returns. 

I said this yesterday - it was very clear that a change was on its way from next Tuesday/Wednesday.

Still looks decent for the south and temperatures likely to hit 32c for a time.

• Like 2

Posted

Really strange transition on ECM from T192 to T216. But what do I know. Still a slow burning plume but the pattern is quite tentative. 

Main headline this morning: jet picking up slightly, northern areas less settled after mid-week.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I think there is probably a delay to the real heat from the ECM- but it still does eventually reach the UK. It never really gets here on the GFS run at all but taking a GFS op run as gospel at the moment is crazy given the amount of chopping and changing we've been getting from the GFS.

Things just moving a little more slowly but the pattern is the same. Still only very briefly cooler for many mid next week. Slower heat build thereafter may mean it’s more prolonged rather than a short sharp plume. Computer models often seem to move things along too quickly initially. Don’t know why.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Just taken my morning look-see at the BBC app: 16 straight days at 21C or above, so most of this morning adjectives do not apply!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

Just taken my morning look-see at the BBC app: 16 straight days at 21C or above, so most of this morning adjective do not apply!

Try Derry or Oban

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Those two statements do not link at all. Since when does a cooler spell for the NW marry up to the potential for record temperatures further south and east?

Some massive IMBY overreactions this morning.

• Like 4