Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
11 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Imagine being a storm lover and living in Coldstream right now, haha.

image.thumb.png.680cb73a27975843a7a239493fdf6afa.png

They would probably end up with a humdinger

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 hours ago, carl1980 said:

That's throwing out some good CG lightning ⚡

Split is having a goodun atm, plenty of live cams.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

I’ve noticed today I have high cirrus cloud perhaps an early sign of upcoming instability, seems a long time since I had a decent storm 

• Like 4

Posted
44 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

I’ve noticed today I have high cirrus cloud perhaps an early sign of upcoming instability, seems a long time since I had a decent storm 

Had a bit of a storm here on 25th June early evening, a few flashes with some decent rumbles.  The last decent storm was August 11th 2020, oh and what a fantastic storm that was, sigh.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

Noticed a few ac cas clouds building near me, perhaps a good sign for storms this coming week?

• Like 3

Posted
32 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Had a bit of a storm here on 25th June early evening, a few flashes with some decent rumbles.  The last decent storm was August 11th 2020, oh and what a fantastic storm that was, sigh.

Yes that’s the last one I remember, strobe lightning was fantastic 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, viking_smb said:

nice little cluster of storms has formed near to nnw france, and there is trough nearby hence why, but that will be moving into france overnight

Indeed. Trough moving in from the west for us in the Charente after midnight with storms likely from then though till mid morning Sunday. 37C here today down a couple of degrees on the last two days.

• Like 4

Posted
34 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

Indeed. Trough moving in from the west for us in the Charente after midnight with storms likely from then though till mid morning Sunday. 37C here today down a couple of degrees on the last two days.

Interesting, looking at the "current" radar it suggests it is tracking NW direction at the moment.

• Like 3

Posted

There's a definite change in the air now. For the first time in days the clear blue skies here in the Midlands are being replaced with huge clouds growing by the hour.

I predict the breakdown has started and we could see some huge storms earlier than predicted. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

As said above by you lovely lot, there's definitely some instability starting to happen noticed quite a bit of cirrus floating round this morning and some acas earlier on, now seems to be some cumulus looking stuff building quite nicely also noticing its starting to feel a bit more humid so I'll second that in saying it could be a breakdown earlier than expected

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

image.thumb.png.d0c61ea7d9c8f8311d7a5315989cd6ff.png

Strikes in Ireland at the mo

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Models had a good handle on the increase in mid-level cloud cover today, especially over the Midlands and continuing to increase into the evening - e.g. see 15z run of the Harmonie from yesterday 

uk_mcdc_202208131900-2.png

@staplehurst how's it looking for tomorrow night please mate?

Edited by viking_smb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I couldn't post in the European thread, but here's a view of the storms/rain just by france / sort of sw Uk

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/france/brittany/place-de-la-liberte-brest.html

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dami said:

I couldn't post in the European thread, but here's a view of the storms/rain just by france / sort of sw Uk

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/france/brittany/place-de-la-liberte-brest.html

Yes some interesting activity there ,seems things  are ahead of schedule 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

Yes some interesting activity there ,seems things  are ahead of schedule 

dan did mention in his forecast about this, however these will be confined to the very far sw tip of england and the scilly isles and across to ireland

Edited by viking_smb
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
1 hour ago, Row w said:

As said above by you lovely lot, there's definitely some instability starting to happen noticed quite a bit of cirrus floating round this morning and some acas earlier on, now seems to be some cumulus looking stuff building quite nicely also noticing its starting to feel a bit more humid so I'll second that in saying it could be a breakdown earlier than expected

Indeed.

Driving back from Newport at about 18:30, I noticed some proper cumulus building up just North of Donnington. Not seen clouds like that for weeks.

• Like 3

Posted
44 minutes ago, MikeUpjohn said:

Think these were the early hours of Weds 12th Aug 2020 if memory serves. This torched a house on the Tytherington Estate in North Macclesfield. Grabbed from video recording...

2020-08-13 (7).png

2020-08-13 (4).png

2020-08-13 (6).png

2020-08-13 (8).png

Yes Mike that's the one.  It started about 10.45, daughter and I were up on Blakelow Road for a while watching a perfect ballet dance of purple and lilac anvil crawlers, as it came west, it started to move overhead, the booms became louder, the graceful crawlers turned into orange C-C's, at this point we hastily drove home, then all hell broke loose.  Blinding white flashes, I remember hearing a 'hiss' just before one of the flashes, mega booms of thunder, continuous strobe lightning that lasted well into the early hours.  Never witnessed a storm like that before, never heard a hiss before.  Will be etched in my memory for years to come. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave
22 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Yes Mike that's the one.  It started about 10.45, daughter and I were up on Blakelow Road for a while watching a perfect ballet dance of purple and lilac anvil crawlers, as it came west, it started to move overhead, the booms became louder, the graceful crawlers turned into orange C-C's, at this point we hastily drove home, then all hell broke loose.  Blinding white flashes, I remember hearing a 'hiss' just before one of the flashes, mega booms of thunder, continuous strobe lightning that lasted well into the early hours.  Never witnessed a storm like that before, never heard a hiss before.  Will be etched in my memory for years to come. 

You should really try chasing with Netweather then. Tip of the iceberg that storm from 2 years ago 😄

• Like 2