Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Major Hurricane Ian.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

The Sheriff of Lee County (includes Fort Myers, and Sanibel & Captiva islands) was interviewed on ABC news about an hour ago. He said fatalities in the area are understood to be in the hundreds. I so hope this is incorrect. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

"Honey was that the doorbell..."....

• Thanks 1

Posted

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Biden just saying early reports suggest significant loss of life has occurred. 

Terrible news. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

15 foot storm surge washes away homes in Fort Myers.

Hat’s off to whoever fitted the webcam and wonder what height it was. Also, notice the wind appears to change direction so quickly as the storm shifts.

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

A CoCoRaHS rain gauge report:

Daily Precipitation Report   
Station Number: FL-VL-1
Station Name: New Smyrna Beach 1.5 E
Observation Date   9/29/2022 9:00 AM
Submitted   9/29/2022 10:25 AM
Gauge Catch
28.60 in.
Notes
Ian still giving us rain and wind. I've emptied the gauge three times since 6am yesterday, 9/28. Twice it was running over.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, GSP said:

Hat’s off to whoever fitted the webcam and wonder what height it was. Also, notice the wind appears to change direction so quickly as the storm shifts.

This is the most shocking storm surge video capture I've ever seen. At 0:05 someone at that house opens the door and then goes inside again. I really hope whoever was inside there evacuated the area but I have a bad feeling this wasn't the case eventually. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

...and no, it should not be rebuilt. 

This is probably the wake up call that needs to be listened to. Some areas should not be rebuilt at all, some could be rebuilt, but with concrete structures on legs to withstand storm surge damage. This could happen again in 50 years, or next week. Chances are sooner rather than later now.

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Makes you wonder the sense of having enormous populations in such fragile places. It's it a bit like comparing the enormous population along the San Andrea fault in California?  It's not about if ,but when.......but we are talking millions of deaths with this situation 😟

Posted
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

...and no, it should not be rebuilt. 

This is probably the wake up call that needs to be listened to. Some areas should not be rebuilt at all, some could be rebuilt, but with concrete structures on legs to withstand storm surge damage. This could happen again in 50 years, or next week. Chances are sooner rather than later now.

It's a game of risk. 

I don't think we truly understand the American way of life. They live with very little safety net unlike here in the UK.

No NHS, no universal benefits and as a consequence are less risk averse than we are. 

People want to live there and builders will build to accommodate that. It will only be if local and state authorities forbid it and given American political tendencies of small government that is unlikely. 

• Like 1

Posted

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Once again we see the storm strengthening more than the forecasts. Only 24 hours ago it was expected to remain a tropical storm until landfall. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
11 hours ago, GSP said:

As others have said this is a worst video i have ever seen of a storm surge...not so much a surge as a full encroachment of the raging sea...terrifying . Also the before and after is telling...

Screenshot_20220930-082423_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ee35350705415240195cc4d6504685b2.jpg

Screenshot_20220930-082500_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a908707805e04f6eed2ee060a8901d1b.jpg

Just hope people including that person that opened the door of the house that was washed away got out before...this video should be used to educate people in future of the need to heed evacuation warnings...

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, minus10 said:

As others have said this is a worst video i have ever seen of a storm surge...not so much a surge as a full encroachment of the raging sea...terrifying . Also the before and after is telling...

Screenshot_20220930-082423_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ee35350705415240195cc4d6504685b2.jpg

Screenshot_20220930-082500_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a908707805e04f6eed2ee060a8901d1b.jpg

Just hope people including that person that opened the door of the house that was washed away got out before...this video should be used to educate people in future of the need to heed evacuation warnings...

I'm certain Max has the full video. I haven't seen him commenting about the resident(s) of the house. This probably means that the outcome wasn't good and out of respect he decided not to say anything. 

As you said, life comes first. Everyone needs to evacuate to safe areas under this kind of hurricanes. There's no way you can save your house or whatever. 

It's also so strange to me that all these people that move to certain parts of Florida take these risks. Don't they know they'll be in danger a lot of times? Different mentality than us maybe? Whenever I had to move houses inside UK I was always checking and avoiding flood prone areas. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Record low temperatures thanks to a hurricane... Right who had that on the 2022 🤯 weather stats bingo card 😄

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
0930satIAN.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Cat4 Hurricane Ian hit western Florida on Wednesday causing devastation and is now forecast to make another landfall along the Carolinas coastline.

Could contain:

• Like 2