Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM mean anomaly T240, a paler version of the op as you might expect:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Breaking that down, the clusters T192-T240, well the monster block is cluster 2 which contains the op and 18 members:

Could contain: Pattern

All 4 are Scandi block though (red border).

T264:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person

Here cluster 2 is the further evolution of the monster block, destination Greenland.  Cluster 3 goes for Scandi, cluster 1 more average.

My god mike those look fantastic!what a mean as well!just need lower heights in italy!

2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

ECM mean anomaly T240, a paler version of the op as you might expect:

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Breaking that down, the clusters T192-T240, well the monster block is cluster 2 which contains the op and 18 members:

Could contain: Pattern

All 4 are Scandi block though (red border).

T264:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person

Here cluster 2 is the further evolution of the monster block, destination Greenland.  Cluster 3 goes for Scandi, cluster 1 more average.

My god mike those look fantastic!what a mean as well!just need lower heights in italy!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

A complete novice here so excuse me if this is a daft question but what does mogreps have to say about this, why is it rarely mentioned and how often does it update? Cheers.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, frost and thunderstorms
1 hour ago, geordiekev said:

Instant red card to the first person who mentions 'breakdown' I'm afraid. Hard not to cherry pick with so many juicy charts to choose from

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Modern Art

I quite agree but we know that is what will be happening now. Lets get this in then enjoy it. Then we can 'worry' about the breakdown. First world problem.

• Like 4

Posted
41 minutes ago, legritter said:

Great posts gang,I'm a lurker and enjoying current outlook .Yes let's get the cold in and perhaps with warm sea temperatures we could see some of the white stuff .Net weather Forums its a 10 from me ,no not 10 day charts ,usual sausage baps and Stella's , take care all cheers 👍

You forgot two things to it pint beer and sitting in front of the log burner can’t go wrong with alll that 👍👍

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
39 minutes ago, Singularity said:

My eyebrows have raised this evening as GFS has produced a rare 'bottom-up' stratospheric polar vortex split via a trough splitting against Greenland & ECM has something similar by Greenland on the same day (next Sat)..

h500slp.pngnpst30.pngnpst30.png

ecm500.192.png

As far as I'm aware, this is what happened in late Nov 2010, so it's worth keeping an eye on future runs for any consistency regarding the trough split against Greenland.

What does a 'bottom-up' stratospheric polar vortex mean? Sorry for the dumb question.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

What does a 'bottom-up' stratospheric polar vortex mean? Sorry for the dumb question.

He means that the ‘splitting wave’ begins in the trop and then wells up through the strat ….. 

in contrast, an ssw works for us when it sends downwelling waves from the upper strat down into the trop 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

11 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

it means the splitting of the vortex works its way up from the part of the atmosphere near the surface into the stratosphere as opposed to a top down one which starts at the top of the strat (around  150000 - 170000 ft)  and works downwards to the lower levels.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Day 6 and the Atlantic hits the wall, could be a cold upgrade here - possibly before day 10 seeing the colder uppers 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Disk, Art, Nature

Main thing is its moved towards the ecm and ukmo!!!phew!!!lets see if it still manages to wreck things from here🤣!!

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Main thing is its moved towards the ecm and ukmo!!!phew!!!lets see if it still manages to wreck things from here🤣!!

Something like this maybe, the little bit of PV should help lower height further in the Med.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Well at 174 the NH profile is an absolute mess.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

NB.  That is a good thing, if you like cold

• Like 9

Posted

Taking shape at day 8, cold looks inbound to add some potency to the already established easterly feed.

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

• Like 7