Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
4 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Well, we need see a CET of less than -2.2 to not break the all-time highest CET record. Could this be achieved???

Could contain: Text, Plot, Chart

sub zero would be highly unlikely I’d say - could be one of the coldest on record though looking at these charts and if they became reality , 2010 was on the extreme scale so doubt that’ll be close to being touched.

long way off though, let’s see!! 

Nice looking chart at 240 but not that cold , the ENS will be interesting to see.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Disk

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

sub zero would be highly unlikely I’d say - could be one of the coldest on record though looking at these charts and if they became reality , 2010 was on the extreme scale so doubt that’ll be close to being touched.

long way off though, let’s see!! 

Nice looking chart at 240 but not that cold , the ENS will be interesting to see.

The high sinks southwest  over us from 216 to 240. Need this retrogression high up.. really.not sure what to think it.. 

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

Well, we need see a CET of less than -2.2 to not break the all-time highest CET record. Could this be achieved???

It’s the anomaly that needs to be less than -2.2C to not break the record.

So need the CET for December to come in at 2.3C or lower. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Rayth said:

Reason I followed @johnholmes advice a while back and picked one run to follow either 12z or 00z for me, then dissect the nuances from there , dissecting every 6 hours doesn’t give you the changes/progression in pattern for me 

And I always argue against this. Doing this means the run you are looking at is 24hrs out of date. A lot can change in that time!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Have to say it’s hard not to get a tad excited when looking at current charts/models etc. I know we have been burnt many times before but this just seems different to me. More like 2010 as in everything seems to be counting down and not constantly getting pushed back.

still feet firmly on the ground for now but with the way things are looking currently it would be sooo harsh for all this to disappear into the wilderness.

remember the trend is your friend not every single model run every few hours.

onto the 06z then we go 😂

One more thing before I go. Common England and common wales  ⚽️ 

Edited by markw2680
Spelling
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

As we head towards a spell of colder drier weather, (length and depth to be determined) it is worth remembering pretty much all our decent winters or wintry spells have ebbed and flowed.  None have ever been wall to wall screaming Easterlies for three months. Even 1947 and 1963 ebbed and flowed somewhat albeit within their extreme envelopes.

Even with good strong blocks, Scandi or Greenland the isobars will open out now and again to give quiet and cold rather than endless snowy troughs and disturbances. Like wise scandi block may slip southwest a bit before retrogression pulls it back northwest to Greenland. 

My advice if this winters starts to get really interesting is to go with the (ebb and ) flow.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 9

Posted

That high pressure stuck over central Europe for weeks giving us a very mild Autumn, has done us a favour for once by building North and West and bringing a colder Easterly flow instead 

Could be a prlonged spell of colder weather ahead. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yes the theory was correct...here it comes, nice big, correctly orientated block coming with extension to Greenland. This is what we need to see for a prolonged freeze rather than a spell

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Art

If only. We'd be drooling.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM ensembles hold steady, T240 mean anomaly:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

No ‘black hole’ this time, perhaps reflecting a greater uncertainty in position of the block - in fact I felt the ECM op was slightly disappointing as the block had sunk to a UK high by T240.  

Position and orientation of the block on the mean continues to look really excellent.

I mentioned uncertainty at this timescale, and that is reflected in the clusters, here T192-T240:

Could contain: Pattern, Book, Publication, Person, Comics

All blocked (all red borders) but some differences here.  I think I’d have put the op in cluster 5 rather than cluster 1 but that’s maybe from a parochial UK perspective!  Clusters 2 and 3 nicely show the vortex split options, while cluster 4 is just one ginormous block, full stop.

Moving to T264+

Could contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Person, Pattern, Outdoors, Ct Scan

Cluster 4 goes belly up with the Atlantic making inroads - unlikely it seems to me, and has only 6 members.  The other 3 show varying degrees of retrogression west with cluster 1 the least (the block stays mainly Scandi) and cluster 3 the most (full on Greenland high).

Also keep an eye on the orange splodge of heights around italy and greece!!idealy we want lower heights around there in future updates!!but everything else looking rosey!!

• Like 5

Posted

Really strong signal on the day 14.5 eps mean spread for the upper ridge west of the U.K. 

note the uncertainty s Greenland where it could be high or low heights …….. need to scan the stamps for that 

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Person, Pattern, Face, Head, Accessories

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Liam Burge said:

1 hour ago, mulzy said:

It’s the anomaly that needs to be less than -2.2C to not break the record.

So need the CET for December to come in at 2.3C or lower. 

A fair few Decembers between 1659 and 2021 come in at 2.3C or lower. The problem is that most of them are pre 1900.

Since 1950 only 7 out of 72 Decembers make the cut to prevent the annual CET record from getting broken.

Year    December CET
1995    2.30C
1961    2.20C
1976    2.00C
1962    1.80C
1950    1.20C
1981    0.30C
2010    -0.70C

1995 only just scrapes the requirement to prevent the record. Can't see us getting something that low even if the models are hinting at something colder.

Will need to see charts like these at regular points during December coming off to prevent the year ending as warmest on record

Could contain: Plot, Chart, OutdoorsCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Really strong signal on the day 14.5 eps mean spread for the upper ridge west of the U.K. 

note the uncertainty s Greenland where it could be high or low heights …….. need to scan the stamps for that 

Yep ,interesting chat on twitter about the SPV beginning to wind up to above average strength but not much sign of a coupling ,yet.....

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Hello.. if I understand correctly the above does suggest a reasonably amount of high pressure certainly to our north east.. so we have a case of does the high retrogress to Greenland or not with those yellows over greenie 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Happy Friday folks and a happy set of gfs ens with yes you guessed it...blocking scenarios left right and centre...

Could contain: Art, Outdoors, Graphics, Modern Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Accessories

Could contain: Outdoors, Art, Modern Art, Nature, Graphics, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Outdoors

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Plot, Chart

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The formidable blocking formats continue on the overnights! @ eps/ gefs.. let’s hope for similar- or more through today’s outs 🤘

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Pattern

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

• Like 6

Posted
31 minutes ago, SqueakheartLW said:

A fair few Decembers between 1659 and 2021 come in at 2.3C or lower. The problem is that most of them are pre 1900.

Since 1950 only 7 out of 72 Decembers make the cut to prevent the annual CET record from getting broken.

Year    December CET
1995    2.30C
1961    2.20C
1976    2.00C
1962    1.80C
1950    1.20C
1981    0.30C
2010    -0.70C

1995 only just scrapes the requirement to prevent the record. Can't see us getting something that low even if the models are hinting at something colder.

Will need to see charts like these at regular points during December coming off to prevent the year ending as warmest on record

Could contain: Plot, Chart, OutdoorsCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, ChartCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature   

Low minimums are the key to getting a 2C CET.   More easily achieved under a northerly than an easterly, given the latter is more prone to giving cloudy conditions and while suppressing the maximum temps, the minimums don’t fall far enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
14 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

The GWO is moving towards a phase where over the next week or so when we'll likely lose Atmospheric frictional torque and the AAM goes down . Beyond that we should enter phases of postive friction torque then southward momentum and circumglobal troughs as the AAM increases again so a brief dip then back to normal. You should also refer that there is still a lag correlation with this (not sure how long it is sorry) so keep that in note.

Agree with @MattH further up and he puts it more elegantly than I can and looking further on, as the quoted part of my post yesterday says, the AAM does dip soon (but shouldn't affect next week) but should truth back to a proper Nino state AAM and so the consequences of that will be that we get that increased -NAO chances.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1