Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
17 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I've commented many a time how lengthy very dry periods have historically been followee by abrupt very wet spells. Far too early to say if we are seeing such a change now, but the last week has been very wet for many, but not all. June 97, Apr 12 - good examples of sudden about turns from dry to wet..

June 97 is another one in which it then became dry again, for a while at least. That said there was a marked change to a more prolonged wet period at the start of Nov 97.

17 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Sept 76 also.. is this a 76 change? or a Sept 95 change, the latter was very wet but was followed by 20 months of mostly very dry! Difference is we are I would say 18 months plus into a dry period. 2021 was notably dry away from the SE.

Yes, 2021 definitely wasn't dry here, overall. April, September and November seemed to be the only significantly dry months, and up to mid-August it seemed wet.

Maybe that's an indication the coming months will be the opposite of 2021 with a dry SE and wet NW! 😉

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
34 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Have returned from a lengthy stay abroad this week, specifically on Thursday afternoon.

For me, one word describes the conditions since Thursday: October.

Classic changeable mid-autumn conditions is what it feels like to me; not sure if others agree or maybe just the fact that I've come back from a warmer and sunnier (though not necessarily drier - many downpours and storms since mid-Aug) Greece.

The clouds are very low-based, the air feels humid and the mornings and evenings have that damp, coldish feel typical of mid-autumn. Also when it rains (which admittedly it didn't do much, yesterday, but did on Thursday night) the damp on the ground hangs around for some time (many hours) afterwards, again something typical of the darker months.

Little evidence at all of drought. Travelling back from Gatwick to South Hampshire, no brown grass anywhere. Plenty of evidence of recent excessive rainfall though with pools of standing water hanging around. All in all summer feels like a distant memory and it feels a good four or five weeks later in the year than it actually is.

It has felt quite summery on my weeks holiday in Scarborough. Temp around 18-21°C with plenty of sunshine and quite high humidity. Not had that much rain either, didn’t need to wear a waterproof jacket once. Although the rain has been frequent it has been mostly light and not lasted very long, apart from Tuesday afternoon when the heavens opened for about 20 minutes during a thunderstorm. It has been a bit cool in the mornings and evenings, but you expect that.

Looking at the recent posts on here it looks like the last week has been a washout in most other parts of the country. I have obviously been very lucky. That said the east coast is one of the driest parts of the country, so it’s probably not that surprising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

More showers this afternoon Im than forecast. Weather apps now casting is useless. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Got my birthday party today and no rain was forecast. It is now torrential rain!!! I'm sorry but weather apps are now as useful as a cactus lined tampon!!!

• Like 3

Posted

The harvest moon is looking bright in a clear sky tonight but why does it seem the sky is clear at night but then clogs up with cloud by daytime? So annoying.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It is definitely starting to cool down now. For my neck of the woods, it looks like temps in the high teens are going to be more frequent from next Wednesday onwards, with some single digit nights being forecast as well. Next Friday is forecast to have a daytime temp of 16 degrees and a night time temp of 7 degrees. I love experiencing the gradual change in temps during spring and autumn.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
17 hours ago, TheOgre said:

The harvest moon is looking bright in a clear sky tonight but why does it seem the sky is clear at night but then clogs up with cloud by daytime? So annoying.

The Sun warms the air causing it to rise during the day. As a consequence local pressure falls encouraging water vapour to condense into cloud. 

This ties in with wind where the day can start calm before a breeze develops in the afternoon only to die down again at sunset. 

Annoying yes but not sods law thankfully!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So looking forward to finally enjoying some chilly nights later this week. Perfect excuse to light up the chimenea 😁 

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

So looking forward to finally enjoying some chilly nights later this week. Perfect excuse to light up the chimenea 😁 

Mellow misty mornings with the dew heavy... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

This September is shaping up to be far more interesting than last year's. I like a mixed September which is what this year is providing. 

We had some much needed rainfall last week, and this coming week will be providing us with some pleasant sunny days with cool (and hopefully) misty nights. Thankfully, temps are looking to be around average so it won't really be an extension of summer. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Well im off to Grand Canaria for 2 weeks today for a friends wedding, whilst im not a heat person it should be lovely out there with highs of 27-29C. Hopefully when I get back on 27th things will be looking very nicely autumnal for us as I do love the autumn weather and decent into winter!

Posted

In between the two lines of rain here and it's a comfy 21C with sunny spells. Absolutely fluked this as both BBC and Met O even as of now saying it should be raining now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

summer still going here..Autumn has been put on hold for a month..yet to see a ground frost here which usually occurs sometime in the last half of August and an air frost which usually happens by now also...managed to hit 27/28c yesterday and Saturday

• Like 2

Posted

Feeling warm and rather muggy today, and looks to be the last proper warm day for the time being if not for the rest of the year. Looking forward to some average temps over the next week or so, with some cool misty mornings and dew on the grass. 

Hello autumn. 🍁🍂

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

summer still going here..Autumn has been put on hold for a month..yet to see a ground frost here which usually occurs sometime in the last half of August and an air frost which usually happens by now also...managed to hit 27/28c yesterday and Saturday

How does this year compare to recent years for you at this time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Don said:

How does this year compare to recent years for you at this time?

usually much cooler by now in general..not had a daytime high below 21c since early July ..for example on this day in 2018 it was snowing 🥶

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

usually much cooler by now in general..not had a daytime high below 21c since early July ..for example on this day in 2018 it was snowing 🥶

I'm sure autumn will arrive with a vengeance in the coming weeks!

• Like 1

Posted
20 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This September is shaping up to be far more interesting than last year's. I like a mixed September which is what this year is providing. 

We had some much needed rainfall last week, and this coming week will be providing us with some pleasant sunny days with cool (and hopefully) misty nights. Thankfully, temps are looking to be around average so it won't really be an extension of summer. 

Could well be a sandwich type month, one with three layers.. the top thick slice denoting wet and warm, middle dry and cooler, bottom slice.. average and wet possibly might be a thin slice...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's been a while since we've had a cool anticyclonic spell in September. Most recent ones have been warm, and the cool/cold spells have been cyclonic. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

A brief view of the model discussion had some people anxious that winterlike charts are appearing well too soon - well, at risk of exciting some people, many an interesting winter has seen little teasers in September. Gavin always looks out for interesting weather patterns around this time of year - I imagine he is doing so with much interest this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

I know it's still too long until winter to look into anything too deeply, and things will change again over the next month or so.

But I'm really loving seeing Europe cool down over the next week or so. Far too many years recently heat has hung around far too long into Autumn across swathes of Europe.

Obviously the heat could build back across Europe over the next month or so, but it's just nice to see such a cooldown for a change.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Getting a bit fed up of minimum temps in the high teens now. Cannot wait until the end of the week where lows dip into single figures, always a refreshing change!

• Like 1

Posted

This is the worst day in a loooonnngg time.

Sure we had a lot of rain last week however there was plenty of sunshine too.

Today was partly clear at dawn then quickly downhill and persistent rain since just after 08.30 with hours more to come.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
31 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Getting a bit fed up of minimum temps in the high teens now. Cannot wait until the end of the week where lows dip into single figures, always a refreshing change!

All tied in with my other pet hate... dullness. I hope this upcoming settled spell is sunny. September has been remarkably dull so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I'm travelling on a train to the SE today and it's very rainy down here, after leaving a sunny Sheffield.

• Like 2