Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Well it’s going out with a whimper here.  Cloudy and no signs of thunder…

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Im hoping for something today or tomorrow but feeling it might be unlikely here - showing rain on the radar here but nothing is falling.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, BrickFielder said:

I see a few discussions about supercells in the last day and thought a simple explanation might help. If winds change direction as you go up in the atmosphere then clouds will have a tendency to twist as air rises. If winds at a low level are light and winds increase with height then louds will tilt along with the higher winds aloft. Tilting will separate updraft and downdraft regions  and the twisting will rotate the cloud giving a supercell. If winds at the surface are very light and higher at the cloud base level  then winds will tend to have a rolling barrel effect below the cloud. This rolling or horizontal vorticity can be picked up by a twisting updraft region to form a tornado. This is very rare in the UK but not so rare in Europe hence why Estofex alerts tend to happen more in Europe.

As for today then the models would suggest storms for the west , east and north but not central areas.

gfs_el_eur18.thumb.png.0707142b7e0e64f0c8122822a41d9e25.pngukcapeli.thumb.png.d24ed2bf831bca005791deecfc769702.png

Upper level cooling is not really there like yesterday  for Northern parts so maybe not as high a risk of severe storms although I notice some model anomalies.

gfs_pvort_eur15.thumb.png.83a713dcd79e199201721661363da991.png

Looking at Satellite images then I see a frontal system moving eastward across parts of the west with embedded storms. That front seems to be moving faster than forecast so I am not totally convinced by modelling of where and when storms will occur. 

sound-Caerdydd-Cardiff-12.thumb.png.8a0e13107d49c0d3b2f8084e32a72a55.png

Tomorrow is a different scenario with a frontal system turning  thundery across Wales and central areas through the afternoon. Upper level cooling is better but the atmosphere profile has a tendency to be moist all the way up to the troposphere so there is a risk of very messy convection.

gfs_pvort_eur42.thumb.png.dd28e1d55d6888701bb9b83e51990b00.pnggfs_el_eur39.thumb.png.b28b54fde0b5f5c8aecf2229623b360d.png

Think radar watching might be a better option at this point.

Brickfielder, could you please explain the skew T chart,  as I like many others perhaps have difficulty understanding it. as i looked on the net but not very helpful with diagrams. many thanks 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow

Mid levels looking unstable here this morning. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Skies look very pre-storm here but forecasts are not that promising. However, there is much uncertainty. Do I stay at home or do I go out? What must a man do in these uncertain times 🤔

20220815_071640.thumb.jpg.eb5e715505e76fb96c91d7950697115e.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: stormy please.
22 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Skies look very pre-storm here but forecasts are not that promising. However, there is much uncertainty. Do I stay at home or do I go out? What must a man do in these uncertain times 🤔

20220815_071640.thumb.jpg.eb5e715505e76fb96c91d7950697115e.jpg

I actually think storms could pop up pretty much anywhere today, so staying at home will atleast save on the petrol. Its a radar watch day, skies are certainly showing storm potential.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Looking rather dark and ominous to my S/W 🤞

IMG_20220815_092041.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Today's storms are going to be very hit-and-miss, as is often the case in the UK. Don't be too disheartened if you don't get anything, as the majority won't. 

I'm mostly just hoping for rain at long last. This weak band of it coming in from the west had better not die out before it gets here!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Had a bit of rain already today and not expecting to see much else, however I do believe around the Exeter area is the sweet spot for storms today. Tomorrow is a more widespread risk for storms though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

If I was Oklahoma I would be chasing...(my tail probably)

Screenshot_20220815-095546_Chrome.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

The yellow thunderstorm warning for tomorrow was just updated to increase the likelihood from 'Very low' to 'Low'.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!

Warm and humid, 'smells' thundery. Current skyline looking out s/west...

20220815_095024.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
56 minutes ago, Row w said:

Looking rather dark and ominous to my S/W 🤞

IMG_20220815_092041.jpg

Rain, albeit a few drops, has been reported in Bridgnorth but across here the evil daystar is doing its level best to poke its nosey unwelcome nose in proceedings yet again.  Rain and storms seem all around us but, other than a light shower, it isn’t looking good for my area in most forecasts 😔😢

4DD509D9-AECB-4E3C-A4CB-6522AB5683CB.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Not out chasing today as don't feel risk is high enough, but target for me would be N Devon. Combination of wind convergence and orographic lifting (Exmoor) could result in a train of thunderstorms developing and could lead to some (possibly severe) flash flooding. Think tomorrow will produce more widespread activity across England & Wales. Wednesday looking confined to far S & SE England atm.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
2 hours ago, viking_smb said:

Brickfielder, could you please explain the skew T chart,  as I like many others perhaps have difficulty understanding it. as i looked on the net but not very helpful with diagrams. many thanks 🙂 

This is one of the better sites I've seen: https://weathertogether.net/weather-101/how-to-read-skew-t-charts/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Not out chasing today as don't feel risk is high enough, but target for me would be N Devon. Combination of wind convergence and orographic lifting (Exmoor) could result in a train of thunderstorms developing and could lead to some (possibly severe) flash flooding. Think tomorrow will produce more widespread activity across England & Wales. Wednesday looking confined to far S & SE England atm.

Will you chase tomorrow? Also, if possible, where do you think the highest risk is for tomorrow?

• Like 1

Posted

The initial band of rain shown on the radar would suggest that it has been raining for 3-4 hours in South Wales -- 
A lot of it has quickly evaporated when hit the ground, - and a lot of it hasn't hit the ground at all and the pavement is only 60% ish covered with rain drops, 
It is very humid today, not really seeing anything out the window that screams potential.

Looking further west toward Swansea on the radar, looks like some limited potential, -- perhaps like yesterday some storms will hit over the valleys and toward Brecon later on (?)